Species Harpactira pulchripes

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Worth so much more than its weight in gold. In fact, over almost four decades of tarantula keeping this is the most I've ever paid for a spiderling. These images depict 4th instar Harpactira pulchripes, a species I recently imported and one of the most coveted of tarantula spiders. Already a stunner, eventually this spider will be brilliant gold with bluish and golden legs. See the cover of Patrick Gildenhuy's A Pictorial Guide to the Baboon Spiders of Southern Africa for one excellent photo of an adult.

Harpactira pulchripes Pocock, 1901

Harpactira pulchripes Pocock, 1901

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are indeed gorgeous. Anyone know how big they get? Are they webbers like M. balfouri or burrowers like A. junodi?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can't wait for these to become more prevalent in the hobby here in the US.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
@ everyone - Thanks for viewing and commenting

@ Jason - Yes I did. :cool:

@ JZC - I'm a dealer and certainly am not going to reveal my cost on something I listed for sale. The vague "most I've paid for a spiderling" gives a good enough idea ;)

@ Ceratogyrus - They were captive-bred in Europe, sold by the breeder at the Hamm show and imported by me via an associate.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@ everyone - Thanks for viewing and commenting

@ Jason - Yes I did. :cool:

@ JZC - I'm a dealer and certainly am not going to reveal my cost on something I listed for sale. The vague "most I've paid for a spiderling" gives a good enough idea ;)

@ Ceratogyrus - They were captive-bred in Europe, sold by the breeder at the Hamm show and imported by me via an associate.
Ok. Would have loved to find out who the idiot was who illegally exported them. :(

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Cool nice pics, I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection, they sound expensive so could be a while, just bought a new trapdoor the day so all is good.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Surely you're aware that the species has been advertised and sold in Germany and has been in the European hobby of late? I believe mine marks a US first, but this species is becoming established in arachnoculture just like a number of other South African harpactirids.

Is this Patrick? If so, please email me at exoticfauna@gmail.com regarding paying for your book shipped to US.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Ceratogyrua, living there you know better, but I just read the Animal Improvement Act and it does seem that exportation of animals is not out and out outlawed - it just seems to require a lot of red tape. If I am reading it correctly, it is possible these spiders were not smuggled out.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I should add that I have no knowledge of how this species or any other entered the hobby and am making no comment on legal or illegal, right or wrong. But many of the species in tarantulaculture (the genus Poecilotheria is the best example) were originally acquired ... let's say 'mysteriously', and now are established and have eliminated the need for any future 'acquisitions'.

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ceratogyrua, living there you know better, but I just read the Animal Improvement Act and it does seem that exportation of animals is not out and out outlawed - it just seems to require a lot of red tape. If I am reading it correctly, it is possible these spiders were not smuggled out.
I can guarantee that they were illegally exported. No one has gotten permits to legally export them out of the country yet. We were working on a system to get permits in the future, but seems it is not going to work. :(

@Michael, I am not Patrick.

---------- Post added 06-19-2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

Surely you're aware that the species has been advertised and sold in Germany and has been in the European hobby of late? I believe mine marks a US first, but this species is becoming established in arachnoculture just like a number of other South African harpactirids.

Is this Patrick? If so, please email me at exoticfauna@gmail.com regarding paying for your book shipped to US.
Wasn't aware of where you were from, but pretty sure these were illegally exported to Europe and not America.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Here is the same spider three molts later. Now about 2.5" in diagonal legspan and sexed (male). He is now on a starvation diet as I power feed my much younger H. pulchripes to mature before he does.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dear lord! that is the most beautiful tarantula I have ever seen. it blows P Metallica and the others away! the contrast! you better start breeding them here in the US, because in a couple years i want one haha ;D

JZC

Arachnobaron
That tarantula is gorgeous. It looks like I.mira and P.murinius made a baby!

Rageclick

Arachnopeon
This sp. has reached the shores of our country and being sold very expensively at around $326 us if converted. I want one but can't afford one yet. I. Mira + P. Murinus is the exact description of this sp. hahaha

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Same spider at maturity:

Harpactira pulchripes, ultimate male
(compare to same male illustrated as immature at beginning of thread)

Harpactira pulchripes, ultimate male
(compare to same male illustrated as immature at beginning of thread)