1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Bug Infestation

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Spiderlass, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Spiderlass

Spiderlass Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi All

I am looking for some advise. I have a MM Grammasola rosea and Grammasola pulra spiderling
    living/loving life in my back room /spider room. I am having lots of issues with a carpet beetles and fruit flies. I am convinced they came from the cricket/locust feeder tubs I got from local pet store.

I want to clear up and remove the pests, but I am worried about insecticide residue/ potential harm to my Taranulas. Any advise or ideas would be helpful.

Some of the fruit flies made it to my kitchen, I nuked them with fly spray and extensive chemicals......I am just worried doing the same would leave traces in the room that would harm/ kill my Ts.

Many Thanks

2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

:hilarious:

Careful with that stuff, for that doesn't kill only bugs :)

Yes, definitely. Such crap should never enter into a T/invert room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Don't use anything that floats in the air. No sprays, bug bombs, or anything like that. Direct contact traps are your best bet. Apple cider vinegar in a few bowls around the room should help a good deal with the fruit flies. They come in and accidentally drown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoprince Active Member

I’m still fighting a fruit fly invasion they took over my dubia colonies.
    Don’t use pesticides bad for you bad for any inverts in your home.

5. Marshall Bennett

Marshall Bennett Arachnopeon

USA
    Fruit flies can cause a major havoc. I think cleaning is the best prevention from such pests. Try to prevent them from breeding inside the house. You may also try Electric Fly Swatters or Fly Catchers for fighting fruit flies. Also, you can hire pest control services to smoke the fruit flies out of your house or leave them dead on the floor.

6. SpaceM

SpaceM Arachnopeon Active Member

Another option would be if you know anyone that could take care of your T's for a few weeks you could remove them from your house leaving you free to use pesticides. You'd still need to use as little (and as targeted) as possible leave at least a few weeks with good ventilation to be safe.
    Best avoided if you can though as it would be hard to say for certain that pesticide no residue remains.