Heat pack necessary for shipping?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Hey! I'm getting ready to ship my first ever T through the mail, a MM I just sold. The package is being overnighted from Denver, CO to Puyallup, WA. The package will be overnighted through FedEx. I'm shipping in a box insulated with about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of styrofoam. The box will be held for pickup. The overnight lows in Denver on the shipping day are in the low-mid 30s, but I think the package would be on the plane before it drops below freezing. Low temps in Puyallup are in the high 30s to mid 40s, it shouldn't get below freezing. Now with all that info, should I ship with a 40 hour heat pack? The buyer doesn't think it's necessary but is leaving it up to me. What do the people of Arachnoboards think?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I would ship with a heat pack definitely. WA temperatures are cold at the moment if you search up the temps there. Even with the Styrofoam, you never know what is going to happen. So I would totally ship with heat pack.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Yes, if for any reason the pkg gets delayed and sits an extra day the heatpack will keep the T safe.

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
It gets especially cold during the night, plus the weather is always a bit moody here in WA.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I would ship with heat pack. Do not use hot hands though temps get a little high compared to 48 or 72 hr. heat packs. In smaller boxes with proper insulation it may hold temps for that period of time, but it still is a gamble definitely with some of the styrofoam lined boxes you can purchase is particularly thin. I buy my own styrofoam and cut it myself since you can purchase it in sheets at any home improvement store for cheap.
Another option is phase gel packs which I have used on several occasions with shipping dartfrogs and they work great. Only downside to them is price. That being said you should not ever try and gamble the T's health by forgoing the heat pack or proper insulation over cost. I truly hate it when folks do this. If you cannot provide the proper shipping materials dont ship. Another thing I have noticed is price hiking the shipping and using heat packs and insulated boxes as an excuse for doing so. These items are cheap except the phase gel packs of course.

As long as the T is properly packed, proper insulation is used, and heat/cold pack is utilized when needed your shipment should go by smoothly. Cutting corners seems to be the downfall in many shipments with DOA's I have recieved. Another thing you should make sure is someone is there to receive the package of have it held at nearest facility.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gee, thanks! :rofl:
We are here to help ;)

I couldn't resist, you had all the answers to a "yes" in your question. The one thing to remember most of the temperature changes occur out in delivery. Look up Arachnoiden's post, he has a nice graph where he sent out a temperature recorder along with a shipment to answer some of the "mysteries" of shipping. It was quite informative in some ways.

lateapexpredator

So angry
Yes, if for any reason the pkg gets delayed and sits an extra day the heatpack will keep the T safe.
Which is what has happened both times I've ordered Ts. I've got two orders from two separate companies coming this week so we will see Fedex does it again...

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Hey! I'm getting ready to ship my first ever T through the mail, a MM I just sold. The package is being overnighted from Denver, CO to Puyallup, WA. The package will be overnighted through FedEx. I'm shipping in a box insulated with about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of styrofoam. The box will be held for pickup. The overnight lows in Denver on the shipping day are in the low-mid 30s, but I think the package would be on the plane before it drops below freezing. Low temps in Puyallup are in the high 30s to mid 40s, it shouldn't get below freezing. Now with all that info, should I ship with a 40 hour heat pack? The buyer doesn't think it's necessary but is leaving it up to me. What do the people of Arachnoboards think?
YES