Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No one said or implied he doesn't care?

Again, no one said he doesn't care?

Not my cup of tea but - theoretically, why not? They are cheap and very nutritious.
Why is talking about beef burgers ok to you, when t-burgers are off-limits?
It's just hypocritical, honestly.

No one said you claimed that.

Take a deep breath, I think you're misunderstanding a thing or two here.
I'm not misunderstanding anything. I simply disagree with you on whether it should be discussed in this forum. I am not talking about beef burgers in the tarantula forum. You are. Feel free to go call all of those other pet owners hypocrites in the other forums as well.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have ZERO respect for those traditions. Those traditions have made whales almost go extinct. Those traditions of wanting rhino horns is why one rhino is almost completely extinct and another one was almost extinct. Those traditions are why the buffalo almost went extinct here in the USA. It doesn't take much work in Google to find animals that are now extinct due to hunting by greedy humans. And you might argue that they only eat the common one. Most people don't have a clue which is common versus rare.

Showing a plate of food doesn't prove something is available in large quantities.
On my book we shouldn't mix the hunting read the "let's take down lions, rhino and what else" just for fun, pleasure, just because "we can" as Western rich douches in third world nations sensible to our cash or else to those that "kill an animal for eat".

I have a huge respect for the Native Americans, people that, masters of their land, IMO suffered a true genocide that, flash news, almost no one give a crap today, probably because they don't own big medias and banks like others therefore what they suffered was/is reduced to crappy Western movies or a 'Squaw' dress for a selfie in Halloween time.

Well, they actually killed buffalo and bisons. For eat. For protect themselves against the cold of the Hills. Not for a sadistic pleasure. It's different, for my views. They lived in harmony with nature and animals.

The "White Man" did that, in the U.S. For 'sport' and trade and what else.

While I'd love to eat every damned mother-something animal I find tasty exist, at the same time, I try to respect their dignity and their environment dignity.

An earthquake, a Tsunami, man made action destroying forest for build a brand new crappy Hotel, flooding, chemicals etc harms more in Asia those T's than those native Asians fellas eating those T's 24/7 X 365.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
On my book we shouldn't mix the hunting read the "let's take down lions, rhino and what else" just for fun, pleasure, just because "we can" as Western rich douches in third world nations sensible to our cash or else to those that "kill an animal for eat".

I have a huge respect for the Native Americans, people that, masters of their land, IMO suffered a true genocide that, flash news, almost no one give a crap today, probably because they don't own big medias and banks like others therefore what they suffered was/is reduced to crappy Western movies or a 'Squaw' dress for a selfie in Halloween time.

Well, they actually killed buffalo and bisons. For eat. For protect themselves against the cold of the Hills. Not for a sadistic pleasure. It's different, for my views. They lived in harmony with nature and animals.

The "White Man" did that, in the U.S. For 'sport' and trade and what else.

While I'd love to eat every damned mother-something animal I find tasty exist, at the same time, I try to respect their dignity and their environment dignity.

An earthquake, a Tsunami, man made action destroying forest for build a brand new crappy Hotel, flooding, chemicals etc harms more in Asia those T's than those native Asians fellas eating those T's.
I agree with you about the buffalo, but it was still a tradition. Japan (rather than some western nation) destroyed many of the whales. And it is not western nations who are guilty for the demand in wanting rhino horns either. They are/were in high demand in Asia. The common link here is humans rather than geographic locations. Humans are over-populated, selfish, and greedy. We do not try to fix our problems until we realize we have screwed things up.

Mother Nature will probably one day fix the problem though since we still lack enough knowledge on virus and bacteria.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have ZERO respect for those traditions. Those traditions have made whales almost go extinct.
Hang on, are you one of those people who claims we should not eat and kill whales? We have done that for generations here in Norway and believe me, it tastes delicious :kiss:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I agree with you about the buffalo, but it was still a tradition. Japan (rather than some western nation) destroyed many of the whales. And it is not western nations who are guilty for the demand in wanting rhino horns either. They are/were in high demand in Asia. The common link here is humans rather than geographic locations. Humans are over-populated, selfish, and greedy. We do not try to fix our problems until we realize we have screwed things up.

Mother Nature will probably one day fix the problem though since we still lack enough knowledge on virus and bacteria.
Let me tell you something my man. I am completely, and I say completely, against those thugs (including mother - you know what - terrorists or crypto-terrorists) that kills for the trade. I am against those that kill certain animals for 'medicine remedies' or whatever like China loves: cash at the end. Nothing more.

