Has anyone here ever eaten their tarantula?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, I forgot to mention that horse meat (that btw I will eat this evening) hands down on my book taste better than a little lamb one, even if lamb meat has dignity as well, uh :-s

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Do you eat meat?

Edit: It's basicly the same when people can't understand that anyone could eat a dog or a cat, but they have no problem eating a pig. I don't see a difference.
I don't know about Finland, but why don't you go over to a Dog or Cat forum with a large number of USA members and ask in a thread if anyone there has tasted dog or cat. Post the link back on this board when you do it. Then lets see how long you remain a member of that forum. As an alternative why don't you go to a forum where Indian people post and ask them about beef as food. There is an etiquette in knowing what bothers people on the forum where you are posting discussion. Tarantulas should not be degraded as a living creature any more than other animals.

I traveled to Japan for my employer and ate a huge variety of seafood with a lot of it unknown due to language barrier. But I would not go to a forum and talk about any of these creatures as food in front of people who have an emotional attachment to the same creature.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know about Finland, but why don't you go over to a Dog or Cat forum with a large number of USA members and ask in a thread if anyone there has tasted dog or cat. Post the link back on this board when you do it. Then lets see how long you remain a member of that forum. As an alternative why don't you go to a forum where Indian people post and ask them about beef as food. There is an etiquette in knowing what bothers people on the forum where you are posting discussion. Tarantulas should not be degraded as a living creature any more than other animals.

I traveled to Japan for my employer and ate a huge variety of seafood with a lot of it unknown due to language barrier. But I would not go to a forum and talk about any of these creatures as food in front of people who have an emotional attachment to the same creature.
Here in Finland we pretty much eat the same things than you in USA. We even have most of the fast food places you have there. But no, we don't eat dogs or cats.

I understand what you mean about the etiquette and all, but as much as I love my tarantulas, I don't see anything wrong with people eating them.

Edit: I think it's pretty cheap to start a message with "I don't know about Finland, but ..." You aren't any better, you know. Just because you happened to born in USA.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Here in Finland we pretty much eat the same things than you in USA. We even have most of the fast food places you have there. But no, we don't eat dogs or cats.

I understand what you mean about the etiquette and all, but as much as I love my tarantulas, I don't see anything wrong with people eating them.

Edit: I think it's pretty cheap to start a message with "I don't know about Finland, but ..."
I am saying it is wrong to talk about eating them in front of people who have emotional attachment to them. I am not saying people who eat them are evil.

I suspect the market for them is not huge, but if we look at what has happened to some other animals that have been over-harvested, it can't be a good thing if they do become a desired food.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Edit: I think it's pretty cheap to start a message with "I don't know about Finland, but ..." You aren't any better, you know. Just because you happened to born in USA.
I missed part of your comment. I don't get this part of your comment at all. I know nothing about Finland and have only visited a couple European countries. My statement simply says that I don't know what you eat or consider as most important in Finland. I don't care whether you eat dogs or don't eat dogs. I don't care whether you eat tarantulas or don't eat tarantulas. I only know what we consider important here in the USA. People go berserk here for lots of things related to dogs and cats, but could care less about tarantulas. I know tarantulas are much more popular in Europe, but I don't know where dogs and cats fit in where you live.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I missed part of your comment. I don't get this part of your comment at all. I know nothing about Finland and have only visited a couple European countries. My statement simply says that I don't know what you eat or consider as most important in Finland. I don't care whether you eat dogs or don't eat dogs. I don't care whether you eat tarantulas or don't eat tarantulas. I only know what we consider important here in the USA. People go berserk here for lots of things related to dogs and cats, but could care less about tarantulas. I know tarantulas are much more popular in Europe, but I don't know where dogs and cats fit in where you live.
OK. I misunderstood you.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I don't want a tarantula in my mouth under any circumstances. :p

I have eaten fried mealworms and crickets though; the mealworms were pretty good, but crickets taste kind of like cardboard when fried to the extent that they were. Crickets are kinda nasty to raise anyway, seems risky to eat them regularly unless you cook the diseases out of them.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
OK. I misunderstood you.
I suspect Finland is a great place to visit and the people are good people. Unfortunately most of my travel has been work related where I never get much time to learn about the place I visit. It is always fun and educational to learn about things that are different.

I will also say my use of grammar could always use improvements even if it is my only language.:wacky:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
In most countries where insects are consumed they are not consumed due to being poor. They are in fact a delicacy.
I have eaten chocolate covered ants. I actually enjoyed them.
Just because it is not normal to us, doesn't make it wrong.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
You can't take a guess as to why bugs are not a dietary staple everywhere anymore? :p Perhaps it's because in some parts of the world people have to eat what they can find or die of starvation while in other parts of the world people benefit from livestock farming and having grocery stores. To those who say they would never eat an insect, or arachnid, I say you haven't been hungry enough yet. :)

Here is one of my favorite videos on children in Venezuela finding and eating Theraphosa apophysis. Nope, no Wal-Mart in that neighborhood.

With a little seasoning they go down a treat.haha!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
@Paramite
I like Finland! I lived in Turku for a year as an exchange student. I miss the strong coffee and pulla bread. I don't remember any bug eating there although I did drink reindeer milk in Lapland.:happy:

I think I'd try insects if I was traveling in a place where it was custom to eat them. I'd be curious. Besides, lobsters are like giant bugs.

I would not eat one of my Ts. That would just make me feel very sad and perplexed.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I don't think I would appreciate that texture of a tarantula. Thinking about that gooey abdomen makes me want to dry heave. I have eaten crickets, meal worms, small scorpions, ants, and live termites before. They were all pretty bland except for the termites. Those tasted like minty carrots. I was a fan.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The differences are in taste: cats meat is a more IMO crappy rabbit one. Dogs meat is poop, according to people I trust that in China eaten those 'wok' style. When it comes to the Noble Pig, in Italy we literally throw away nothing :cigar:
While I agree the pig is a noble animal with lots of magic meat on it. How can you not like rabbit meat?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
While I agree the pig is a noble animal with lots of magic meat on it. How can you not like rabbit meat?
I was always a huge fan of rabbit meat. My grandmother had those, in her country house. We love to eat rabbit in every possible way: reduced as 'sauce' on spaghetti is wonderful.

Just that after playing 'Manhunt' on PS2 (an helluva of years ago) I got disturbed by that 'chase the rabbit mission' so I can't anymore eat that :-/

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The problem is not eat a Theraphosidae for me. The fact that I love those (like everyone here) wouldn't matter.

The problem is that, on my personal taste 'book' when it comes to food, IMO there's nothing to eat that seems decent: legs... opisthosoma :vomit: for real?

Mah, on the other hand, Casu Marzu (Italian cheese with live worms inside) is a Delicatessen, a truly King's dish :)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I once prekilled then microwaved a few feeder crickets and tried them. They tasted like raw shrimp lol. I have tried several, dried mealworms, and they weren't too bad. If given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to try a t. I mean, my mom's favorite food is literally rice coated and fried with animal blood... And yes, we are Asian. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And yes, we are Asian. :)
I love Asians because, unlike we Italians (and we literally eat almost everything that moves) they (talking about Asia in general now, of course) pushed that to a new level: T's, centipedes, how to proper 'Wok' a dog etc :kiss:

We are of Vegans! :)