Heating Dubia Roach colony

acrudy

Arachnopeon
How does everyone keep them at the appropriate temps? i have them in my room and i dont really want to have my entire room like 85 degrees so are there any heat mats or anything you can use?

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never used a heat pad. They breed fast enough as it is plus I've found food molts really fast with extra heat. You can use a heatpad on the side if you like.

acrudy

Arachnopeon
I was thinking the heat mat, like one of the ones that sticks on the glass of a normal t encloser but i wasnt sure if it would melt the rubbermade container? I brought this up bc i resently started my first colony and all i ever see them doing is sittin on the egg flats not moving and i thought this meant they were cold am I incorrect?

TheBugBarn

Arachnopeon
I keep all my roaches in a closet with a 100w light bulb. Regular light bulbs put off a lot of heat, and are cheap.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
...I was thinking the heat mat, like one of the ones that sticks on the glass of a normal t encloser but i wasnt sure if it would melt the rubbermade container?...
Being cautious with any heat source is a good idea -- in fact, I recall reading a warning not to use heat mats on plastic. However, I have myself never had a problem with heat mats on plastic. In my experience, they don't give off enough heat to do any damage.

(Of course, the caveat here is that heat output probably varies from brand to brand.)

I keep all my roaches in a closet with a 100w light bulb. Regular light bulbs put off a lot of heat, and are cheap.
Do they mind the light?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine at room temperature and the reproduce like crazy.
Mind you, if you keep them too warm, they'll feel stressed and won't breed; and, generally, at warmer temperatures your adults will be smaller, making smaller babies, etc.

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a low watt infrared bulb over my colony. It's about 84 degrees under it and they are producing faster than I can keep up with. Heat tape also works well.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last edited:

DaveEmory

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you do a little quick math, you will see that running a 100w bulb as your heat source is not so cheap. A foot of 3" FlexWatt heat tape is fine for a large roach tub. Costs about $6 including wire clips... and uses 10w. That's a big difference in wattage.

PC