Heating mat for tarantulas

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am wondering about the use of heating pads outside the terrarium for 1/2" slings that are in cups within the terrarium. Is this safe? The house is usually at about 64-70 degrees.

Thanks!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
simpler just to not even bother with one. you can do it but there is instruction and proper methods...just use a normal space heater, much simpler.

DO NOT USE LAMPS.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your normal room temps are totally fine. But if you want to make a heated microclimate, just use a thermostat like previously noted.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Funny. None of the heat mat instructions I’ve been through say a word about thermostats.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Funny. None of the heat mat instructions I’ve been through say a word about thermostats.
This is the reason why people experience melted critter keepers, and possibly burning or cooking your pet. the heat mats DO NOT regulate temps without a controller and heat mats can get over 100F. Everything that generates heat through thermal resistance needs to be regulated, its just safe practice.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tbh, regulating/monitoring/ensuring proper placement of any heat source that you're going to use with your animals should be "common sense".

I guess this is why we don't have such a phobia of the things in the UK/Europe.