But I have nothing against a true, fair enough, honest hunter that kill an animal for eat. That's the story of humanity, mankind. A 'story' that wasn't written by vegans or what else, just like those worldwide nuts of today against Family and Traditional Family that seek adoption for Gay, or other IMO huge immoralities such the best way for have, one day, males pregnant.

An honest hunter is "respected" by Mother Nature, because he/she respects Her. Animals "know" this, is written in their DNA... they hunt or are hunted as well.

It's when cash entered that everything turned garbage and happens that we are living in the garbage era, today. Were rules are not anymore respected.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hang on, are you one of those people who claims we should not eat and kill whales? We have done that for generations here in Norway and believe me, it tastes delicious :kiss:
I have never said we should not eat anything. I've simply said we shouldn't mix discussion of eating of tarantulas and having them as pets / preserving them in the same forum. It creates a contradiction in our forum threads.

The discussion in this thread about traditions was started by Chris and is a completely different discussion where I am simply saying it isn't just Western nations that are guilty of depleting the populations. I also essentially stated (or attempted to state) that zero responsibility occurs by humans in consuming / making use of wildlife until it is too late. There were huge numbers of buffalo in North America until suddenly there weren't...

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I'm not misunderstanding anything.
Yes, you clearly are. See what I wrote earlier. No one ever said you claimed someone broke the rules - but that's what you (miss)understood. It's there, for everyone to read, why claim otherwise!?

I simply disagree with you on whether it should be discussed in this forum. I am not talking about beef burgers in the tarantula forum. You are. Feel free to go call all of those other pet owners hypocrites in the other forums as well.
Not sure if you don't understand me for real, or if you just don't want to...?

If you don't see why it is hypocritical to be fine with the mass-abuse of pigs, cows and chicken, solely bred to die for us, while simultaneously arguing for the poor poor t's in those savage countries that obviously don't care about their dawning extinction (is that so?), then I can't help you and start to question your motives, at this point.

Also, people in some Asian countries eating t's has nothing to do with tradition - it's just a source of nutrition to them, like pork is for us.
Saying you don't respect that, speaks volumes.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yes, you clearly are. See what I wrote earlier. No one ever said you claimed someone broke the rules - but that's what you (miss)understood. It's there, for everyone to read, why claim otherwise!?

Not sure if you don't understand me for real, or if you just don't want to...?

If you don't see why it is hypocritical to be fine with the mass-abuse of pigs, cows and chicken, solely bred to die for us, while simultaneously arguing for the poor poor t's in those savage countries that obviously don't care about their dawning extinction (is that so?), then I can't help you and start to question your motives, at this point.

Also, people in some Asian countries eating t's has nothing to do with tradition - it's just a source of nutrition to them, like pork is for us.
Saying you don't respect that, speaks volumes.
It is you that misunderstands. I won't go talk about eating pork in a forum where people have pigs as pets. I won't go talk about eating birds in a forum where people talk about having birds as pets. It doesn't matter whether it is tarantulas or pigs or beef or fish. You keep turning this into me against people eating tarantulas. There are multiple pages of people talking about tasting tarantulas or feeders in this thread. I doubt any of them eat tarantulas as a tradition in their own country. Maybe you can also invite some people from south east Asia that eat dogs or cats into the forums where people have them as pets. Both groups are legitimate but mixing them together is a flaw in my opinion.

EDIT* All of my arguments have been to try to make the above points clear (like the handling contradiction).

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have never said we should not eat anything. I've simply said we shouldn't mix discussion of eating of tarantulas and having them as pets / preserving them in the same forum. It creates a contradiction in our forum threads.

The discussion in this thread about traditions was started by Chris and is a completely different discussion where I am simply saying it isn't just Western nations that are guilty of depleting the populations. I also essentially stated (or attempted to state) that zero responsibility occurs by humans in consuming / making use of wildlife until it is too late. There were huge numbers of buffalo in North America until suddenly there weren't...

Right, with foreigners (non-Norwegians) you never knows when it comes to whales! Some of them are quite radical in their views and sees us as bunch of barbarians that slaughters whales for the fun of it. That´s not the case, we do eat whale and it is indeed a part of our national cuisine, but I believe we hunt them at healthy levels these days. When I was young, we did eat whale meat quite often. Now it´s more rare, but whale meat is still part of our culture and I am certain that it is possible to find a balance between eating them and preserving them :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, I don't think that, my man. You know, on my book one thing would be register to a dog, or a cat, forum, and then start to Troll or Flame (IMO in a crappy, not original way, btw) about the pleasure of 'Wok' those.

