Heloderms

Stugy

Arachnolord
I would love to keep one but not sure on laws in California plus I would never have enough money to afford one or maintain one (just buying 1 heat emitter thingy (kinda like a lamp but no light) killed my wallet for the year.). May I ask where you obtained such a beautiful reptile? I have seen a few myself, most of which in a zoo and the other while passing through Arizona.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to keep one but not sure on laws in California plus I would never have enough money to afford one or maintain one (just buying 1 heat emitter thingy (kinda like a lamp but no light) killed my wallet for the year.). May I ask where you obtained such a beautiful reptile? I have seen a few myself, most of which in a zoo and the other while passing through Arizona.
Yeah, they are illegal some places, it appears California is one of them :(

I got him from a friend of mine. Saw him while working at a show a month and a half ago, and had a feeling I would end up with him lol

Stugy

Arachnolord

I got him from a friend of mine. Saw him while working at a show a month and a half ago, and had a feeling I would end up with him lol
Damn... At least I can get in scorpions. Once I'm old enough I'm off to Arizona or Texas lol. Or maybe New Mexico. California's annoying! Pretty awesome stuff. I hadn't been to a reptile show in like 3 years or so. Was my first time and so far has been my last time :( Soon!

Last edited:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron

Had no idea illegal in CA. Any idea why? Strange, my brother kept one growing up in MI.
Enjoy

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful animal Rick. I'd have one if I could afford it and had the ability to house it properly and safely (not sure I could with my situation right now)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
They're native to parts of California. It probably has more to do with the venomous aspect of it.
Yeah that makes sense. Seems kind of silly, though, since to my knowledge they're not actually dangerous, just unpleasant

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Has nothing to do with being venomous or not, it is to do with the rarity within the state.
Could you explain a bit? I have no knowledge in this area....are the populations at risk in the wild? Or perhaps I misunderstood...I imagine each state is different. Just curious

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I suspect they are more common in their California range than is known. However they are very rarely encountered as they rarely active above ground except when the conditions are right. In addition the range in California is extremely limited.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I suspect they are more common in their California range than is known. However they are very rarely encountered as they rarely active above ground except when the conditions are right. In addition the range in California is extremely limited.
Thanks for sharing

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heloderma suspectum are indeed protected by law, which is probably why they're illegal in California. I forgot about the legal protection part lol.

Loving this guy though, he's full of attitude! Hope to get a female for him eventually.

walter 6.jpg

walter 5.jpg

Stugy

Arachnolord
Adorable and awesome at the same time! I wish I could have one haha.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Could you explain a bit? I have no knowledge in this area....are the populations at risk in the wild? Or perhaps I misunderstood...I imagine each state is different. Just curious
Gila Monsters -- sorry just had to call it that -- love that moniker.
Anyway, they're starting to become rarer and rarer. Their habitat is dwindling due to humans and everything else humans do.
Too bad you can't find a mate for it and make babies.