1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Arachnoboards influenced anyone to buy species they normally wouldn't?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Grimmdreadly, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    You know, there used to be species that I'd see and say nope, not for me. I used to think this with Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and Grammastola. Now, however, after seeing species like B.Bohemi, G.Pulchra, and A.Anax, I'm like maybe my collection may have a little space for these. I swear Arachnoboards has been a bad influence on me. I'm contaminating my old world army with new world terrestrials. Has this, or anything like this happened to anyone else?

I swear to Cthulhu, I need to break free. If not I may start collecting Euathlus and Hapalopus....

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  2. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron

I think the average Arachnoboards member aspires to owning all the species, so this forum probably only changed the order in which we bought the Ts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

This web site has had a huge impact on my collection, and life. I've been piss broke since I signed up 14 years ago lol.

Later, Tom

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I myself was an old worlder, with the exception of Psalmopoeus, Ephebopus, Lasiodoras, and maybe the consideration of Pamphobeteus. The odd Acanthoscurria and Nandhu were also thoughts. But now I'm looking into B.Vagans and B.Bohemi....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Especially with the epic collection you've got, sir. My hats off.

Also, did that miracle B.Scutatus sac I've been praying for happen???

6. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron

Tennessee
    Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

I now want all of the arboreal tarantulas. Because of all of you. I just couldn't quit while the quitting was good. I got 3 Psalmopoeus, and now I want one of every arboreal T.

I mean, where does it end?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Arboreals are an addiction. I've caught myself looking at Avics and their cousins. I need more Tapnichinaeus first though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

This place hasn't made me buy a T I'd never wanted before but has been responsible for introducing the Idiothele mira to me. Which I immediately bought when I found one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron

Tennessee
    See? Why you gotta bring up the Tapis now? I haven't even collected all of the Psalmos yet. Just log out, Leila. Just log out while you can...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight

@Leila Don't forget Pachistopelma sp. Just trying to add to your collection

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. There's Iridiopelma Zoirodes as well...

• Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  12. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron Active Member

Technically yes. Had I not joined here I may not have heard of P. sazimai or A. geroldi enough to want them. Now I have both.
    Though I also have this site to blame for me becoming more and more interested in other species I can't have yet. Overall I'm glad for the exposure to more species.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sergic

Sergic Arachnosquire

I never gave Ceratogyrus much thought until seeing a few threads in which members raved about them. I just added a C. darlingi, and am finding it to be an awesome spider.

My list of T's that I'd like to get, and hadn't considered until being influenced by posts on AB is quite long, but I'm short on room currently.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. A.geroldi has crossed my mind once or twice

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CWilson1351

I knew I wanted some NW arboreal and they seemed to fit the bill of not overly common. After learning more I went ahead and got mine. Though the growth rate is glacial compared to my others, I adore my little one. Great species and mine has been very entertaining and interesting to observe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glacial growth rates just mean that you get more time with them

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. CWilson1351

You are very right there. I hadn't thought about it like that yet. I suppose being relatively new to the hobby and having some of the faster growing species has me a bit impatient.

• Like Like x 1
  19. aphono

aphono Arachnosquire

YES. C. versicolor is a perfect example in my case. Liked them but said NOPE after all those internet pages vids etc making them seem way too much work with such exacting conditions required and they still die.

Then I read all of your comments here for this species... started to go hmmm... nahhhhh.... hmmm.. the more I read, it became a definite "try 'em!" Went to a local pet store when they let me know these were in... turns out they were 1/4 inch-ish, far smaller than I expected and wanted but still went ahead, again because of all your comments- still felt risky but felt confident enough knowing the proper care basics. It's doing great.. molted twice or thrice by now.

Had a big Nope to all of the NW "P"..... either too "dangerous" or just not a fan of their looks. But P. cambridgei kept coming up... a picture and comment by @coldblood was the clincher. Don't have this species yet, but will grab the next one I see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. If you're in the states, I believe Mezoopets has some for sale right now