1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading to Arizona this weekend - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by chanda, Jun 4, 2018.

1. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I'll be heading to Arizona this weekend, visiting my brother in Phoenix on Friday night, then down to Tucson on Saturday, returning to California on Sunday. I'm planning on doing some hiking and collecting, and would especially love to find Scolopendra heros - though I'll have my eyes peeled for all sorts of cool inverts. This is primarily a collecting trip for my summer school classes, so I can have some cool new bugs to show the kids (and add to my "bug zoo"). If anyone has any tips for good spots to look, please PM me. I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    That’s funny I’ll be heading there this weekend also. Last time I was in phoenix I found lots of polymorpha but no heros. It had just rained too! Look near water if possible.

3. chanda

Yeah, I was really hoping for rain in the forecast toward the end of the week - but no such luck! From what I've heard, heros are not terribly common around Phoenix. I'll be looking for solifugids, Hadrurus arizonensis, and polymorpha around Phoenix, then hoping for heros down around Tucson. I'm also hoping for Paraphrynus carolynae in either area (I've found them both in Phoenix and in Tucson before). If I strike out on the heros this trip, I'll try again this fall when I head up to Payson to collect Dynastes grantii.

4. NYAN

CA
    I won’t be going to Tucson this time. Too bad or maybe I’d join you.

5. chanda

Maybe next time! I try to get to Arizona several times a year.

6. NYAN

CA
  7. chanda

Pretty good, actually. I managed to acquire a couple of Paraphrynus carolynae, a wolf spider (Hogna sp.), a couple of Loxoscoles sp. (probably L. arizonica), and a kissing bug (Triatoma rubida). Also saw and photographed (but chose not to collect) several coreids (Thasus neocalifornicus, Chelinidea vittiger, Narnia femorata), some beetles (Brachinus sp., Galerita sp., a Buprestid, a Dynastinae - possibly Hemiphileurus illatus, Chlaenius sp.), assorted spiders, cicadas, scorpions, solifugids, ant lions, and moths. I didn't see any centipedes at all - but then, it was so hot and dry that I didn't really expect to. I'll be out there again in July, so maybe I'll have better luck then.

How about you? Were you able to find anything?

8. NYAN

CA
    I was farther north. I found many lizards, a gopher snake, some wasp species including several tarantula hawks, beetles, ants, grasshoppers many latrodectus webs, no scorpions, tarantulas or centipedes though...

That’s very cool that you found so much! How long did you spend looking around? Also in what type of environment were the loxosceles found?

9. chanda

I went out hiking in Phoenix Friday night from around 10:30 p.m. until around 2:00 a.m., then I hiked a bit in Tucson on Saturday afternoon - maybe an hour or two - and went back out Saturday night from around 9:00 until close to 3:00 a.m., then one final hike on Sunday morning up on Mount Lemmon for maybe an hour or two.

I found two of the Loxosceles along a cut bank, with mesquite, cactus, and assorted shrubs. I also saw a third one near a dried-out creek, in dried grass, walking around underneath the web of some sort of Agelenid.

• Like Like x 1