Heating Pads??

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
So, I'm a first-time tarantula owner rn and I have an adolescent G. Pulchripes. I was advised when I got him(her??, haven't sexed yet so I'm guessing) to get a heating pad and put it on the side of the enclosure, which I have done. Now I'm seeing a lot of people saying not to use heating pads since it can cook them. But thus far he's been fine and even spends a lot of time hanging around the heating pad as opposed to the rest of the enclosure. So idk what to do. I don't want to hurt my new T but I also want to keep him happy and he seems to enjoy the pad(as much as he can without feelings that is).

Also, I live in the Midwest where it's currently just now reaching into the 50s, but the winters can get cold and my current home has no central heating/AC.​

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Space heaters are the safer option, though heat mats can be used a couple of ways @basin79

If your room where the tarantula is kept is in the 70s or at the very least upper 60s all should be fine.

Pet stores tend to be clueless on tarantula care, well most pet stores anyway.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
even spends a lot of time hanging around the heating pad
From what everyone says... that is how it kills them. They are drawn to it like a moth to flame.

If you need to use a heating pad, put it on the side of a larger enclosure that the T's enclosure fits into... like creating a little mini heated room.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
From what everyone says... that is how it kills them. They are drawn to it like a moth to flame.
If you need to use a heating pad, put it on the side of a larger enclosure that the T's enclosure fits into... like creating a little mini heated room.
I also would create a micro-environment if you must use a heat pad. Research it -- so much safer for a T, ime. Ts CAN be burned. :(

I understand, if you only have the one T -- not wanting to invest in heating a larger area.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
I have neither a space heater nor a larger container to put his current one in. Would it be safer to just get rid of the heat pad altogether then? My room never really drops below 60 this time of year but it tends to get really cold in the heights of winter(we got to about -20 this past winter with wind-chill) and right now outside temps are fluctuating(some days it's 30s and some in the 50s). So should I just save the pad for winter?

Also, the kind I have is just a little circle ZooMed heater that sticks to the side. I felt the heater itself and the glass right under it and it's never been more than pleasantly warm. Hence my uncertainty.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Stick the heat mat/pad to a foil backed insulation board or similar. Use sticky tape around the clear edges of the mat. The enclosure(s) can then put against it then (see pic).

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE HEAT MAT CONNECTED TO A THERMOSTAT. It's VITAL any and all heating equipment doesn't matter if it's a space heater or heat mat are connected to a thermostat or in the case of a space heater have a 1 built in.

I put the thermostat probe directly into the heat mat outside the enclosure so it can't be moved by the tarantula.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
Okay, I'll try and get something like that next time I'm out. Idk when that'll be and if I'll have enough(currently looking for a new job), but I'll get something like that as soon as I can. Thank you for the recommendation!

For now I have his pad turned off so as not to risk him any more

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I have neither a space heater nor a larger container to put his current one in. Would it be safer to just get rid of the heat pad altogether then? My room never really drops below 60 this time of year but it tends to get really cold in the heights of winter(we got to about -20 this past winter with wind-chill) and right now outside temps are fluctuating(some days it's 30s and some in the 50s). So should I just save the pad for winter?

Also, the kind I have is just a little circle ZooMed heater that sticks to the side. I felt the heater itself and the glass right under it and it's never been more than pleasantly warm. Hence my uncertainty.
Heat mats add a little heat, but they're not really designed to deal with extremes like -20F/-29C. Most of the time when people are talking about cold rooms here, they mean it feels a bit chilly, not that they'd die from the cold if they weren't wearing outdoor gear. So you're going to need something a bit more meaty to keep things warm. Anything you can do to improve the room insulation would also go a long way.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
@Polenth My house is insulated, sorry for the weird word usage. Outside temps get really cold, but because we don't have central AC we can't control the house temp as well as we could with it. So, while my room never drops below 50 it still gets pretty chilly in the winter. Definitely not T suggested temps.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
Also, @basin79 are there any specific recommendations for insulation mats? I've tried looking on amazon but all I'm getting is rolls f foil insulation or items that are way too large for a single tank.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Also, @basin79 are there any specific recommendations for insulation mats? I've tried looking on amazon but all I'm getting is rolls f foil insulation or items that are way too large for a single tank.
DIY shops or builders merchants. The boards are used as insulation between the external skin and internal wall skins.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
@basin79 Until I can get materials my sis is letting me use her Dyson heater to keep the room warm since it's p cool rn. What materials would you say work best for this kind of thing anyway? Although I may just end up getting my own space heater and using that anyway.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 Until I can get materials my sis is letting me use her Dyson heater to keep the room warm since it's p cool rn. What materials would you say work best for this kind of thing anyway? Although I may just end up getting my own space heater and using that anyway.
I use building insulation boards. They're designed for use in the cavity and are absolutely superb. They reflect the heat back in so save you money.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stick the heat mat/pad to a foil backed insulation board or similar. Use sticky tape around the clear edges of the mat. The enclosure(s) can then put against it then (see pic).

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE HEAT MAT CONNECTED TO A THERMOSTAT. It's VITAL any and all heating equipment doesn't matter if it's a space heater or heat mat are connected to a thermostat or in the case of a space heater have a 1 built in.

I put the thermostat probe directly into the heat mat outside the enclosure so it can't be moved by the tarantula.

Ultratherms?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Just get the space heater.

RoaminRonan

Arachnopeon
Just get the space heater.
That's what I was thinking of doing. Bc she's in my room, so in the hot months where I won't need it, she won't either. And in the cold months where I'd use it she would too

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
So, I'm a first-time tarantula owner rn and I have an adolescent G. Pulchripes. I was advised when I got him(her??, haven't sexed yet so I'm guessing) to get a heating pad and put it on the side of the enclosure, which I have done. Now I'm seeing a lot of people saying not to use heating pads since it can cook them. But thus far he's been fine and even spends a lot of time hanging around the heating pad as opposed to the rest of the enclosure. So idk what to do. I don't want to hurt my new T but I also want to keep him happy and he seems to enjoy the pad(as much as he can without feelings that is).

Also, I live in the Midwest where it's currently just now reaching into the 50s, but the winters can get cold and my current home has no central heating/AC.​
I use a heat pad with a thermostat with no problem, my whole t collection is heated and i have the thermostat set to around mid 80s with probe a few cms from the pad. I havent had any issues the ts hang out near the heat and then move away when its warm enough. Just dont put the heat pad underneath them. It offers them no escape and in the wild animals dig instinctually to cool off. So basically half of all enclosures are heated and the other halfs arent. However i dont heat slings. I wait until 2-3 inch mark to put them on the heated shelf. My C. lividums didn't even web or burrow at room temp which was about 73. Put them on the heat mat and they are way more active and show alot more personality. Long story short in my opinion there is a definite risk if not monitored correctly but its worth it. My ts eat much better and are much more active than my room temps.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I use a heat pad with a thermostat with no problem, my whole t collection is heated and i have the thermostat set to around mid 80s with probe a few cms from the pad. I havent had any issues the ts hang out near the heat and then move away when its warm enough. Just dont put the heat pad underneath them. It offers them no escape and in the wild animals dig instinctually to cool off. So basically half of all enclosures are heated and the other halfs arent. However i dont heat slings. I wait until 2-3 inch mark to put them on the heated shelf. My C. lividums didn't even web or burrow at room temp which was about 73. Put them on the heat mat and they are way more active and show alot more personality. Long story short in my opinion there is a definite risk if not monitored correctly but its worth it. My ts eat much better and are much more active than my room temps.
But you don't live in a house with no central heating. Heat pads are meant for supplemental heating as you are doing, not as the main source of heat in a house with a room temp in the 50's.

A space heater really is a better option given those facts.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
But you don't live in a house with no central heating. Heat pads are meant for supplemental heating as you are doing, not as the main source of heat in a house with a room temp in the 50's.

A space heater really is a better option given those facts.
Not necessarily my mom doesnt use the heat as she likes it freezing cold and i dont use a space heater bc i dont want my whole room in the 80s. The entire shelving unit is heated , the end towards the heat pad is of course much warmer but the cool side is still 75+ which again is too warm for me. So for my situation and personal preference space heaters are unnecessary. Its all a matter of personal preference in my opinion