Help! Curly hair tarantula hasn't moved from the same corner for three weeks

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
Hi, everyone. I recently cleaned out my Curly Hair's tank three weeks ago. Now, he seems to be heavily stressed out hiding in one corner of the tank. I've noticed webbing in the corner he's been hanging out in. But, what worries me is that prior to moving him from the tank to clean it, he was a pretty active tarantula. It worries me as he has had relatively low movement and right now he has his three legs over his eyes. He has been like this since last night around midnight. I'm afraid he may be stressing himself to death and I'm afraid he may be dead already. His legs seem to be all over the place where some of his legs are straight, others are nudged against the glass, and some over his eyes. I don't notice any liquid coming from him. There is no noticeable smell in the tank. Before writing this, I put his tank in a darker and slightly quieter spot. Are there any recommendations that I should use in order to help him?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Hi, everyone. I recently cleaned out my Curly Hair's tank three weeks ago. Now, he seems to be heavily stressed out hiding in one corner of the tank. I've noticed webbing in the corner he's been hanging out in. But, what worries me is that prior to moving him from the tank to clean it, he was a pretty active tarantula. It worries me as he has had relatively low movement and right now he has his three legs over his eyes. He has been like this since last night around midnight. I'm afraid he may be stressing himself to death and I'm afraid he may be dead already. His legs seem to be all over the place where some of his legs are straight, others are nudged against the glass, and some over his eyes. I don't notice any liquid coming from him. There is no noticeable smell in the tank. Before writing this, I put his tank in a darker and slightly quieter spot. Are there any recommendations that I should use in order to help him?
Why did you clean out the tank? Do you mean just minor spot cleaning, removing boli, etc. or actually clearing out the entire tank? There's no need to clean out the entirety of a tank unless there's mold or something along those lines in it (which should never be the case because curly hairs aka brachypelma albopilosum should be on dry substrate). If you switched out all the substrate and everything, it's essentially like putting it in an entirely new home. It sounds like it's still stressed from the rehouse. Make sure it has a filled water bowl and leave it alone to try to get readjusted. Moving it to a quieter, darker spot was a good call.

Sorry if I was wrong about my assumption that you switched out all the substrate, but in this context, that's just the conclusion I was drawn to

Also, pics are generally helpfully

Deb60

Arachnosquire
When you cleaned him out you didn't need to move him from his set up , you only need to clean out any dead prey out of his set up . His properly stressed as you say by the sounds of what you have described. I don't think his in a Death Curl , just trying to get used to being back into what to him is a new set up as he was moved . Don't worry I'm sure he well be fine .

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Photos help a lot. We can see issues with the T or the enclosure and tell you what to do about them.

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
Why did you clean out the tank? Do you mean just minor spot cleaning, removing boli, etc. or actually clearing out the entire tank? There's no need to clean out the entirety of a tank unless there's mold or something along those lines in it (which should never be the case because curly hairs aka brachypelma albopilosum should be on dry substrate). If you switched out all the substrate and everything, it's essentially like putting it in an entirely new home. It sounds like it's still stressed from the rehouse. Make sure it has a filled water bowl and leave it alone to try to get readjusted. Moving it to a quieter, darker spot was a good call.

Sorry if I was wrong about my assumption that you switched out all the substrate, but in this context, that's just the conclusion I was drawn to

Also, pics are generally helpfully
Thanks for the response guys! I did clean out the whole tank. I replaced the substrate with new substrate. I thought I had to replace the substrate every six months like the EcoEarth bag said. His tank looked pretty good other than vitamin deposits on the side of the tank. I actually held him when I took him out of the tank. This was his first time being held because I didn't want to stress him out before I cleaned the tank. He molted about a week prior to me taking him out of the tank.

Attachments

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the response guys! I did clean out the whole tank. I replaced the substrate with new substrate. I thought I had to replace the substrate every six months like the EcoEarth bag said. His tank looked pretty good other than vitamin deposits on the side of the tank. I actually held him when I took him out of the tank. This was his first time being held because I didn't want to stress him out before I cleaned the tank. He molted about a week prior to me taking him out of the tank.

Attachments

Leila

Arachnobaron
So when did he last molt? You said 'a week prior to me taking him out.' Does that mean he molted a week ago?

EDIT: Silly me. You said you cleaned it out 3 weeks ago in the OP. Sorry for not reading the details you clearly spelled out. :embarrassed:

So that means your B. albopilosum molted 4 weeks ago, yea?

Last edited:

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
So when did he last molt? You said 'a week prior to me taking him out.' Does that mean he molted a week ago?

EDIT: Silly me. You said you cleaned it out 3 weeks ago in the OP. Sorry for not reading the specifications you clearly wrote. :embarrassed:

So that means your B. albopilosum molted 4 weeks ago, yea?
Yep

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
This is my first tarantula. I also have a scorpion as well. I did the same thing with him but he seems to be ok.

Leila

Arachnobaron
There is a electrical cord dangling off the enclosure. What does that power?

Also, your Brachypelma albopilosum (common name: [Honduran/Nicaraguan] Curly Hair) is adorable. :)

S/he could simply be lethargic from the recent molt. Tarantula's personalities can also change sometimes post-molt, going from active to less active, docile to skittish, etc. I personally do not think you have reason to be alarmed or worried.
Tarantulas, in general, aren't incredibly active. There are exceptions, of course.

Now, about that cord?

TROCKMONEYK

Arachnopeon
There is a electrical cord dangling off the enclosure. What does that power?

Also, your Brachypelma albopilosum (common name: [Honduran/Nicaraguan] Curly Hair) is adorable. :)

S/he could simply be lethargic from the recent molt. Tarantula's personalities can also change sometimes post-molt, going from active to less active, docile to skittish, etc. I personally do not think you have reason to be alarmed or worried.
Tarantulas, in general, aren't incredibly active. There are exceptions, of course.

Now, about that cord?
Thanks:) It is a temperature probe. I have it set to about 28 degrees celsius.

cold blood

Staff member
1. Rmove the heat....it does not need additional heat....especially during summer. Additional heat can also speed males toward maturity.

2. Like said, a t doesnt need sub changed on a regular basis, only for housing upgrades or infestations of sorts...even then they'd need to be pretty severe. My G. porteri is on sub over a decade old....it doesnt just go bad....putting that on the bag is good for business...not the spider. Its actually very disruptive as you have noticed.

3. Looks like a mature male.

boina

Lady of the mites
He's still a juvenile a I believe. He was a decent size when I got him 6 months ago. Certainly not adult size though.
This is not a juvenile, this looks very much like a mature male. The internet makes some strange and overblown claims about tarantula size, but what you have seems very much like adult size.

Anyway, as @cold blood said: there's absolutely no need for heat lamps, heat controls, humidity controls or substrate change. Otherwise he just might have liked a better hide, but generally you've a nice setup :).

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
It's just super stressed from the rehouse. It's perfectly well and healthy so no worries. Funny because the exact same thing happened to me. I just gently nudged its abdomen but I would recommend leaving it alone.