Has a cricket given birth in T’s enclosure?

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
My B.hamorii has a hide she doesn’t use much, a cricket managed to get itself right into the far corner where I couldn’t retrieve it. I’ve noticed this evening there’s a few tiny ‘bugs’ in there, similar size to a grain of sand, crawling around. There’s also what looks like grains of rice, similar to maggots I suppose. They’re in a slightly damp corner because on the other side of the hide is her water dish which I occasionally overfill.

Can’t really get a photo because the bugs are too small.

Not sure what to do, any help appreciated. Thanks

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Sounds like you have two types of bugs, the tiny one sounds like mites, which are harmless and shouldn't really be an issue. They appear from uneaten prey or bolus. The second, which you claim to be maggots, could be cricket larvae. But who knows? I would clean them out if possible. It could also be phorid fly larvae, which they are annoying to deal with. But I doubt its phorid fly larvae, either way, you should clean those maggots out. And also do some spot on cleaning so they have nothing to feed on. ;)

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
Thanks for info! So the mites were likely already on the cricket? I’ll clean out that area of her enclosure. Then spot clean the rest. I’m going to have to take her out of her enclosure to do it though, that should be ok right?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thanks for info! So the mites were likely already on the cricket? I’ll clean out that area of her enclosure. Then spot clean the rest. I’m going to have to take her out of her enclosure to do it though, that should be ok right?
It should be ok, just make sure to do it quickly.

cold blood

Staff member
Just spot clean and dry things out completely....no need for major cleanings and probably no need to move her.....but putting her in a catch cup for a little bit isn't going to be harmful.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds like mites and springtails, possibly?

Was the cricket female?

Either way, unless they are taking over the enclosure I wouldn't worry about them. If they ARE crickets, you'll know as they'll get larger rather quickly... adult crickets are 5 weeks old.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeh exactly like that!
They're springtails aka "free clean up crew" (technically so are mites but everyone finds them a lot more unsightly).

If you can, collect some and keep them in a ventilated tub filled with slightly moist sub and just sprinkle some fish food or oatmeal in there every now and again. You can then add them to any enclosure that will support them.