Help: AGB Millipede

lunallena669

Arachnopeon
So. I am concerned. I haven't held my AGB for quite a while until tonight, and now I notice she has some like... fuzz ? There's white fuzz on the face, under her mouth and on the first couple sets of legs up there. What is it ? She's acting normal so idk if it's harming her. Can they grow hair or is something infecting her what can I do ? Please help, thanks!

Tried to get a photo, pretty hard since she wouldn't stop moving lol.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Hm, mold maybe? Perhaps it’s growing in her cage and it got stuck on her. That’s my only guess but the picture is kind of dark.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Pathogenic fungi are common and usually fatal in AGBs. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent these fungal attacks and few ways to cure them. The only treatments are to use human fungicide for athlete's foot which is very dangerous to millipedes even when diluted.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Pathogenic fungi are common and usually fatal in AGBs. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent these fungal attacks and few ways to cure them. The only treatments are to use human fungicide for athlete's foot which is very dangerous to millipedes even when diluted.
Could she not gently pull the fungus off? or is this usually pretty stuck on to the point where pulling it off would hurt the pede? I know that if she could pull it off then there could still be spores but it could be worth a shot if you think it can be done.

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
if the fungus is growing on the millipede, pulling it wont help. the mycelium has already rooted itself in the millipede. just an idea, but maybe a weak acid like vinegar or lemon juice to might kill the fungus. i've used both on molds before, and they might not harm the millipede much(just speculation, no experience)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This doesn't look like the "old age" fungus that I have seen, but they picture isn't real close. I used Clotrimazole 1% for that. I just put a dab on my finger and rubbed over the locations where I saw the fungus. I rubbed up and down the length to get it under the segments. I treated one for two years. It would go away for a while but always came back. Sometimes it would be gone for several months. I believe I treated for 3 days, but I will look for a post that would be something I wrote during the treatment. I'll tag you if I find it.

Of course, I have no authority to tell you to do this; it's what I tried and it seemed to work. But you are taking a risk, of course.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I found an older post and tagged you. Just remember, this is a last resort and could be harmful. Your millipede looks fairly young in that photo, so it may not be the same issue I was dealing with. My millipede was at least 11 years old.

Last edited: