Help! Chilean rose appears to be dying

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thanks for your help. There's so many opinions out there about ICUs and humidity levels. I was worried her room was too cold in the day when the heating is not on, or was too dry and not humid enough when the heating was on, hence why I topped up with water. I put the extra substrate in a month ago to make the ground higher to protect her from falls as she was climbing the sides and we were worried her leg would get caught in the mesh lid.
ICU's are generally for specific species of T's (especially slings) that have been without water (or food containing moisture) for too long. It is primarily needed due to failures on T's that are shipped in hot temperatures. The genus for your T gets almost (if not all) of its moisture from the prey. Always keep a nice water dish full of clean water but never moisten the substrate for this genus.

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
Ok, so bit of an update.
Firstly, my husband says he blew on her about an hour and a half ago and that he saw her legs move, so that's a glimmer of hope for us.
Secondly, we have taken her out of Icu and put her on top of the substrate and placed her hide over her.
FYI, She seemed stiff and papery when we nudged her out of the container.
She lives in my sons room and the lights are off so it's very dark in there.
Should I take pics of her or will that disturb her to turn the lights back on?
Also, is it a good idea to have the hide over her? If we need to see her clearly in the morning, will it disturb her to lift it up?
We thought she would appreciate being in her place of safety but maybe she should be in the open? So many questions!

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
The only thing you should worry about with rosies is low temps for long periods of time, dehydration or moist habitat.

If you have any dry coir left over I would add another layer into your enclosure along with water dish.

As for worrying about a mesh lid. Each enclosure I have with a mesh lid is taped on the underneath with about 3.5" of tape around the sides.

Like this one -
View attachment 229346

Works like a charm.

Keep us updated please.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok, so bit of an update.
Firstly, my husband says he blew on her about an hour and a half ago and that he saw her legs move, so that's a glimmer of hope for us.
Secondly, we have taken her out of Icu and put her on top of the substrate and placed her hide over her.
FYI, She seemed stiff and papery when we nudged her out of the container.
Also, is it a good idea to have the hide over her? If we need to see her clearly in the morning, will it disturb her to lift it up?
We thought she would appreciate being in her place of safety but maybe she should be in the open? So many questions!

Yes having the hide over her is fine as long as there is a waterdish near the entrance. At this stage it may be better to leave her be. I'm afraid its a case of 'time will tell'. I wish her the best of luck. Let us know if there is any progress within the next day or two.

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
Yes having the hide over her is fine as long as there is a waterdish near the entrance. At this stage it may be better to leave her be. I'm afraid its a case of 'time will tell'. I wish her the best of luck. Let us know if there is any progress within the next day or two.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No disturb at all... normal room light isn't an issue. Lights upon/near the enclosure, on the other hand, are. But not that.

The hide is always an essential part of the enclosure so don't worry... your Theraphosidae can exit anytime. Personally I wouldn't disturb her tomorrow morning, aside for "bad news", of course, like seeing a death curl or something. Water dish, bone dry substrate, the hide, quiet... is always a perfect mix.

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you so much for the great advice - you have been so helpful and kind. I'll keep you posted.

#prayforsanti

!!

dopamine

Arachnobaron
How big is she? She could honestly just be old. Probably wild caught so there's no way to be certain.

Jure Ilesic

Arachnopeon
I have a similar problem my rosea is actting really sluggish.And I am afraid that she is going to die. Please help!!

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I think it was old age, just no way of knowing. So sad she has left us but thanks for all your help.

Alicedarling

Arachnopeon
Sadly, I am 99% certain she has died. There has been literally no response in the last 48hrs. The weird thing is she looks in such good condition and when you touch her she feels firm and springy as opposed to thin and wispy. ( see pics attached)
I read that the only way of knowing they are truly dead is if their abdomens shrink and they start to smell pretty soon afterwards but there are neither of these signs, even though I think she died on Sunday.
My son is pretty inconsolable as you can imagine but just want to thank you for all your help over the weekend. Even though we only had her since August she was a magnificent pet and has left a terrible void

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just to be sure I would leave her be for another day or two just to be sure. Sometimes Ts are very good at playing dead. They seem to switch off sometimes.

If it dies, or maybe has already, please dont let it deter you from this hobby. For at the beginning it is all a learning curve.

I still give you hope that she may come well again. If not, I give you my condolences.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
if she is barely responsive, flip her over. Drip water on her mouth. She will flip on her own. Repeat until either she molts out of it or just stops.
IF there is any "jerky" movement, that means she got into something toxic. 50/50 chance she will be fine.