Heading down the right path

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Geez, you're really building up a collection! :wideyed: Just make sure to take their adult size into consideration, as many of your species grow fast (as you already know) and will need bigger enclosures before you know it! Make sure you have enough room for all of them

As for your genic/chromatus, are you able to post a picture of it? If it's starting to develop it's adult colors, a proper identification should be pretty easy. My two N. chromatus got the light carapace as soon as they started getting the leg stripes. A genic's carapace should be dark.

buzz182

Arachnosquire
One of my P. imperator molted last night too!
It's been great seeing your collection grow at a similar space to mine especially as you have several T's I have also picked up in the last 3 months. How is your N. chromatus doing? Mine was not one of my favourites when I got "him" as he had the brown coloring that made him look too much like a spider than I liked but he has become a lovely shade black with his last moult.
Also interested in how you are getting along with your Psalmopoeus irminia's? I was a little nervous but stunned with the beauty when I first got mine and the speed of her was something new for me.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Geez, you're really building up a collection! :wideyed: Just make sure to take their adult size into consideration, as many of your species grow fast (as you already know) and will need bigger enclosures before you know it! Make sure you have enough room for all of them

As for your genic/chromatus, are you able to post a picture of it? If it's starting to develop it's adult colors, a proper identification should be pretty easy. My two N. chromatus got the light carapace as soon as they started getting the leg stripes. A genic's carapace should be dark.
I did build the collection with full size of the spider in mind, and that has kept it at 15 tarantulas.

I went to take pics as a response to your post and discovered my N. chromatus has molted since I last checked them this morning.

Here is my labeled freshly molted N. chromatus...

Here is my labeled A. geniculata....

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
It's been great seeing your collection grow at a similar space to mine especially as you have several T's I have also picked up in the last 3 months. How is your N. chromatus doing? Mine was not one of my favourites when I got "him" as he had the brown coloring that made him look too much like a spider than I liked but he has become a lovely shade black with his last moult.
Also interested in how you are getting along with your Psalmopoeus irminia's? I was a little nervous but stunned with the beauty when I first got mine and the speed of her was something new for me.
My L. parahybana is about the only boring brown spider left, as you can see above the coloring of the A. gen and N. chro has gotten very exciting.

My P. irminia’s were/are still pretty tiny and I have just had my first molt from both of them.

They have been completely beautiful from the start, they are still in 2oz deli cups and my only interaction is the biweekly feeding and watering.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I did build the collection with full size of the spider in mind, and that has kept it at 15 tarantulas.

I went to take pics as a response to your post and discovered my N. chromatus has molted since I last checked them this morning.

Awesome! I just wanted to make sure you were keeping that in mind, as some people start off getting a lot of slings because they're tiny and don't take up much space, then end up overwhelmed as the tarantulas approach their adult size.

For the pics, the top one is definitely an N. chromatus, and the second one definitely looks like an A. geniculata to me :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Yeah, those spiders are correctly labelled.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Awesome! I just wanted to make sure you were keeping that in mind, as some people start off getting a lot of slings because they're tiny and don't take up much space, then end up overwhelmed as the tarantulas approach their adult size.

For the pics, the top one is definitely an N. chromatus, and the second one definitely looks like an A. geniculata to me :)
There are a few more species I would like to add, but their potential size is a deterrent. I think once I get some adults in their permanent enclosures we will see if I have space for. (Baboons)

I think when I got my first coloration and stripes on my brown spiders it was so exciting I started doubting my meticulous labeling.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
There are a few more species I would like to add, but their potential size is a deterrent. I think once I get some adults in their permanent enclosures we will see if I have space for. (Baboons)

I think when I got my first coloration and stripes on my brown spiders it was so exciting I started doubting my meticulous labeling.
Well I'm glad that you seem to have a plan and at least some self control. Since you already have quite a few large species, maybe you'll get bored with them and decide a few dwarf species are in order :p

Slings certainly get confusing looking when they start developing their adult colors. They become these weird brown spiders with hints of pattern, but in exclusive sepia tones and it's all very confusing :rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My last experience with exotic pets was 14 years ago when my beloved 14’ Burmese Python passed at about age 18. Prior to that I had a Chilean Rose and a few Emperor scorpions.

I feel I have enough past experience to start again with a couple slings.

I am including my two boys in the hobby ages 15 and 5, and my wife will remain at a loving distance. The 5 year old listens well, and is excited to see the spiders grow up. The 15 year old thinks it’s cool but I don’t expect a whole lot of hands on since they are spiders and not teenage girls...

I decided to focus on “bird-eater” types of Tarantulas because of growth, size potential, and display factors. Handling is not a remote priority, especially because of the youngests age.

I think the ultimate goal will be 3-5 of the larger T’s.

Any of your thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Only 3-5 larger species?? I got that many LP, should be easier then care of a large snake . How do you house a 14 -22 foot snake ?epic I’m surprised you didn’t get another.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
My petco rescue Avicularia avicularia has molted for the first time since I got her almost a month ago.

Molt was too damaged to determine sex, but she is large enough to have been able to.

She has made a web tube she rarely ventures from so I doubt I’ll be able to get good enough pics to determine.

But she’s healthy and happy and fuzzy.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
C. cyaneopubescens molted again.

T. stirmi is now my pickiest eater, and O. philippinus has improved her eating habits after her first molt in my care.

I rehoused G. pulchra and she jumped on and attacked the bristles on the paint brush so fiercely I just lifted her into the new enclosure and when she realized it wasn’t food she was safely in her new enclosure. L. parahybana got a rehouse too, but didn’t do anything cute...

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
T. stirmi has molted again!

I thought she was just being picky!

I’ll try to determine sex from the molt tomorrow, but I fear the molt is too damaged.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Been busy, but my G. pulchripes molted 10 days ago.

In the last 5 days...

Thing 2, one of my 2 P. irminia has molted, and grown substantially.

Y. sooretama has also molted!

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
L. parahybana has molted! Well over an inch now!

L. parahybana and Thing 2 P. irminia are due for a rehouse this week.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
O. philippinus molted again! She is by far my most beautiful spider!

Thing 1, my smaller P. irminia molted in the last day or so, I didn’t find the molt until enclosure maintainence today.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Just a heads up, since you still are a bit new to the hobby, be careful with the OW Ts. I realize you said you felt that your T. stirmi has prepared you for them, but three months is not that long of a time to have 'prepared' for an OW, especially since most of your Ts were on the smaller size at the time. Not being rude, just letting you know!