1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading down the right path

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by AngelDeVille, May 8, 2018.

1. Thekla

Thekla Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Congrats to your new additions! :)

The enclosure for your GBB looks a bit bare, I'd give her some anchor points for webbing (twigs/sticks, fake leaves, cork bark), and maybe a piece of cork bark, leaning to the side, for hiding, at least until she webs up her own hide. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. TheInv4sion

TheInv4sion Arachnobaron Active Member

Wow these are some sweet additions. I started with just a simple G. rosea lol. They might be inexpensive but I personally love L. parahybana. Great feeding response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    The GBB was originally intended for another enclosure, but it was way too huge, so I had to improvise this one. (My 5 year old donated a lego box)

She is very fast and willing to go vertical in an instant, so I have to be careful adding to her enclosure.

I have some silk leaves, and bamboo skewers and I need to find some more smaller pieces of cork, the last piece I do have would overwelm her enclosure.

I am planning a feeding frenzy on Sunday for all 8 of them, I have meal worms and dubia roaches all ready to go.

I just did a check on them.

Most are just relaxing and and settling in.

The cork pieces I do have in the enclosures are buried at an angle with just a small space at one end.

G. Pulchra has dug from the open end and back out the buried and and has most of her body poking out the back side.

B. Albopilosum has dug out extensively and has piled substrate as high as the cork on the front and back end, and has created an opening on the side of the cork. Very impressive for a nights work!

The opening is facing the water dish.

[​IMG]

T. Stirmi doesnt look quite as upset today...

[​IMG]

So far L. Parahybana, T. Stirmi and C. Cyaneopubecens will be my problem children.

4. Thekla

The thing with most Ts is, the less cover they have the more skittish they become. So, if you don't want to worry every time you open the enclosure you should put something for her to hide under/in. You could put a catch cup over her and then work in the enclosure. There's more than enough space to do so. ;)

My 1,5" GBB sling isn't skittish at all (at least not yet ;)), but she had loads of anchor points to begin with and started webbing right away back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    The GBB has settled down a lot, I put a few bamboo skewers in for anchor points and I am going to get some more cork later. I think she is still just taking it all in, but I dont see any webbing yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thekla

A few fake leaves or flowers wouldn't hurt as well (and it looks nicer ;)). And don't worry, as soon as she's settled in she'll start webbing. It's in their blood. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I got the cork in there, and I have a bag of silk leaves but I don’t remember where I put it.

8. In all likelyhood yes it will 99.9 of said time turn out to be t.stirmi.not always the case in united kingdom &europe.many german breeders etc

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Your enclosures are way too moist here, let them dry out some.
    The T.stirmi setup has too much height and needs more sub. Top vent will lead to things drying out faster as well. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/
    Not necessarily, if you buy from reputable vendors you'll get what you paid for. Never trust reptile shops or LPS.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    The sling enclosures have dried out more, that was my first time with coco fiber bricks, I’m much better at it now!

Thanks for that thread link, it is invaluable.

She seems to be the most challenging as far as care, and I don’t want any hard lessons.

She is the most spirited one I have, so I’ll get her transferred and add some sub.

I have only 8 T’s so I can easily manage adding water and keeping her dish clean.

I did add some more ventillation holes, and had even started a thread concerning her care. If I had found your thread sooner I probably woudn’t have needed to.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ventilation-for-theraposa-stirmi.307996/#post-2797666

I checked reviews here, The classifieds here and a couple highly rated online vendors are who I’ll be sticking with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    +1 on leaves. I think one of my favorite things about this species is how loungy they get in premolt. They just sorta drape themselves on their webbing/leaves and look so incredibly comfortable :hilarious: I also believe I've read that they live in the undersides of short shrubby bushes in the wild, and mine seem to appreciate the leafy clutter in their enclosures. They've got little ramps that go from leaf to leaf, and can easily conceal themselves behind the plants, but also have a fair amount of floor-space open to work with under the plants. I think the leaves encourage webbing a little more too, because it's easier for them to move around the entire enclosure.* Although, one of my four has always webbed significantly less than it's siblings.

Here's one (maybe my favorite) right after I set it up. I think there was a spider in there somewhere when I took this picture :hilarious:. I have a couple other GBB enclosures in my media page if you're curious, but I don't want to spam your thread with pictures ;)

...Man, I think my coffee kicked in :wacky:

*conjecture

• Like Like x 1
  12. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I had my first two molts today, and I am expecting 2 more!

A. gen and L. parah!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    So settling in to normal life, my N.chromatus and Latrodectrus sp have molted and are looking beautiful, and much larger.

G. pulchra, and B. albopilosum have been walled off in their hides for the past 3 weeks, but I can see them through the clear enclosure, and they seem very healthy. I expected G. Pulchra to molt, but so far nothing. B. albopilosum has made extensive underground excavations, and seems to have gotten fatter without eating?

G. pulchripes is extremely mellow and never refuses food, but is still mellow when attacking prey.

T. stirmi is always wired like it has had too much coffee, but does ignore food about 1/3 of the time.

C. cyaneopubescens has webbed a very small section of its enclosure and has ignored the last couple feeding attempts, but I'm not expecting a molt.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    After much contemplation I am adding my first OW species, and a burrower! Orphnaecus philippinus 2"

I am also adding my first arboreal! Avicularia sooretama 1"

I know I am a fool but I added Pelinobius muticus.........

And not so foolishly a Nhandu tripepii.... (I got a discount so I had to right?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    Ok I’m getting my housing ready for my new arrivals next week.

Most simple is the N. tripepii, I’ll just go with a 4oz deli cup. Or a jaimes sling enclosure.

All pictures are vendor pics...

[​IMG]

Next easiest is the O. philippinus, I actually have a tall glass 8”x8”x11” bugarium filled with about 6” of cocofiber. It may be on the large size but since it is a burrowing species I figure she will make her home as she sees fit, and I won’t need to rehouse for a few years.

[​IMG]

Next up is the Y. sooretama, I need to get a 16oz deli cup and I have a piece of suitable cork to place vertically and I’ll glue some silk leaves at the top of that, with an inch or so of substrate.

[​IMG]

The P. muticus is the one that could be the most challenging, but I think a 16oz deli cup with deep substrate will work until she is over 2”.

[​IMG]

Any other tips and tricks?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Don't worry, your challenge will be repayed for that the notary will give one day to your heirs... a splendid 0.1 specimen! an amazing Pelinobius muticus! an authentic Goddess* :)

*0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Except in the unlucky case of a 1.0, ih ih

-- aside jokes, that's good. Keep the substrate always slightly moist at such stage.

• Love Love x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  17. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

That escalated quickly.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cake Cake x 1
  18. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    The T. stirmi has prepared me for a bigger challenge.

My package isn't ready for pick up yet.

19. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    Everyone is happy and healthy, the new additions haven’t eaten much, maybe once each, since I got them, and Y. sooretama had molted on the overnight flight on June 13.

I forgot to update that my T. Stirmi molted on 7/7/18, and she was attacking the water as I was filling her dish today, I can’t see the fangs for sure but I’ll wait until at least Wednesday to feed her a super worm.

G. pulchripes molted today, and maybe she is big enough to re-confirm sex but I’ll check next time.

A. geniculata has also molted again! June 13 was the last one! She just flipped back over minutes ago so I can’t tell yet how much she grew.

Edit: 4 hours later, my G. pulchra has almost finished molting!

And I suspect my A. gen is a N. chro....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    What a good week! C. cyaneopubescens and L. parahybana molted today!

I’m making sure they are all well hydrated, and I will feed all of them this Friday then go back to bi-weekly feedings.

Y. sooretama, N. tripepii, and P. muticus have still only eaten once since they arrived two weeks ago so I stopped bothering them for a bit, until this Friday.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018