help... flat rock babies

Dave roberts

Arachnopeon
Help.

I just noticed my flat rock who I've had for 6 months eating what looked at first glance a freshly shed cricket. Which was odd as I feed locusts.

Then I noticed it looked more like a baby scorpion as I could see it's distinctive tail. I took a picture and it reared up showing another one. They are about 1cm long

She had last few days dug out her hiding place in and pulled up the substrate outside

How many will she lay.

Will she eat more (is this normal)

When should I feed her (usually eats a 5th every week)

Do i need to do anything move them?

I know they usually piggyback That's about all I know

Any advise would be great

Attachments

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
What temps are uou keeping her at ?
She could be eating them due to something not being right with the babies or the conditions she's being kept in.
Hope she doesn't eat them all and you get to keep some of them

DescartesX

Arachnopeon
Try to maintain a relatively higher humidity and temperature compare to what she currently in and try not to disturb her. Hopefully she would not eat them all. You can separate them once the baby reach 2instar. They will molt and change their color and also get off the mother's back. Or, you can just throw in some pre-kill crickets after 2i if the enclosure is big enough. Hope everything goes well.

Dave roberts

Arachnopeon
Was one on is back this morning in her hidebut it's now gone presume eaten. I just put in a legless locusts in front of her next her hide which she is now eating.

I'll stick in another later then if she does lay any more hopefully she won't eat any.

What are the chances of survival if I take the babies away as soon as if possible and feed them pinheads

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Normally she would be under one of those rocks having babies, she might be stressed for some reason.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's weird that she keeps eating them. Has to be some sort of stressor causing that. You'll have to wait until they molt to 2i and crawl off mom's back and then you can separate them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree that something has stressed it thus causing the cannibalistic behavior.

@Dave roberts was it out in the open like that when you discovered it or did you pull up its hide?

Dave roberts

Arachnopeon
I agree that something has stressed it thus causing the cannibalistic behavior.

@Dave roberts was it out in the open like that when you discovered it or did you pull up its hide?
Wad out of hide it's back under now has eaten 3 locusts between now and then (I deleted them And placed then near hide)

She has at least 9 or 10 that I can see so probably more on her back as she is in hide. Last checked 2 days ago

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Wad out of hide it's back under now has eaten 3 locusts between now and then (I deleted them And placed then near hide)

She has at least 9 or 10 that I can see so probably more on her back as she is in hide. Last checked 2 days ago
I presume you mean you pre-killed them. That is good, you don't want live prey in there while the babies are on her back. Once they molt to 2i and drop off you can separate them.

Dave roberts

Arachnopeon
I presume you mean you pre-killed them. That is good, you don't want live prey in there while the babies are on her back. Once they molt to 2i and drop off you can separate them.
I de-legged it so it could not move. She took and killed it within 2 minutes.

Dave roberts

Arachnopeon
Surviving brood of 37 so must had around 40 to 45 seeing she ate some.

Babies 2nd instar and glowing under light. A few were already leaving back so carefully separated them. incase she started to see them as dinner again. Did not need much coaxing

Fingers crossed most thrive

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man that's a lot of babies. I like this species, I have some captive born adults, real easy to raise when the conditions are right(dry with a water source has worked over here). Just some trivia, H. troglodytes grow a lot faster than H. paucidens, still slow, just sayin.