Help ID Asian forest scorpion

Sillver

Arachnosquire
I went to the CRBE this weekend, for feeders and supplies and I left with a Asian forest scorpion,also got a sandfish skink. I decided to pick it up after my last one passed away. The only problem is the seller couldn't tell me what subspecies it was.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me Id it.

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I went to the CRBE this weekend, for feeders and supplies and I left with a Asian forest scorpion,also got a sandfish skink. I decided to pick it up after my last one passed away. The only problem is the seller couldn't tell me what subspecies it was.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me Id it.

I wish I could help, identifying Heterometrus species requires a keen eye maybe assisted by a jeweler's loupe. It basically breaks down to granulations on the claws and prosoma. The head where the eyes and chelicerae (mouthparts) are located.

But the most common unidentified species to be found in all the stores and online is H.petersii. I wouldn't recommend attempting to make definite ID unless one's eyes are trained.

Pic 1 - H.laoticus & H.petersii
Pic 2 - H.longimanus
Pic 3 - H.longinanus (subspecies as of 1982 when this paper was published)
Pic 4 - H.spinifer

H.longimanus and H.spinifer are rarer and the latter can fetch a higher price, they are also the largest of the more common AFS species. You cant rely on local pet stores and even online reptile dealers to know the species unless they are trustworthy to know their AFS (e.g. breeders).

I will leave the identifying to someone with a sharper eye and greater experience than I but most every AFS available atm is H.petersii.

Attachments

Sillver

Arachnosquire
I wish I could help, identifying Heterometrus species requires a keen eye maybe assisted by a jeweler's loupe. It basically breaks down to granulations on the claws and prosoma. The head where the eyes and chelicerae (mouthparts) are located.

But the most common unidentified species to be found in all the stores and online is H.petersii. I wouldn't recommend attempting to make definite ID unless one's eyes are trained.

Pic 1 - H.laoticus & H.petersii
Pic 2 - H.longimanus
Pic 3 - H.longinanus (subspecies as of 1982 when this paper was published)
Pic 4 - H.spinifer

H.longimanus and H.spinifer are rarer and the latter can fetch a higher price, they are also the largest of the more common AFS species. You cant rely on local pet stores and even online reptile dealers to know the species unless they are trustworthy to know their AFS (e.g. breeders).

I will leave the identifying to someone with a sharper eye and greater experience than I but most every AFS available atm is H.petersii.
Thanks for the info. I think it may be a H.spinifer because that's usually what I see and all the Expos I go to. If it's not it's not going to kill me not knowing.

Once again thanks for the info

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the info. I think it may be a H.spinifer because that's usually what I see and all the Expos I go to. If it's not it's not going to kill me not knowing.

Once again thanks for the info
Okay, mislabeling can and does happen. If you do have a H.spinifer and paid H.petersii pricing you scored big btw.