Another is, here, to discuss at 360° about something that, facts no matter we like or not, involve animals that we love (indeed) to keep at our homes and that, no doubts, we are attached to. I respect all of you, attached to your spiders. For real, despite the legit statements about the fact that they, our beloved T's, have different feelings, or a different pain level... I respect that. On my book that makes you valid persons.

Just that, at the cost of receive a moderator PM, ah ah :angelic: sometimes I'd love to think that here, on this site, no matter who we are, we are adults, or, if not everyone adult, intelligents people able to discuss in a respectful way about everything. A bad habit of mine.

They (certain Asians) eat those T's. Everyone know this. To reduce, IMO, that food-practice because "they are poor" or whatever (mind, I'm not saying you said that) is false. Asia has acces to pigs, cow etc whatever as well. Just that they love to eat said T's and we, one moment, should accept that because we can't change that. And probably we shouldn't (having the power for doing that, I mean).

I hereby declare <-- I love saying this, reminds me of long wig politicians era of once) again that eating those T's in Asia doesn't affect badly native T's like chemicals, Mother Nature and man made disasters do on a daily, week, month, year basis :-s

The discussion in this thread about traditions was started by Chris and is a completely different discussion where I am simply saying it isn't just Western nations that are guilty of depleting the populations.
I completely agree. When it comes to create mess, poop, menace to environment etc to blame the West only is not only bad, but stupid. China has massive problems, on that sense. The Yellow River, in China, almost is literally 'yellow' due to pollution.

I was only, basically, as a 100% pure Traditionalist dastard, saying that when "we" (no matter the passport) hunt for eat is a nothing like when "we" (again) destroy/annihilate for cash, and everything that lives around cash :)

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
It is you that misunderstands.
Really?
Here:
. When did I claim someone broke any rules? Please provide the quote from me.
That's the part you misunderstood. No one said you claimed the above.

So yes, you did misunderstand, which can be counter-productive in a discussion, hence I tried to clear that up and struggle to see what's so difficult about it?!

I won't go talk about eating pork in a forum where people have pigs as pets. I won't go talk about eating birds in a forum where people talk about having birds as pets. It doesn't matter whether it is tarantulas or pigs or beef or fish.
Which is fine, no one tried to tell you what to do - you are the one that tried to enforce his views onto others by suggesting to lock this thread and agreeing that this should not be allowed, which is ridiculous, frankly.

You keep turning this into me against people eating tarantulas.
I'm not turning anything, you did that yourself man.

There are multiple pages of people talking about tasting tarantulas or feeders in this thread. I doubt any of them eat tarantulas as a tradition in their own country. Maybe you can also invite some people from south east Asia that eat dogs or cats into the forums where people have them as pets. Both groups are legitimate but mixing them together is a flaw in my opinion.
Yes. Noted. So?
Obviously some people do want to talk about that, so what?
Don't participate if it's not for you - just don't try to dictate some moral-codex onto others, that's all.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Right, with foreigners (non-Norwegians) you never knows when it comes to whales! Some of them are quite radical in their views and sees us as bunch of barbarians that slaughters whales for the fun of it. That´s not the case, we do eat whale and it is indeed a part of our national cuisine, but I believe we hunt them at healthy levels these days. When I was young, we did eat whale meat quite often. Now it´s more rare, but whale meat is still part of our culture and I am certain that it is possible of both eating them and preserving them at the same time :)
When I visited Japan for my company I had not started the tarantula hobby. Pretty much everything offered in restaurants and discussed by my workmates (who do speak Japanese and are from Japan) was seafood type items with a few exceptions. Beef is expensive and not common in Japan. What they do have is very high quality. I pretty much tried everything. I also do like sashimi. I love most seafood. Octopus was a bit too chewy for me. I would never attack anyone for eating what is commonly eaten in their homeland. And what is okay for one group of people is probably weird for someone else. That type of discussion was never my intention. My argument was pointed at mixing of the two subjects (hobby and food) before we shifted.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Which is fine, no one tried to tell you what to do - you are the one that tried to enforce his views onto others by suggesting to lock this thread and agreeing that this should not be allowed, which is ridiculous, frankly.
Please explain how I "enforced". I don't see "Moderator" or "Staff" under my user name. Where do I use the word "lock" in any post of mine. I am just a member of this forum like you. We both have opinions.

