Help from knowledgeable folks with a general question

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
Hello,
Ok so I am familiar with tarantula anatomy and that the tarantulas hair is called setae. What I am wondering is what the function of the setae around a T's carapace are. They are almost feather like and look different than any other hair on the tarantula. Are they for protection or a deterrent like the urticating and other hair? Google hasn't been much help lol! Thanks in advance! All the best. Cheers❤

Last edited:

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
Yes setae...do you know if there is a different word to describe the fuzzy long ones that are around the carapace. They look different from the others. Maybe though they too are called setae to keep things simple? Either way ty.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yes setae...do you know if there is a different word to describe the fuzzy long ones that are around the carapace. They look different from the others. Maybe though they too are called setae to keep things simple? Either way ty.
All of a tarantula's "hairs" are setae.

They're just different types i.e. chemoreceptive/urticating/etc.

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
All of a tarantula's "hairs" are setae.

They're just different types i.e. chemoreceptive/urticating/etc.
Thank you that answers my very unclear question....do you by chance know what type the hairs around the tarantulas carapace are classed as? They look like feather often and I thought they might have more use than just irritating a predator. They also look quite different.They appear almost feather like IMO.Its not an important question just a curiosity. Thank you for your help though. I appreciate it

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thank you that answers my very unclear question....do you by chance know what type the hairs around the tarantulas carapace are classed as?
They are most likely sensory hairs, primarily used to detect vibrations and movements in the air. Tarantulas also have specialized setae that can detect chemical cues in their environement.

I believe the urticating setae is only present on the abdomen, the other bristles serve their own purpose.