1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone found a uniform looking option for enclosures?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by JulianH1001, Oct 9, 2019.

1. JulianH1001

JulianH1001 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey y'all! I wanted to get some suggestions for enclosures. When we only had our G. rosea we used an aquarium tank that was sold with her. Since getting more tarantulas I've transitioned into Jamie's enclosures, which I like a lot better.

However, I've noticed they seem to be inappropriate for fossorials. My H. gigas doesn't have a lot of room to burrow in it, and that's after blocking off about half the vent holes to fill substrate higher. It seems weird to me that a top seller in the hobby wouldn't have enclosures more suited to burrowers, but it is what it is. I could always customize them myself to add more ventilation higher and block it off lower, but that's a lot of added work for something that already costs an arm and a leg in the first place.

Critter keepers have a cool look, but aren't suited for arboreals or high humidity species. Target has cool food storage containers that would be great for arboreals, but not for terrestrials. My ideal would be having all my adults in similar looking enclosures (just a personal preference, of course). I can get over this desire if it's necessary, but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had found a good source for uniform enclosures with options for all the tarantula lifestyles (terrestrial, arboreal, fossorial, high/low humidity).

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pyroxian

Pyroxian Arachnopeon Active Member

Iowa
    Have you looked at Dreamco plastics?

3. JulianH1001

JulianH1001 Arachnopeon

These look great, and affordable too!

4. Pyroxian

Iowa
    And they do custom work if you need a different size or different ventilation location/quantity. We haven't picked any up (yet), but they're at the top of my short list for adult enclosures for my son's current slings.

5. Kitara

Kitara Arachnoknight Active Member

US
    I absolutely love my enclosure from DreamCo Plastics. It's very well made and was reasonably priced. It's 8x8x8, 1/4" acrylic, $35 + $15 shipping. It was also VERY well packaged. However, custom enclosures take 6-8 weeks (mine took 8) to arrive. That's the only downside for me because working with this company was fantastic and I'm definitely going to order from them again.

The one on the top left is the DreamCo enclosure. The one on the top right is from another company. I like the one from DreamCo a touch better because the lid on the one on the right is 1/8" acrylic and has warped a bit making the hasps more difficult to open. I like the full 1/4" acrylic lid.

20191006_163353.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pyroxian

Iowa
    Your pic of that cube in the terrarium photos thread is what pushed them up to the top of my short list for future adult enclosures. Glad to see you pop in here too.

7. Kitara

Kitara Arachnoknight Active Member

US
    I love it and they were so good to work with. Their customer service team responds to email very quickly. I cant wait for my little Thunder to web it up!