I simply provided my opinion (which still is my opinion) that we shouldn't allow discussion of tarantulas as food in a forum for them as pets. If you can't accept my opinion then I am sorry. I won't change my opinion just to make you happy.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Please explain how I "enforced". I don't see "Moderator" or "Staff" under my user name. Where do I use the word "lock" in any post of mine.
True, it's even worse:
There is only one reason to eat tarantulas or feeders unless you are a starving person in some remote place.... So you can say you have done it. Sorry but there is no prize. This whole thread is repulsive and should be deleted.
There.
Also I said TRY to enforce, not actually enforce. What I meant - and you know that - is that you tried to set the standards for everyone. You didn't share your opinion only, you wanted this thread to be deleted due to your personal views - that crosses a line!

I simply provided my opinion (which still is my opinion) that we shouldn't allow discussion of tarantulas as food in a forum for them as pets. If you can't accept my opinion then I am sorry. I won't change my opinion just to make you happy.
I don't care if it's just your opinion, never did. But I do care as soon as someone tries to force his views and standards onto others, me included.
It's clear what you said and I think it's sad that you now try to backpaddle instead of admitting that this is not ok is kinda sad for everyone involved.

That being said, I'm really done with this. It's getting tiring having to show you your own quotes to proof what you said earlier and trying to point out what the problem with what you said is while you still ignore the problem.

You understand perfectly, I believe, you just don't want to "lose", and that's where I get tired. I'm open for a debate, always, but not on middle-school level where I have to remind someone of his own words and explain why a totalitarian request to delete things is bad.

Good night.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
True, it's even worse:

There.
Also I said TRY to enforce, not actually enforce. What I meant - and you know that - is that you tried to set the standards for everyone. You didn't share your opinion only, you wanted this thread to be deleted due to your personal views - that crosses a line!

I don't care if it's just your opinion, never did. But I do care as soon as someone tries to force his views and standards onto others, me included.
It's clear what you said and I think it's sad that you now try to backpaddle instead of admitting that this is not ok is kinda sad for everyone involved.

That being said, I'm really done with this. It's getting tiring having to show you your own quotes to proof what you said earlier and trying to point out what the problem with what you said is while you still ignore the problem.

You understand perfectly, I believe, you just don't want to "lose", and that's where I get tired. I'm open for a debate, always, but not on middle-school level where I have to remind someone of his own words and explain why a totalitarian request to delete things is bad.

Good night.
I don't remember that. So I did word it that way. Am I a bad bad person because I believe what I believe? This hypocrisy thing you are trying to stick on me fails. I am still saying the same thing that I said at the beginning. Mixing the two subjects was and is wrong.

EDIT* I hit reply too quick. Where am I backpedaling? I still have the same opinion. If this was my forum. The food part would go. Feel free to continue your witch hunting.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Eating tarantulas is one reason that they're endangered in the wild. Besides it makes no economic sense to eat an animal that takes 3 to 5 times longer then a chicken to mature and is a small fraction of it's size. (Can't eat eggs either)

It would be a delicacy at best, like the monkey brain scene from faces of death, nothing practical.

The feeders like roaches or mealworms at least grow rapidly enough to be economical.

Besides, tarantulas have a number of conditions with causes unknown, impaction, dks, internal parasites etc. If you eat it, you may bite the big one & in a bad way.

I'll let the tree huggers get in touch with nature in that fashion.

Nyx my cat reserves the right to eat anything else alive and smaller then herself and she can run faster then I can!! Nyx-peaceful-noflash.jpg

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Eating tarantulas is one reason that they're endangered in the wild. Besides it makes no economic sense to eat an animal that takes 3 to 5 times longer then a chicken to mature and is a small fraction of it's size. (Can't eat eggs either)

It would be a delicacy at best, like the monkey brain scene from faces of death, nothing practical.

The feeders like roaches or mealworms at least grow rapidly enough to be economical.

Besides, tarantulas have a number of conditions with causes unknown, impaction, dks, internal parasites etc. If you eat it, you may bite the big one & in a bad way.

I'll let the tree huggers get in touch with nature in that fashion.

Nyx my cat reserves the right to eat anything else alive and smaller then herself and she can run faster then I can!! View attachment 267574
Your cat is beautiful. And I'm sure she is a great hunter.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I found a box of chocolate tarantulas...... mmmmm mmmmm good,,,, all solid milk chocolate :)
Ive also had gummy tarantulas also real good ,,, not as good as the chocolate ones but will do in pinch :angelic: