Having trouble feeding my T

chalcodesguy

Arachnopeon
I currently own a 2.5 inch Aphonopelma Chalcodes. She gets an insect a week and is pretty easy. However, a problem I have is that I had some bark on dirt for a burrow opportunity for her
She eventually abandoned the burrow and covered it with dirt, except for one small hole. A lot of the time, I throw her an insect, and it'll run away from her and go straight into that small hole. It's too small for her to fit into, but bug enough for any of her food. Is there a solution to this?

Last edited:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I currently own a 2.5 inch Aphonopelma Chalcodes. She gets an insect a week and is pretty easy. However, a problem I have is that I had some bark on dirt for a burrow opportunity for her
She eventually abandoned the burrow and covered it with dirt, except for one small hole. A lot of the time, I throw her an insect, and it'll run away from her and go straight into that small hole. It's too small for her to fit into, but bug enough for any of her food. Is there a solution to this?
Hello there! I would post a picture of the set up so that way we could better understand what is going on. A picture speaks a thousand words after all! Secondly, does she try to get the insect? Finally, how close are you dropping the cricket to her? I realize that I have more questions then you do but I just want to understand what could be done.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Offer prekilled prey? Close up the hole? Those are the first two solutions that come to mind...

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Premolt or hibernation/diapause. Since they’re native to the US they(as well as other aphonopelma and mastigoproctus giganteus) will bunker down for hibernation and will probably emerge in a couple months or so.

chalcodesguy

Arachnopeon
Hello there! I would post a picture of the set up so that way we could better understand what is going on. A picture speaks a thousand words after all! Secondly, does she try to get the insect? Finally, how close are you dropping the cricket to her? I realize that I have more questions then you do but I just want to understand what could be done.
I'd post a pic, but I'm not in a position to do so right now. Yes she does move in its direction a little bit but not fast enough before it runs (not an aggressive eater). I drop the cricket right in front of her, it generally runs away underneath her.

Offer prekilled prey? Close up the hole? Those are the first two solutions that come to mind...
I have tried offering pre killed prey, but she does not eat it unless it moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Feed less often....I would feed twice a month, they don't require much, especially in winter. Feed often and it will just fast longer in pre-molt.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
give pre kill, leave over night, if still there remove and suspend feeding. When a T is not hungry...well it won't be hungry, that simple.