Have you seen wild scorpions in South Carolina?

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anything found along the coastal plain of South Carolina will likely be an introduced species of Centruroides (vittatus or hentzi). Vaejovis carolinianus is native to the higher elevations in the northwestern part of the state - I saw about a dozen of these in Paris Mountain State Park a few years ago (I looked for about an hour).

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've encountered V. carolinensis in much of the Pee Dee area where I live, including in Lee and Florence counties. I've been stung twice by this species after unknowingly putting my hand on one that had taken refuge between the boards that made up the door of a dog run, and I've also had a similar encounter with a C. vittatus in Florence county that left me with neurological symptoms for three months, leading to the conclusion that I'm one of those lucky people who happen to be sensitive to scorp venoms. One year when I lived in lower Florence county, we had a very wet summer, following by a sort of population explosion of V. carolinensis scorpion. I'd find them literally strolling across the carpet in the house and it was just about impossible to walk outside at night without stepping on several. At that time, I just considered scorpions to be a pest and a potential menace, so there was no love lost. Now, in retrospect, I wouldn't mind a brief return to those days! It's been several years, though, since I found the last "free-range" scorpion around here, and I have to wonder if the prolonged drought we've experienced hasn't contributed to that.

pitbulllady

meghanaut

Arachnopeon
scorpion in my house

Ladson SC, in new construction home, last year this area was solid woods near Tall Pines. I have a picture of it. I fed it a bug. It ate it. What puzzles me is that I have always heard that there were scorpions here but NEVER in my life saw one. Then this one is crawling on my wall inside my house. How did it get there. I have lived here for several months. I watched this house built from the ground up and never saw anything inside it.

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I first found out about seven or eight years ago that there were scorpions in SC by reading an article in a SC Wildlife Magazine. I have never seen one in the wild yet but I haven't given up yet. I would hate to find them though and end up jinxing myself and then they end up appearing in the house. And to the previous couple of posters who found scorps in SC, are the scorps you have found under bark, in the ground, where? Not really any rocks around here, but I search the leaf little and under rotten logs, under the bark of these rotten logs, etc. The other day, I searched near a creek/swamp. I am trying different habitat areas... Still searching though...:confused:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I first found out about seven or eight years ago that there were scorpions in SC by reading an article in a SC Wildlife Magazine. I have never seen one in the wild yet but I haven't given up yet. I would hate to find them though and end up jinxing myself and then they end up appearing in the house. And to the previous couple of posters who found scorps in SC, are the scorps you have found under bark, in the ground, where? Not really any rocks around here, but I search the leaf little and under rotten logs, under the bark of these rotten logs, etc. The other day, I searched near a creek/swamp. I am trying different habitat areas... Still searching though...:confused:
Dry sandy areas around rotten bark and downed trees.
-Nate

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are not found every where in north or south carolina. I looked a lot in nc and sc. You will find them in only a few counties in nc and sc combined. Start in the tryon area of nc...Columbus, Hendersonville, Saluda. If you can find someone who will let you look around on their property you will find them. You need to look on old barn walls in under and around objects there. Under rotting logs and just about anything else they will hide under. Go at night and Black light them they are very small and very hard to spot. Just try not to over collect if you do start to find them as there may not be that many left.

Tim<><

Marshal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well shoot, sounds like you're on the right track now. So hey, if you do plan on goin out herpin you should collect some widows for me! :D

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are not found every where in north or south carolina. I looked a lot in nc and sc. You will find them in only a few counties in nc and sc combined. Start in the tryon area of nc...Columbus, Hendersonville, Saluda. If you can find someone who will let you look around on their property you will find them. You need to look on old barn walls in under and around objects there. Under rotting logs and just about anything else they will hide under. Go at night and Black light them they are very small and very hard to spot. Just try not to over collect if you do start to find them as there may not be that many left. Tim<><
Thanks for the helpful tips Tim.

Well shoot, sounds like you're on the right track now. So hey, if you do plan on goin out herpin you should collect some widows for me! :D
Urggh...I cringe (sp) when I come across all of those widows. I can stand the thought of black widows.:8o

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No Prob, post pics if you find any.

