HELP!!! Eggs in danger!!!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As most of you know, our P. chordatus laid her eggs yesterday morning. However, she has not wrapped them up into a sack, they are still just laying on top of her webbing, and looking as if they are drying out.
Is there anything we can do? Should we remove the eggs with a spoon and try to take care of them?
Someone please try to help, these are our first eggs and we don't want to loose them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry Mina, there is nothing you are going to be able to to to save them. :(

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
might as well try. could learn something interesting

did she make the egg laying bowl of silk?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, she did, but it really wasn't thick enough. I don't know if trying to take them out would do any good or not.
The "soup" that was laid with them is rapidly drying out. I don't think she put enough webbing under them to hold in the moisture.
I'm so heartbroken, these would have been our first babies. :(
I afraid you are right, Ryan. I was hoping to be like you soon, and be overrun with babies. :(

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The P. chordatus web things up quite a bit. Would it be worth a try to grab some of the webbed substrate and lay over the "soup" to try to enclose them better and then try to incubate them yourself? It seems to me it would be worth a try since moma has left them and given up. Sorry about all this Mina. I think you gotta try something. ;)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unfortunately not all webs are the same. Females construct a very specialized web for holding eggs that "breathes" a certain way. It keeps moisture in but yet keeps molt from forming...taking webbing from elsewhere unfortunately won't cut it.

Sorry to hear about your experience Mina...any ideas as to why she stopped? Was there a disturbance?

:(

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We tried to take them away this evening. Matthias cupped her to get her out of our way and she calmly walked into the cup. ( I took that as a bad sign, if she was upset about us invading her turf and threatening her babies, she would have been threating and striking)
We took out the eggs and they were congealed in a mass together, and rapidly turning a dark gold instead of the healthy light yellow an egg should be.
There was not enough webbing to attempt to wrap them, and it was clear from the way they were cemented together that they weren't any good.
We fixed her house and put her back. I'm sure she knew the eggs were no good and that was why she was so calm, we were no threat to non-viable eggs.
@ Danny, no, I have no idea why she didn't complete the sack unless she knew after laying them they were no good. No she wasn't disturbed in any way.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
That's sad. I had a T. blondi that laid her eggs on the dirt THEN made the mat over the top.... frusterating especially when your so looking forward to that particular species!

Maybe next time!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately not all webs are the same. Females construct a very specialized web for holding eggs that "breathes" a certain way. It keeps moisture in but yet keeps molt from forming...taking webbing from elsewhere unfortunately won't cut it.

Sorry to hear about your experience Mina...any ideas as to why she stopped? Was there a disturbance?

:(
Yeah but it's better than not trying to save them if the female is doing nothing. Just an idea.

Sorry mina. I think your logic that she knew they were no good id very reasonable.