Have you ever caught your own T?

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
I searched but no luck for this question. I'm just curious if anybody here has come accross or gone on the hunt for a T and was successful. It sounds like it might be a fun thing to do.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
no, but I know that the American Tarantula Society has a "Tarantula Hunt" day at their annual conference, so there's bound to be a few on here that have.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Yep. Caught several MM A. chalcodes and a few big females, too. Haven't kept any. I prefer CB specimens always.

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When i lived in Las Vegas a long time ago i would go out in the desert riding dirt bikes and sometimes saw T's i did take one once kept it for a while until i had to go overseas. Not sure what type it was as it was over 20 years ago.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've caught and released Aphonopelma sp. Like desertanimal, I prefer CB for my collection.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If I lived in the tropics my collection would definitly be larger.. unfortunately I cannot catch Ts in ohio
Id probably catch Giant centepdes / scorps instead cuz Ts take way longer to grow though.:alien:
Hunting Ts sounds fun!!! :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there are few things i find more entertaining than teasing an aphonopelma out of its burrow =)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Many years ago we had tarantulas (Local A. hentzi) on our land. Now they are gone -I feel possibly due to fire ants, as we do not use commercial pesticides on our acreage. I've picked up wild males off the road, but other than the Aphonopelma sp locally, there isn't much to be rounded up.

Marga

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Thats my dream to go on a T hunt!

BUT i am going to Mexico in 2 weeks, if i find some or at least 1

I will try and import it back Legally and will probably have to sign tons of papers. If it costs quit a bit ill try finding
several! so it will be worth it

BTW: has anyone ever done that?

---------- Post added 02-06-2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Yep. Caught several MM A. chalcodes and a few big females, too. Haven't kept any. I prefer CB specimens always.
Niice, where did you find them?

---------- Post added 02-06-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

those things are running rampant around your parts...
No wonder he has soo many LOL

Amoeba

Arachnolord
those things are running rampant around your parts...
You mean on the other coast and to the south? (Google says ~185 miles at 4 hours....) :biggrin: Same state though.

I hope to get down there one day and find one. Other than that I've gotten a few widows and millis.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Found a MM A. hentzi cruising down I40 right outside of Oklahoma City. He was looking for love :p

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Thats my dream to go on a T hunt!

BUT i am going to Mexico in 2 weeks, if i find some or at least 1

I will try and import it back Legally and will probably have to sign tons of papers. If it costs quit a bit ill try finding
several! so it will be worth it

BTW: has anyone ever done that?
as far as I know, I don't think Canada allows import of wild caught tarantulas from Mexico. I am almost sure that is the case with the US

Anyone have a better answer for that?

---------- Post added 02-06-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

You mean on the other coast and to the south? (Google says ~185 miles at 4 hours....) :biggrin: Same state though.

I hope to get down there one day and find one. Other than that I've gotten a few widows and millis.
"parts" defined as the state Florida, not a specific region. lol

---------- Post added 02-06-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

Found a MM A. hentzi cruising down I40 right outside of Oklahoma City. He was looking for love :p
"looking for love in all the wrong places"

Many of you won't get it, but it's lyrics to a song.

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as far as I know, I don't think Canada allows import of wild caught tarantulas from Mexico. I am almost sure that is the case with the US

Anyone have a better answer for that? ...
Check out Bringing Ts into Canada from US....

How would they KNOW where they came from except by you telling them?

"Yah. We were in Texas. Caught these along Highway 90 just a few miles east of El Paso."

<Hint> <Hint> <Nudge> <Nudge> <Wink> <Wink>

:biggrin: