Help! How do I get escaped sling out of its hiding crack?

Kalesnow

Arachnopeon
My 1'' Holothele sanguiniceps escaped from its bottle (It's my fault, I feel terrible, won't happen again!!). After some frantic searching I found it; it's hiding in the crack between the shelf and the wall, I can't get it out! There was this one time I mistook my rose baby for a dead cricket and pulled it out of it's burrow without hurting it; so if I could reach it I would try this with the feeding tongs. But I can't reach it! What do I do? Anybody?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Consider a gentle burst of air from a compressed air can? Might flush it out of hiding without risk from direct manipulation.

Last edited:

Kalesnow

Arachnopeon
Consider a gentle burst of air from a compressed air can? Might flush it out of hiding without direct manipulation.
Thank you! I've tried using my water syringe to spray water on it, didn't work. Of cause it didn't; who likes being sprayed in the face with water! Why didn't I think of using air?! Anyway, thanks again! I'm going back to trying to get my baby back. I will not sleep until I do!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Thank you! I've tried using my water syringe to spray water on it, didn't work. Of cause it didn't; who likes being sprayed in the face with water! Why didn't I think of using air?! Anyway, thanks again! I'm going back to trying to get my baby back. I will not sleep until I do!
Good luck! I’ve heard of people using compressed air cans to separate a male and female when the female gets too aggressive during mating. Hope it works for you.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I've posted some catheters I got from my favorite veterinarian (and not just because I married her). They're called Tom Cat Catheters and I think they're used for precisely what you'd think.

However, they fit onto the end of a syringe and allow for refilling of water dishes through vent holes or moistening substrate in hard to reach places.

Anyway, they're very thin without being too rigid or too flimsy and I can't imagine they cost much. In fact, I bet even if you aren't married to your veterinarian they'd be more than happy to give you a few.

They fit on the end of my largest and my smallest syringes. It's probably not something you have on hand now, but it could be useful to others in a similar situation. I would think you could get that into a crack and nudge the little guy out pretty easily.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
You could also try blowing on it through a drinking straw to flush it out. I did that to get a Haplopelma out of its burrow and into a catch cup this morning.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Go to your broom. Pull out a broom straw. Bend broom straw to make a small hook. Go around and under your sling with the tip of the hook. Tickle it from underneath to make it come up and out. Be gentle so as not to hurt the sling. Be ready with catch cup. Put it back in it's home.

Good luck.

Kalesnow

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your advice and kind words. But bad news I'm afraid! After trying various blowing techniques for a few hours, I've managed to thoroughly piss off the sling and it disappeared completely out of sight into the crack (how deep is that freaking thing?!) I now have no other choice but to sit and wait. There is still a chance right? I mean it may become thirsty and decide to come out for a drink? Fingers cross!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Oh that sucks. I guess blowing on it isn’t too effective when it can just go deeper. Sorry man. Hopefully the prodigal son will return. Good luck!

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Would it help to affix a box over over the crack—preferably with some kind of hide, a little water and some other things the spider might like? Maybe then if it comes out, it doesn't wander into another part of the room/house.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ironic.. I was just reading a thread of Poec54s about a very similar situation.

I'd find something very light and flimsy and just shove it into the crack. Long as it can't hurt the sling, it's fine.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Ironic.. I was just reading a thread of Poec54s about a very similar situation.

I'd find something very light and flimsy and just shove it into the crack. Long as it can't hurt the sling, it's fine.

I know... A long flat but fluffy feather.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The downside to the air and poking things in the crack is that if you touch them from the wrong side they are going to pack in tighter or worse case go deeper.

That's why it's best to use something thinner to touch it from the backside so it wants to come out not go in.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
If the crack is deeper and not accessible from the other side, you might just have to sit and wait. You could try adding a little extension outside of the crack, if possible, and wait for the spider to walk into it.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Put a little trail of cricket legs to coax it out of the crack...

No in all seriousness, this sounds stressful and I hope you can coax it out soon. Keep us posted on what ends up working.