1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading down the right path

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by AngelDeVille, May 8, 2018.

1. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    Advertisement
    Not rude at all, just the truth.

At this point my T. strimi is one of my most boring spiders, but she is the only one I have seen kick hairs.

My largest spiders are my G. pulchripes, A. avicularia, and T. stirmi at maybe just over/under 4”.

I do already have a couple OW’s, O. philippinus, is a bit over 3”, and P. muticus is just over 1”.

2. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    G. pulchra molted again today!

3. AngelDeVille

ABQ
  4. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    C. cyaneopubescens molted!

5. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    We found an Araneus sp. outside last night.

Up to this point my older son didn't seem to be too interested in the true spiders scorpions and tarantulas, but after we were looking at this spider he was searching for it on the interwebz, and then he asked me for the list of the tarantulas we had.

I asked him if he wanted the scorpion list too, and he said yes.

He was looking up most everything we had and was asking questions about them.

6. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    Rehoused Y. sooretama from a 3oz medicine vial to a Jaimie’s sling sized enclosure, in an arboreal type configuration (Seymour Duncan pickup case) no issues in transfer

Rehoused Thing1 P. irminia from a 2oz deli cup to the 3oz vial. No transfer issues.

Thing2 P. irminia is much larger and she went to a Jaimie’s terrestrial enclosure. She’s hiding behind the cork, after trying to escape the bathtub.

11FB7A69-9819-4B82-BC7E-3DA50E5BA5E2.jpeg

7. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    N. tripeppi molted!

A trip to Walmart revealed these acrylic containers.... different sizes and nice looking.

A wood burner would make easy air holes...

One like this for a 4-5” arboreal $9

7551AB03-032D-494D-99EB-4E9D69B85B61.jpeg

8. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

It does, just be careful not to go too hot. I've used those containers before, and very high temperatures leave an ugly cloudy area around each airhole. If it's hot enough, the plastic will actually crack. Myself, I just lightly heat a BBQ skewer on the stove and melt holes with that.

9. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

Allow me to inject Pamphobetous into this conversation. If you already have a T stirmi and a Lasiodora species, these won't be much of a challenge. They are somewhat moisture dependent so use a large water dish and put frog moss around it to retain mistres moisture. For mine, I keep one half of the cage moist and the other only slightly moist. Use a large hide. Because the feeding response is so good, you can just go ahead and stick them into the adult enclosure once they get over 2 or 3 inches in size. They are strongly sexually dimorphic and some can be expensive.

P sp machala is a good first one. The youngsters have a Christmas tree pattern which changes to the adult coloration suddenly. You'll be like where's my tarantulas? Who switched it out for this bigger one.

They grow fast, are frequently visible but not quite as much as Lasiodora and are a pure joy to keep.

P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg Persephone that's why.jpg P machala Persephone molted 5.jpg P machala Persephone after labor day 1.jpg

Keep in mind that this is one of the cheaper more common species. Others look even better!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    One of my L. jordanensi molted!

11. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    The other L. jordanensi and my P. muticus molted...

But I swear my P. muticus is shrinking instead of growing....

I have gone to a few local shops lately and nothing exciting has popped up.

I was thinking an A. seemanni would be nice, but I may save up and expand the Orphnaecus collection.

12. Whitelightning777

There's always Xenethis sp blue.....

The question is, dare I purchase a sling?

Hmmmmm.......

• Like Like x 1
  13. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    So far my P. muticus had been a disappointment, I was hoping for something more exciting...

14. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    They're incredibly slow growing pet holes, what were you expecting? o_O

The O. philippinus would definitely be the more "exciting" of the 2. Also, whatever you're keeping in the deli cup labeled B. albopilosum (so I'll assume that's what it is) looks like it could use a rehouse, if you haven't already.

You've really expanded your collection in the 6 months you've been in the hobby. And here I thought I had T fever. :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  15. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I wanted a little more excitement from something called a King Baboon!

alien.jpg

Rehouses are slow but steady, I have a huge collection of "houses" and just picked up a bag of random cork bark last weekend.

16. Whitelightning777

A M balfouri communal setup, even one with just 3 slings, should be very exciting. With plenty of webbing anchor points, you'll have a work of art before long.

(Assuming you don't already have one)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Whitelightning777

Here's a few pics of mine. Sadly enough, she passed away from fecal impaction & I suspect but can't prove that mold player a role.

M balfouri Maxine 2nd day.jpg M balfouri 1-21-18 4.jpg

18. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I don't have any M. balfouri, I think it would be a nice addition, but they are pretty expensive. I think I would want about 5-6 of them to make a nice display. Cheapest I found was about $75 each plus shipping for slings. I would probably want at least juveniles.

For much less money I could complete my Orphnaecus collection.

I am near my limit on spiders and scorpions so I have to be choosy.

19. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    Thing 1, P. irminia finally molted today!

20. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    Thing 2 molted again! And grew even more!