Heat and Humidity Issues

OwO

Arachnopeon
I just got a P. imparator, my first arachnid, a few days ago and I have been having some issues with regulating tempurature and humidity in the tank. Even using a heatpad and a UV light, I can't seem to get the tempurature on the hot end of the tank over 80. I've also been having problems with the tank drying out. I tried to stop using the UV lamp to fix the humidity problem but that caused the tempurature to plummet even further. I also tried closing the mesh lid of the tank with tape but that didn't seem to do much. Below is my set up. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You could try placing a piece of styrofoam on top of the tank lid as insulation. I use a lid off a cooler as a lid for my tank. I open it a crack periodically to release some of the humidity and to keep the air fresh, generally when a lot of condensation forms on the walls.. Also, you could affix styrofoam to the back and end opposite the heat pad. It takes a bit of experimentation and monitoring, but you can gain a few degrees. I can feel a difference when I put my hand in the tank. I can't guarantee positive results, but it seems to work for me. At least, my Asian forest scorpion seems to be thriving so far. it has yet to moult in my keeping, so I am unsure how the set-up will affect that.
I have been raising a baby one given to me under the same circumstances, but it is in a deli container and receives heat radiated from a nearby dome lamp used to heat a leopard gecko's cage, so I haven't been using any insulation. It has gone through two moults over the year I've had it and is growing.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Scorps have a unique chemical compound that causes them to glow under UV light. UV or even a blacklight damages the exo skelaton leading to structural failure and death if the scorpion is exposed long term. I strongly urge you to stop using it immediately.

It is ok to use a blacklight flashlight to locate a scorpion or to briefly examine them. The light causes discomfort and I won't shine that on them for more then 5 seconds at a time.

If you need to use a lamp, do one that creates Infrared light instead or a ceramic heater that works with a lamp. Scorpions need no light. They're nocturnal.

I keep my scorp, H spinifer, at 80 degrees and one of her scorplings that I kept. They're just fine. In fact, that's probably the most ideal temperature for them as well as many other inverts. Humidity doesn't matter as much as people think. Just keep a big shallow water dish there at all times and check it everyday to make sure it's full at all times. Preferably, the dish should be big enough for the entire scorpion to get into but shallow enough so that they can easily leave.

I keep my humidity at about 50 to 60 percent but I'm not crazy fanatical about it. If the scorpion sits in or around the water dish instead of it's hide, you need more humidity. For more information, check out the caresheets elsewhere on this site.

Use a clear plastic ziplock bag or paper protector over 3/4ths of the screen to hold in humidity. Paper towels or cardboard simply doesn't work because it's gas permeable. Just cut it to size and lay it on top. Remember, no UV or bright light. Do use a voltage regulator. Unlimited power is way too much.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I just got a P. imparator, my first arachnid, a few days ago and I have been having some issues with regulating tempurature and humidity in the tank. Even using a heatpad and a UV light, I can't seem to get the tempurature on the hot end of the tank over 80. I've also been having problems with the tank drying out. I tried to stop using the UV lamp to fix the humidity problem but that caused the tempurature to plummet even further. I also tried closing the mesh lid of the tank with tape but that didn't seem to do much. Below is my set up. What am I doing wrong?
UV is lethal to them. You should stop using the UV light immediately.

80 F is fine, no need to go higher than that.

You can wrap half to 3/4 of the lid with saran wrap to keep in humidity.

For heating, use an infra red bulb. If using a heat pad, ensure it is on the side and not the bottom.

OwO

Arachnopeon
I removed the UV bulb and replaced with an infrared one. The heating pad is on the side, not the bottom. Going to see how this works. I've read that one side of the tank should be in the 90's and the other side in the 70's. But my little guy seems to be doing fine. He hasn't accepted any crickets I've given him so i'm a little worried about that. But I know they don't eat every day and they sometimes fast so i'm not too worried about it.

Thank ya'll!