Have you seen wild scorpions in South Carolina?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Still nothing. I would really like to get a couple specimens from different locations for my studies, but looks like I may have to drive.

gg061443

Arachnopeon
Scorpions in Upstate South Carolina (Greer/Greenville)

I have occasionally found small scorpions in my house. I live in Greer and when the Pest Control people come out one or two can be found dead around the house. I have no idea if they are poisonous or if their bite is powerful. If someone out there knows about these scorpions I wilsh they'd post it on this site.

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's been a while since I visited Arachnoboards. I was just wondering has anyone seen any scorpions in/near the Florence, Darlington, Chesterfield, Marlboro, Dillion County areas of South Carolina since...I have been so busy working and its been so hot here lately. I may wait until the Fall or Winter and turn over a few logs and other places and try to locate any. Maybe in a few months, I will be able to get my own place and then I can purchase as many as I want to and won't have to answer to anyone but myself.

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Howdy. It's been some time since I last visited the site...

Any luck?

Convivium

Arachnopeon
I found this one around my yard yesterday. I am in Clemson, SC. I was curious as to what species it was. I found this forum and answered my question so I thought I would share a few pictures. Thanks.

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vaejovis carolinianus. They should be pretty common around your area. Especially in the forests under downed and rotting trees.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely Vaejovis carolinianus. Pretty prevalent across the upstate and and getting further down in the piedmont. Probably more around the area as they seem to congregate as adults.

Edit - Also to note these guys are not dangerous. Very similar to a bee sting. Can be more of a nuisance than anything unless you are an enthusiast. :)

Dawsonray51515

Arachnopeon
Just the other day I caught a wild asain Forest scorpion crossing the path in the woods behind my house an I've caught I've caught the southern devil scorpions out of Holly hill

ManfredNC

Arachnopeon
Just the other day I caught a wild asain Forest scorpion crossing the path in the woods behind my house an I've caught I've caught the southern devil scorpions out of Holly hill
Hi, Dawsonray51515,

I live in NC, and I am considering to hunt scorpions in NC and SC, to breed them. Could you please tell me your location? Are there a lot or a few of scorpions?

Best wishes,

Manfred

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Probably, no wild Asian forest scorpion in both NC and SC. We do have wild species of Vaejovis carolinianus in the two states.

Any species of scorpion is fine with me.
For a fact their isn't. Unless somehow someone realised a Captive one into the wild and by some mircale it thrived and lived lol

ManfredNC

Arachnopeon
For a fact their isn't. Unless somehow someone realised a Captive one into the wild and by some mircale it thrived and lived lol
Hi, ArachnoDrew,

Thanks a lot!

Do you know a location in SC or NC where is good for scorpion hunting?

Manfred

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Upstate SC and western NC are the best places. The further west you go, the better chances you'll have. Areas around Clemson in SC and west of Asheville should be crawling with them.

Jcarter

Arachnopeon
IMG_0076.JPG Old post I know. But yes,we just found a scorpion on 7/6/17 approx 1.5"-2" long. while doing some palm tree work inside wild Dunes, located on the isle of palms In Charleston SC.

(Home was located right next to a pond which was connected to the golf course.)

Last edited: