Heating problems?

TRection

Arachnoknight
Im starting to wonder if my house is too cold for my T or not. The winter months should be fine as we like to keep the house nice and warm in the winter, but in the summer it is the opposite, we have the AC on pretty much at all times. It's set at 75F but it feels much colder than that because it runs almost all the time blowing cold air all over the house, Im beginning to wonder if this is causing the tank to become too cold for my T. Within the next few days im going to pick up one of those little cheapo thermometers just to check the ambient temp inside the tank.

What temperature range should i be looking for, for an A.Geniculata, and how cold would be TOO COLD so i can look out for that as well? If i do find that the temperature is too cold, how can i go about safely heating the tank without heating the whole room with a space heater? (the tank is in my bedroom along with my other pets so i dont want it too hot in here)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Same problem. Just open a window in the spider room and block the vents. Problem solved.

Under 70 is too cold for me, my spiders dont like it either.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Same problem. Just open a window in the spider room and block the vents. Problem solved.

Under 70 is too cold for me, my spiders dont like it either.
The window does the trick sometimes, but blocking the vent is a bad idea in my room, my bedroom is in the basement (man cave) so there isn't much air flow to begin with as the windows are pretty small, and it tents to get a bit stuffy in here. I was reading up on secondary heating for T enclosures by attaching a heating pad to a secondary sheet of glass or wood and setting that next to the tank rather than directly attaching it to the side, but i would need more information from people that have actually done it.

TRection

Arachnoknight
My dad just gave me is laser thermometer to use on the tank, The sub is reading at 74F/23c, the tank walls are reading 73F and the top of the hide (where my T pretty much always is) is 76F, are these temps ok for my T or is that too cold?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My dad just gave me is laser thermometer to use on the tank, The sub is reading at 74F/23c, the tank walls are reading 73F and the top of the hide (where my T pretty much always is) is 76F, are these temps ok for my T or is that too cold?
It's a little cool but not a problem for A. geniculata. (The room where I keep my Ts is air conditioned for my comfort as well, and that often means the low 70s. I have a 2" genic, and she is doing fine.)

TRection

Arachnoknight
It's a little cool but not a problem for A. geniculata. (The room where I keep my Ts is air conditioned for my comfort as well, and that often means the low 70s. I have a 2" genic, and she is doing fine.)
Good to hear :D thanks

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The window does the trick sometimes, but blocking the vent is a bad idea in my room, my bedroom is in the basement (man cave) so there isn't much air flow to begin with as the windows are pretty small, and it tents to get a bit stuffy in here. I was reading up on secondary heating for T enclosures by attaching a heating pad to a secondary sheet of glass or wood and setting that next to the tank rather than directly attaching it to the side, but i would need more information from people that have actually done it.
Same situation. Ive raised multiple Avicularia in my room. Never started opening the windows till summer started this year. Works great. Honestly, you're asking for trouble if you're not closing the vents. AC gets cold.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I have the opposite problem, we have a tin roof so I went out and bought a window unit to keep my room under 90 degrees. It's normally hotter in my room than it is outside, I don't know how I've survived without an AC...which brings me to the question, I don't know how I'll keep my room warm this winter as it gets super cold. Of course a space heater would fix that but what if our power goes out? Has anyone used propane near that Ts? Our insulations sucks but our room is super small, I need to get a small heater, I guess.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Nature fluctuates all the time. Most Ts have a much wider temperature tolerance than we sometimes believe.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I wouldn't be too worried unless temps went under 65°Fahrenheit. Best way to keep the Ts warm is a space heater.

I heat the T room during the day and let temps drop to about 68 at night, all the Ts are thriving.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I agree but our room gets under 60 degrees regularly. I have a space heater, two actually but I worry if the power goes out. It's happened before I had Ts in the dead middle of winter.