Help! I have what seems to be mild/fungi and I’m freaking out!

Zoologist777

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, this may be the millionth time this has been posted but it’s my first tarantula and I’m concerned. So today I noticed what seems to be mold growing within my reptisoil substrate. The species is a T. stirmi, and I’m very aware of the husbandry it needs. I’m nervous because I hear people have lost stirmis due to mold growing, please advise me what to do. Some people say to sanitize everything and remove it immediately and others say that it won’t hurt it. Please and thankyou

Attachments

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
It doesn’t look hard to get to, id just get it out with a spoon or something like that and try to keep it less moist in the enclosure. I’m not sure just how bad mold is but I try to keep my tanks clean. Better safe than sorry.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Ohh well if it’s in a hide maybe just block the doorway with something. Idk mold is from extra moisture and not enough ventilation. I had a spot or two in with a couple of my T’s. I don’t think it’s huge but the spiders lungs could get the mold inside and that’s not good so it definitely needs to be kept in check.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Try to get springtails and isopods to eat the mold.
Just add a bunch of them and they will eat all the mold away. And after that they will eat other fungi, the Ts poop or other things, that you might wanna get rid of.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I see this is a bit old, but I thought I would add that I have had a type of fungi that looks identical to yours growing in a couple pet terrariums for years with no problems. Admittedly, it is in frog tanks not a tarantula tank, so I don't know if it is toxic to arachnids. With the feeder insects running around in there, though, I would expect to notice something strange if it was toxic to arthropods. I have heard that some fungi can be beneficial, especially with plants, and this might help break down the tarantula's waste. Also, this fungi stays under the surface, so your tarantula might not come into contact with it much. Finally, I tried to annihilate this fungus when it appeared in my frog tanks, but it did nothing to remove the fungus.