Help finding a suitable terrarium

Jay88

Arachnopeon
So i have been looking at getting a tarantula for a while now and finally decided to go ahead with it, I've pretty much settled on a Mexican red knee or a Chilean rose hair, I found everything I need for one but I can't seem to find a decent terrarium, I'll be buying an adult male hopefully, I'd rather not get just a tupperware style box for one, but if it comes down to it I'll have to, trying to find one that's not super expensive but that's the right size for an adult and doesn't look like crap, hopefully I haven't looked like an idiot here, thanks for reading this if anyone does.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My first question is, why are you getting a mature Male? They don't live very long at all and are really bad at eating. Also their short life means that you won't get as much use out of that terrarium, and since you want to get something nice then personally I'd want something that would be able to live in it longer so I wouldn't just have an empty tank after a few months. That being said, look at the larger kritter keepers and exo terra breeder boxes. Those are cost effective and look fairly nice.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Why an adult male??? Mature males don't live very long, they live either around year or less for both of those species.

Jay88

Arachnopeon
My first question is, why are you getting a mature Male? They don't live very long at all and are really bad at eating. Also their short life means that you won't get as much use out of that terrarium, and since you want to get something nice then personally I'd want something that would be able to live in it longer so I wouldn't just have an empty tank after a few months. That being said, look at the larger kritter keepers and exo terra breeder boxes. Those are cost effective and look fairly nice.
I was recommended an adult male, I thought they lived longer than that stupid mistake, I was under the impression that if I got an adult male it would be the easiest to care for.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I was recommended an adult male, I thought they lived longer than that stupid mistake, I was under the impression that if I got an adult male it would be the easiest to care for.
Who recommended you the mature Male? Females live much much longer than males. The only real difference between caring for a mature Male and female would be how often the male eats, which is very rarely. While you could care for one just fine, the lack of feeding makes most first time owners nervous.

Jay88

Arachnopeon
Who recommended you the mature Male? Females live much much longer than males. The only real difference between caring for a mature Male and female would be how often the male eats, which is very rarely. While you could care for one just fine, the lack of feeding makes most first time owners nervous.
A friend recommended a mature male, he has a couple of T's so I just took it as solid advice, I definitely don't want to get a sling and I thought males live a little longer than a year as an adult, I knew females live alot longer tho, maybe I should go with a female.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A friend recommended a mature male, he has a couple of T's so I just took it as solid advice, I definitely don't want to get a sling and I thought males live a little longer than a year as an adult, I knew females live alot longer tho, maybe I should go with a female.
Your friend, sorry to say, is a terrible source of info. Mature males are for breeding, mostly.
If he is the one you get all your info from, I would like to know what else he told you about spiders. Is he the one with the mature male for sale?

Jay88

Arachnopeon
Your friend, sorry to say, is a terrible source of info. Mature males are for breeding, mostly.
If he is the one you get all your info from, I would like to know what else he told you about spiders. Is he the one with the mature male for sale?
No, I've looked on a few sites mainly http://www.spidersworld.eu/en/
Some of the info I have on T's is from him mostly from YouTube or just the Internet in general.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I thought males live a little longer than a year as an adult
That's fairly accurate. But were you wanting a pet that only lived for a year after you got it?

In terms of total lifespan, males usually fall somewhere in the 3-7 year area. Females can live about 15-30 years, depending on the species. (The tropical species live shorter lives, and the more arid species live longer ones.)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sounds like your friend is trying to unload some MMs at your expense.

Not good advice, frankly thats like taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better IMO. Get yourself a subadult female, she will be with your for a long time...MMs just roam and wander in search of females, they barely eat, etc...worthless to anyone but a breeder who has females at the ready.

Jay88

Arachnopeon
That's fairly accurate. But were you wanting a pet that only lived for a year after you got it?

In terms of total lifespan, males usually fall somewhere in the 3-7 year area. Females can live about 15-30 years, depending on the species. (The tropical species live shorter lives, and the more arid species live longer ones.)
I wasn't completely sure, I just wanted a T that's easy to care for and for beginners, the gender part didn't really cross my mind till he recommended a male, I'm also starting to doubt what he said about feeding a T too, that gut loading crickets isn't necessary, because I said I didn't really want to breed crickets as well as keeping a T.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
These YouTube channels provide excellent info and care advice on pretty much all aspects, and are spot on as well:

mass17

Arachnopeon
Hi Jay88,

Yeah I might recommend getting a juvenile T, that you way you can see them grow and they are easier to care for than a sling.

I enjoy using the Exo Terra breeding box as a terrarium. It has easy access feeding doors and good ventilation. They are also stackable if you get more later.

Also I switched from feeding them crickets as they are quite noisy. Now they feed on B. Lateralis roaches (Turkistan / Red runner). The roaches don't jump and they can't climb the plastic walls, they also don't burrow.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I think your friend may have suggested a male as you'll get a big spider without laying out a lot of cash to perhaps only decide later that tarantula keeping is not your thing, a cheaper way to investigate a potential hobby?

cold blood

Staff member
I'm also starting to doubt what he said about feeding a T too, that gut loading crickets isn't necessary, because I said I didn't really want to breed crickets as well as keeping a T.
This part is accurate. Just feed prey items, its not necessary to do anything special.

Almost no one breeds crickets...we buy them at pet stores typically....but there are many feeders that can be used...wax worms, meal worms, super worms, roaches (so many species), locusts, even earthworms...and probably some I am missing.

agree with the consensus...leave the MMs to breeders.

Jay88

Arachnopeon
Hi Jay88,

Yeah I might recommend getting a juvenile T, that you way you can see them grow and they are easier to care for than a sling.

I enjoy using the Exo Terra breeding box as a terrarium. It has easy access feeding doors and good ventilation. They are also stackable if you get more later.

Also I switched from feeding them crickets as they are quite noisy. Now they feed on B. Lateralis roaches (Turkistan / Red runner). The roaches don't jump and they can't climb the plastic walls, they also don't burrow.
Thanks man, that's helped alot, I'll probably go with superworms for feeding they're the easiest for me to get regularly and the exo terra boxes are what I was looking at, wasn't sure if they were good for keeping one in or just for temporary housing.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks man, that's helped alot, I'll probably go with superworms for feeding they're the easiest for me to get regularly and the exo terra boxes are what I was looking at, wasn't sure if they were good for keeping one in or just for temporary housing.
Just make sure you crush the heads of supers before feeding. This not only prevents them from burrowing away, but also from damaging your t.