Have a simple question real quick

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nerodia taxispilota (Brown Watersnake)

I know this is an aquatic snake that normally feeds on amphibians and fish, however would feeding one rodents be a substantial diet? They do range from water to miles inland, so its resonable to think that they do get warmblooded prey from time to time, and I know other species of aquatic snakes will do fine with rodents, so I'm hoping these guys do as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From what little I could grab off google, many will refuse to eat rodents at all.

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah. Getting them to take rodents can be a serious pain. If you can pull it off, it wouldn't have any downsides though.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright thanks guys. I did read you can switch them, and that they can be easier than some to, I just needed to know that if it manages to happen that it would be a healthy diet, (for example hognoses can not live healthy on just rodents). I managed to find a little one (around 9 inches) doing yard work and am gonna hang on to it for 2 weeks or so, if it won't switch I will release it, however if it does I may keep it, a 5' water snake would make a neat pet. They are all over the place here but young ones are hard to come by and I can't take a healthy adult from the wild, not with a clear conscience anyways.

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
More specifically, Western Hognose can do fine on just rodents. At least CB specimens. Not sure about WC though.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why do you want to change its diet? We've had water snakes and it was so easy to put a couple of goldfish (or guppies for small ones) in their water bowl. If it doesn't eat them you put them back in their own fish bowl. You don't have to worry about goldfish dying like pinkies do if the snake doesn't eat them right away. Water snakes have excellent appetites and you'll know pretty quickly if it is hungry or not. In nature watersnakes eat anything that moves including small mammals so there shouldn't be a problem including them in the snake's diet. A varied diet is best for them.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scott Felzer raises hundreds of Water & Garter Snakes on a rodent only diet and reports no health issues at with his snakes.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do you want to change its diet? We've had water snakes and it was so easy to put a couple of goldfish (or guppies for small ones) in their water bowl. If it doesn't eat them you put them back in their own fish bowl. You don't have to worry about goldfish dying like pinkies do if the snake doesn't eat them right away. Water snakes have excellent appetites and you'll know pretty quickly if it is hungry or not. In nature watersnakes eat anything that moves including small mammals so there shouldn't be a problem including them in the snake's diet. A varied diet is best for them.
Feeder goldfish are frequently loaded with parasites. I have also heard of them being raised soley on rodent prey with no ill effects. It is more fun to watch them fish though.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll probably do fish on occasion but I get my live rodents from a couple that raises hundreds for the burms and retics they breed, I like to stay away from petstore feeders (including fish) as much as possible. My only exception is crickets for my inverts and smaller geckos.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My indonesian garter snake died from a septicemia infection supposedly from his diet of fish according to my vet. Then again the vet is an idiot.

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cons: Musk, Flighty, Poop alot!

Pros: You can watch the goldfish wiggle as they go down!{D {D {D

I miss my albino checkerds!

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
2nd feeding=violent end for squeeking pinkie ;P

So the little guy will stay for a bit...err girl (checked and yep). Got a few pinpricks on my fingers but noticably chilled from first date. ;)