Has anyone heard of a bright red spider?

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last summer, my mom was down in Alabama, and she saw a bright red spider. We have never seen a reference to one except for in Australia. Has anyone heard of this? I'll ask my mom to post a description id\f she can for you.

Laura

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was a pretty, orb weaver klind of spider, Was bigger
then 1/2", made a very distinct type of web in bushes
low to the ground. Had a oval shape abdomen,
carapace wasn't small compared to the abdomen
as the carapace is on a black widow. It was bright
red all over, and no design on the abdomen. Tried
to take a digital picture, but my camera isn't
very good at phto. small things I guess. This spider
doesn't appear in any of the books I have or what
we found on the internet that is suppose to be in the US.
Sharon

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
OOOOOOOO OOOO my man went to Alabama the end of December and TOOK pictures of a BRIGHT red Orb weaver spider...of course he took it on the Memory Card and I have NO idea how to download it onto my computer...:rolleyes: But I can see it on the camera!! its very pretty. Definatly an Orb weaver of some sort.
I'll work on the link up to my PC and see if I cant download the dern picture.
Michelle

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Yes...well...half way down its legs it goes to black and white bands but half the legs and the body ect ect are all bright red!! VERY cool spider!

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't remember what the legs looked like, but they were long. I even saw 2 of them on one of the webs so I figured they were breeding. They were bright red though and darn, I wish I could have gotten a decent picture. If I ever get back there, I would bring one home with me. Its nice to know someone else has seen one of these and I'm not really nuts.

Sharon