1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!! I Dropped My Tarantula!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by WelshTan, Mar 3, 2009.

1. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    plz help me. . . . i was pinch holding my pinktoe to try n see if i cud see what sex it is. . .gently placed it back onto the substrate in its tank n it turned round, went to bite me, ran up my arm. .. . i was startled n flicked my hand before i thought bout it. . .my pink toe kinda flew in the air a bit but landed on its back in the tank on the substrate. . . ive closely inspected it front and back n its not appearing to be injured. . .do u think it mite die? from internal bleeding. . if it is gonna die how long will it take to die? it seems to be ok and has climbed back up the side of the tank n hasnt moved since. . .the tank is bout an inch taller than a standard video stood up on end. . . .with 3-4 inches of soft potting soil in the bottom

2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Arachnoknight Old Timer

it will die from internal bleeding it takes around a week or so.

3. jasen&crystal

jasen&crystal Arachnoknight

sorry to hear it and i hope it goes ok keep a close eye on it.

4. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

uh oh. . .. so not gud then .. . it landed on soft substrate tho? oh dear

5. stevetastic

stevetastic Arachnodemon

how far did it fall? when i first got into tarantulas i had a pink toe jump about 2 feet off a shelf on to a rug and it is still alive. arboreals can take a fall fairly well

6. :rolleyes: Reference? Every fall is different, you do not know enough about the situation from the original poster's description to come to such a conclusion.
    TBH

• Like Like x 2
  7. rejected1

rejected1 Arachnosquire

I hope your Avic is going to be fine. If it makes you feel better, I saw a vid in youtube where this guy's avic jumped about 3 feet height and landed on carpet. And its still alive.

8. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

This better be a fakepost.

WelshTan, ignore that guy. Arboreals generally handle falls better than terrestrials, although it would have done better if it had JUMPED that far intentionally rather than being tossed. If it is injured, there is no telling whether it will die or long it will take to die until it is actually dead. Just make sure it has water and leave it alone and we'll see. Good luck!

9. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

it fell cos i flicked my hand in a quick reaction cos it was the first time it got fast n went for me. . . .. i pulled my hand very quickly out of the tank. . . it kinda flipped upward n landed on the soft soil in the tank. . .

10. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Arachnoknight Old Timer

WelshTan, keep us updated and see whos right. ;)

11. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

i didnt mean to flick my hand. . .i got scared cos it went for me as i gently n slowly put it on the substrate. . . .ive never seen a pink toe go so fast!!!! it was lightening

12. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

i will definitely keep u updated. . . cos it will b useful for other people who have a similar experience too

13. jr47

jr47 Arachnobaron Old Timer

If its showing no ill signs then its probably good. All you can do is wait and see. I had a G. rosea that fell of the top of my bookcase, about 7 feet. Actually I knocked it off accidentally and it hit the floor, Broke the cage and dirt went every where. It was on top of the soil and the tank hit upside down. I had to dig it out. It was just fine and still alive. They are more durable than you think.

14. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

If your prediction turns out to be correct, it will be by pure coincidence only since you pretty much pulled that post out of your rear.

I'm going to have to bookmark this thread every time someone tries to tell a newbie that Avic species aren't "THAT fast." {D

15. jeff1962

jeff1962 Arachnobaron

This is very true, it just depends on the indivdual situation.

I was feeding my B. Albeceps slings a couple weeks ago and one jumped out of its container onto my desk. Proceeded to jump off the 3 foot desk and run across the floor.

It is fine now and has fed twice since then you just never know. You will just have to wait it out. If its not oozing any fluids thats a good sign.

16. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

thankyou for the msgs of confidence. . .. it is not showing any signs off illhealth. .. she is the same statue she has always been. . . i'm keeping my fingers, legs n even my eyes crossed for it. . .. really really hope it will be ok. . .im soooo panicking now

17. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

i gotta say the pinktoe was EXTREMELY fast!!!!!! ive never ever seen a tarantula move so fast. . . they definitely DONT seem to like being handled much. . .n i have rarely handled it due to its speed but really wanted to see what sex it was. . .but to no avail. . . .

18. jeff1962

jeff1962 Arachnobaron

Don't be to hard on yourself it happens. :)

19. WelshTan

WelshTan Arachnoprince

it isnt oozing any fluids or anything. . . ive checked it over front and back. . .all appears to be well on the surface

20. Very few animals "like" to be handled, inverts as a whole are not such animal.
    TBH