1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hatchling millies?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Lain, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Lain

Lain Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    Howdy friends! As I was cleaning I noticed a bunch of these little white things, about the speed of a springtail and a bit bigger....I am hoping they are hatchling Scarlets or bumblebees. Since I've never had hatchlings, I'm not exactly sure what they would look like. I cold only make out 6 legs, possibly 8 Any help would be awesome! (Sorry my camera is not good on micro things..)

20171207_182613-1.jpg 20171207_182319.jpg 20171207_181823.jpg

2. chanda

chanda Arachnodemon Active Member

Those look more like springtails to me. My ivories had baby pedelings and they look pretty much just like the adults, only smaller - and every bit as slow.

3. Lain

Lain Arachnopeon

USA
    Good to know about your ivories, thats helpful. Im pretty sure they are not springtails, they dont jump and no "tail". I was doubting pedeling as to how fast they move, but hopeful :)

4. AvLteralice

AvLteralice Arachnopeon Active Member

My first guess was springtails too.

5. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

I looked closer and I do see the body parts now. So I agree, not millies! Sorry, I don’t think they look like millies anymore.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnosquire

7. Marika

Marika Arachnoknight Active Member

Finland
    I agree, they look like springtails.

8. Lain

Lain Arachnopeon

USA
    Thanks for the link...that is them for sure!!! Thank you all for the help!! I'm sad not to have little ones, but I still got my fingers crossed that one day soon I will :)

9. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    These look a lot like Folsomia candida, a species of springtail I raise, though I can’t be certain on the ID. The good news is, happy scarlets and bumblebees are almost certain to produce offspring eventually. Mine do all the time. You will recognize the babies easily, as they are coiled a bit like the letter ‘C’ when they are very young.