He just won't move.

Am I a stupid tarantula owner?

• Yes, move on to something else!!!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No, you will get more experienced as you progress.

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna try and upgrade soon! I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for a good enclosure! Any advice would be great! I wanna get him something nice other than so junk I have lying around here at my house.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
In this video, the greatest tarantula Youtuber ever @petkokc demonstrates how to set up an enclosure for an Avicularia species. The Caribena versicolor in this video is about 2 inches, and it was a member of the Avicularia genus at the time.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Cage looks fine. Just let it settle in. :)

@Ellenantula these guys live in the jungle, with a massive amount of space. I don't think they will get intimidated at all.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
So wait, do I need an upgrade to something more tall or what? I can do that and a lot of people are telling me to do that but I don't want to stress my tarantula too much if I decide to upgrade.
I'm confused.

What should I do upgrade, or let him settle in then upgrade?

Also I have him a cricket tonight and he ate it, so he has gotten adventurous.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Eating is definitely a good sign of settling in.
Ultimately -- yours isn't an ideal enclosure -- if you could find something more arboreal -- it's be great.
But current enclosure is workable.
Your choice if you tweak current set up or start over.
But eating is a positive sign!

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Eating is definitely a good sign of settling in.
Ultimately -- yours isn't an ideal enclosure -- if you could find something more arboreal -- it's be great.
But current enclosure is workable.
Your choice if you tweak current set up or start over.
But eating is a positive sign!
Alright, so should I upgrade soon, or let it settle then upgrade?
I do wanna get an arboreal enclosure for my Avicularia.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The choice is really yours. That cage will work fine, but eventually to open the cage would be to destroy a lot of it's webbing.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
The choice is really yours. That cage will work fine, but eventually to open the cage would be to destroy a lot of it's webbing.
So if was to upgrade soon and set everything up in his new enclosure and put him in would that stress him? I don't want to stress him too much. Will he die if I stress him too much?

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
I have worked with Hermit crabs before and if you stress them too much they can die. Does this apply to tarantulas? I want mine to live for a very long time and provide the best care I can so if I do upgrade will this hurt him in any way? Is there a reason not to do this or should I do this? I can look into getting a pretty nice enclosure. But once again I just don't wanna hurt him. I'm fine with getting a new enclosure but what is holding me back is the fact that I don't wanna cause alot of stress on the poor creature. So what are your thoughts on what I should do?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So if was to upgrade soon and set everything up in his new enclosure and put him in would that stress him? I don't want to stress him too much. Will he die if I stress him too much?
A little stress, but nothing permanent.

I don't think it'd die if you poked him with a straw for 2 hours. So basically no.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Some stress is a part of life. Why should Ts be exempt? Lazy little things while we cater to them, change their water dishes, drop in feeders, remove their boluses, clean poop off their walls, offer complete protection from predators.
Poke 'em with a straw, I say. o_O

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Some stress is a part of life. Why should Ts be exempt? Lazy little things while we cater to them, change their water dishes, drop in feeders, remove their boluses, clean poop off their walls, offer complete protection from predators.
Poke 'em with a straw, I say. o_O
Alright, so you think I can do this without any problems? I can provide a lot of places to hide In his new habitat to make it feel more secure. So I think I will do that. Anyway, well I think I might do the upgrade and make this thing more happy!

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Last question, so even though he just moved into a new home it will be ok for me to move him into a entirely new area with a lot more area to climb and a lot of hiding places?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
1503378182828-1780720728.jpg
Last question, so even though he just moved into a new home it will be ok for me to move him into a entirely new area with a lot more area to climb and a lot of hiding places?
Yes. Heres one of my set ups. They like alot of clutter. Especially near the top

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sometimes a short-term stress is best for long-term benefits. Sometimes Ts have to be rehoused -- just life.
My slings had to be rehoused from tiny condiment cups to juvie enclosures and finally into adult permanent homes. They got over it. :)

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Sometimes a short-term stress is best for long-term benefits. Sometimes Ts have to be rehoused -- just life.
My slings had to be rehoused from tiny condiment cups to juvie enclosures and finally into adult permanent homes. They got over it. :)
Ok, thank you so much for all your help! I needed some advice and everyone on here is just so awesome! Thank you for all your help I really do appreciate it!!!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am also new to the t world, I have had a Choco golden knee for a few weeks and he has a log and water dish but he just sits in one corner and won't go into his hide or borrow, is it ok??
Not moving much is normal for tarantulas, and it's not uncommon for some species to sit out once they get past the sling stage.