If I find any, I will definitely try to post pics. Also, I just remembered, there is a place a couple miles from my house that is a sandy/rocky/clay environment. Maybe if hasn't grown up too much, I can get someone to show me how to get back down there to it. Maybe I can find some there.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you find the right places, you'll do well. We found 5 in less than an hour one afternoon.

DustinGoliath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I lived in Seneca up by Clemson for a bit and we frequently had V. carolinianus in our apartment (basement apartment). They seemed to be very common in that area.

Indeed. I live in Anderson and grew up in Pendleton. There are quite a few in the upstate. Ive have the misfortune of being stung on the foot when one got in my shoe.:mad:

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've often wondered about NC scorps as they're one of those things that I theoretically knew existed but haven't ever seen.

Any of you NC/SC guys get together to go collecting (snakes, scorps, whatever) shoot me a PM, i'm in south Charlotte, also don't mind driving a bit :)

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm game, I live in the University area, go to school at Charlotte. I know some places, but they are a little drive away.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cool, I'm down around Carowinds, just graduated from UNCC 2 years ago. You talking little drive like an hour or two? I'd be up for that just about any weekend.

Also: Family does the beach thing @ sunset beach, I'll be down there around the 2nd week of July, any tips for herping down there? I've always wanted to cause of the swamps and so on but it's usually miserable hot when I end up in the area.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
haha, my parents live at Sunset Beach. I have search the actual island, as well as Ocean Isle, but to no avail. You may be able to find something in the remote marsh parts. There are a lot of them around.

I live off of Mallard Creek and Harris. I would def. be down. I have heard they are everywhere are Murphy country, but that's a drive. I'll do some research and get back to you on that.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
haha, my parents live at Sunset Beach. I have search the actual island, as well as Ocean Isle, but to no avail. You may be able to find something in the remote marsh parts. There are a lot of them around.

I live off of Mallard Creek and Harris. I would def. be down. I have heard they are everywhere are Murphy country, but that's a drive. I'll do some research and get back to you on that.

Yyyeahh Murphy county's a bit away unless you know someone with a pilot's license :cool: I grew up in Rutherford County (1 east of Polk) but don't know if the v. carolinianus range extends over there or not

enjoier14

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm game, I live in the University area, go to school at Charlotte. I know some places, but they are a little drive away.
Same here, I'm up for scorp hunting anytime! ...I just have to know in advance so I can ask off of work. I don't mind driving...I live 30 minutes north of Charlotte. Just send me a pm if you're interested!:D

redroban

Arachnopeon
"Ghost" scorpion

I was seeking answers on the 'net about a scorpion when I found this link and just had to chime in with my South Carolina scorpion tale.

First off, let me say I don't study arachnids. So, terminology will fly right over my head. However, there is one enduring scorpion mystery for me (hence my search), and its a type of scorpion I saw in northern Greenville County, South Carolina.

Back in the 80's, I often attended summer camp at Camp Old Indian, a Boy Scout camp north of Highway 11. While there, I'd heard from other scouts each year that they'd seen scorpions at the camp on rare occasions. Being still rather green, I assumed scorpions were only in the West, and didn't believe them until one early well-lit evening when I spotted one close to the heal of another scout. This was in the camp's "Mountain A's", an Adirondike cabin section of the camp at the very top of their hill. The panicked scout killed the scorpion but not before several of us had seen it. It was small, about an inch at the most, and very pale. I originally thought it was white, but now wonder if perhaps it was a very pale wax-yellow. It was my understanding that other scouts had seen similar ones over the years. The camp's nature lodge was run by older scouts who, unfortunately, did not have enough knowledge or resources at the time to identify them. Lacking a name, and noting the color, we took to calling them "Ghost Scorpions". I've lived in Greenville county for nearly all of my 41 years, seeing several types of arachnids here, but never scorpions except for Camp Old Indian. I've read in this thread and elsewhere of small black scorpions, but I've never found reference anywhere to the pale ones. Anyone know what the ghost scorpion could be?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Found a place a little closer yet? :D