Heating Pad and a Few Questions

Sym

Arachnopeon
First off, I have a Rose Hair tarantula.

The seasons are starting to shift now, so the college dorms I live in are starting to get much colder. Previously, when it was 80 degrees every day, I wasn't really worried about it, but I woke up the other day and it was 65 in the room... which is below the temperatures recommended by any care instructions I've seen. I went out and got a little 4w heating pad to stick on the side of the tank, and so far it's worked out pretty well.

Here's a picture of my setup (sorry, I don't have a high quality digital camera with me).

I've seen the guide thrown around but I still have a few questions about the heating pad and the tarantula in general.

1. The tarantula is usually hanging out by the heat pad. When I go to sleep at night, it's at the exact same place in the morning. It always ends up in the same spot, hanging on the side of the tank on the heating pad. Is this normal?

2. I was thinking about getting a more powerful heating pad and keeping it under the tank, rather than have the smaller heating pad heat the tank just from that one little side. I'm thinking this because the way I have my tank set up with the log forces the tarantula into an awkward position to get the heat that it seems to like, and it takes it a few attempts to find a position that it is "comfortable" in (it constantly moves itself around, and then suddenly will find a position and sit there for hours). Is this a good idea? Or would a better solution be to simply make it easier for the tarantula to be near the heating pad without having to manipulate itself weirdly?

3. It sometimes uses it's back leg to "scratch" it's abdomen. I quote it because I don't think tarantulas have the sensory awareness necessary to even realize what an "itch" is, or feel one, so I have no idea what it would be doing with its leg.

4. The air is really starting to get dry here. I've heard so many different things about these tarantulas and humidity; what should I do? I have a hydrometer in there and I try to keep it above 50%, but I don't know if I'm trying to hard.

5. I currently have a wire mesh lid. I'm thinking that I should switch to a glass lid to keep heat and moisture inside. Is this necessary, or am I just wasting money?

Sorry for the wall of text. I just don't want to be doing something wrong and hurting my tarantula.

Here's a better picture. This is the day I got it (3 months ago), but the tank setup has changed since then.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
you don't need a heating pad. roseas come from hot dry places. room temp is fine. no extra humidity is needed. wood chips are bad.

these things are pet rocks and require really nothing. don't try so hard with this species ;)

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, there are a few things you really should know....

1. You need to change that substrate to either peat or coco fiber.

2. You do not need a biger heating pad, if the temp is above 65F your T should be fine.

3. As far as humidity goes, rosies are from the desert, so a water bowl will provide enough humidity.

4. As for your T scratching, it's either grooming or kicking hairs.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you don't need a heating pad. roseas come from hot dry places. room temp is fine. no extra humidity is needed. wood chips are bad.

these things are pet rocks and require really nothing. don't try so hard with this species ;)
Ditto.

Ok, there are a few things you really should know....

1. You need to change that substrate to either peat or coco fiber.

2. You do not need a biger heating pad, if the temp is above 65F your T should be fine.

3. As far as humidity goes, rosies are from the desert, so a water bowl will provide enough humidity.

4. As for your T scratching, it's either grooming or kicking hairs.
Ditto.

Also, for your reading pleasure:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

Sym

Arachnopeon
So what I'm hearing is pretty much leave it as it is, and change the substrate to that expanding stuff they sell in blocks?

Am I going to get ripped off if I buy it from a pet store? And if so, is there anywhere "big" I could get it (i.e. not a mom and pop store). Also, while I'm at the pet store, should I buy a glass lid or is the wire mesh one I have now suitable?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
So what I'm hearing is pretty much leave it as it is, and change the substrate to that expanding stuff they sell in blocks?

Am I going to get ripped off if I buy it from a pet store? And if so, is there anywhere "big" I could get it (i.e. not a mom and pop store). Also, while I'm at the pet store, should I buy a glass lid or is the wire mesh one I have now suitable?
you don't need to get anything fancy, just whatever you use, make sure it's dry. i like peat from lowes. comes in the big-enough-for-forever size and is dirt cheap. haha get it, dirt cheap? nevermind...

wire mesh is fine.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you don't need to get anything fancy, just whatever you use, make sure it's dry. i like peat from lowes. comes in the big-enough-for-forever size and is dirt cheap. haha get it, dirt cheap? nevermind...

wire mesh is fine.
I don't think so. Is better to avoid this, cause it could resulted in a trapped tarantula's toe.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I don't think so. Is better to avoid this, cause it could resulted in a trapped tarantula's toe.
i think so. if your setup is correct, your rosie won't be hanging around on the walls and top anyway. very rarely have i ever found my rosie on the top, and she's never gotten stuck.

if you have a wire mesh cage top now, go for it. there's no justification in going out and purchasing a more expensive topper when this will do just fine.

ravenruby

Arachnopeon
Coco Fiber

If you decided to go with the coco fiber, you can get it easily at pet stores like Petco or Petsmart that have a reptile department. It's usually around $5 for a compressed brick, which will definitely be enough for your one enclosure, or a loose bag will run about $8.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think so. if your setup is correct, your rosie won't be hanging around on the walls and top anyway. very rarely have i ever found my rosie on the top, and she's never gotten stuck.

if you have a wire mesh cage top now, go for it. there's no justification in going out and purchasing a more expensive topper when this will do just fine.
I had a such an accident not with a G.rosea but with a B.smithi. Not only. She managed to cut with her fangs part of the mess, fortunately not wide enough to escape.

Since then, i use a perforated Plexiglas plate in front of the mess (i use a very dense mess to keep small flies or other small insects from entering the enclosure).

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am going to repeat what some others have said!

1. Change the substrate! I've used both the compressed bricks, and the coco fiber from a bag... I like the bag better, becaus it's finer pieces and works out better for the little guys... but if you've just got the one rosie, a brick would be fine. Get it wet and expand it, and then LET IT DRY! Completely! Your rosie probably won't touch it if it's moist anyways lol They like their substrate bone dry. Provide a shallow water dish as well. NO MISTING!

2. In theory, you shouldn't need a heating pad... but if it eases your mind to use one, I would say keep the theory you have now.

3. I kept my rosie in a tank with a wire mesh top for the longest time, and that was back when she used to climb the glass. She never went across the lid though! There's really no valid reason for you to change the lid, since higher humidity isn't needed. I guess if your rosie climbs a lot and you're worried about her getting her toes stuck... but you didn't mention that as being a motivating factor for wanting the other lid.

And finally.. WHAT is all over that log hide?!