Harpactira pulchripes care

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are very sensitive to any moisture in the sub...too much will kill them rapidly, they really need dry conditions for the most part. This is pretty unique to Harpactira from what I have experienced, the other baboons can handle some excess moisture without issue.

Take P.murinus for example, members of the Ceratogyrus genus, etc...
H.gigas needs moist substrate even as adults.
You can throw every other Hysterocrates species in that list, and your divine goddess as well, which we all know and love. (Pelinobius muticus)
Are there any other spiders that need to be kept bone dry as slings? I'm assuming the rest of the genus and Harpactirella?
Almost all of the baboons. They are really the only ones that should be kept dry as slings, otherwise slings should be kept universally moist.
Your not wrong, generally speaking...but there are more then a few baboons that will need moisture when small. And others all the way into adulthood.
Eucratoscelus, Idiothele, Hysterocates, Pelinobius all need moisture...in my book, even Pterinochilus are raised with a little moist spot as slings.

boina

Lady of the mites
H. pulchripes a dwarf? At what adult size do you begin to consider a species a dwarf?
Hm, I may be wrong, but I always thought they were a smaller species. How big do they get? (Mine are 2" right now, so that's where my experience ends so far...)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hm, I may be wrong, but I always thought they were a smaller species. How big do they get? (Mine are 2" right now, so that's where my experience ends so far...)
They are a smaller species, females are typically mature at 3.5-4''. MMs are minuscule in comparison.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What species would be a decent "beginner" Old World?
None of these are beginner species, just good first OW species for experienced keepers who want to start keeping OW species.
  • Augacephalus ezendami
  • Ceratogyrus
  • Eucratoscelus pachypus
  • Idiothele mira
  • Monocentropus balfouri

There are some NW species that are considered good stepping stones to OW due to their temperament:
  • Ephebopus murinus
  • Phormictopus
  • Psalmopoeus

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
My M balfouri was a bit more finicky of an water then my H pulchripes. Unlike H pulchripes, M balfouri slings dig extensive tunnel systems and build highly elaborate webs above ground.

They also actually do better communally according to almost all reports I've read. You really have to watch out for webbing the water dish for balfouri no matter where it is.

Mine was a slightly slower grower, but she was a female.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are very sensitive to any moisture in the sub...too much will kill them rapidly, they really need dry conditions for the most part. This is pretty unique to Harpactira from what I have experienced, the other baboons can handle some excess moisture without issue.

Take P.murinus for example, members of the Ceratogyrus genus, etc...

You can throw every other Hysterocrates species in that list, and your divine goddess as well, which we all know and love. (Pelinobius muticus)

Your not wrong, generally speaking...but there are more then a few baboons that will need moisture when small. And others all the way into adulthood.
Eucratoscelus, Idiothele, Hysterocates, Pelinobius all need moisture...in my book, even Pterinochilus are raised with a little moist spot as slings.
Thought it was something beyond that.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thought it was something beyond that.
Another thing I noticed was that this particular species seemed to prefer things on the warmer side, warm dry conditions and they thrive.
They are very sensitive to any moisture in the sub
Much like with avics, excess moisture combined with bad vent would exacerbate things all the more. H.pulchripes slings tend to be pretty fragile from what I have seen, juvies over the 2'' mark are already much hardier and can tolerate a wider range of conditions IME.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Um, are you thinking of Heterothele?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Mainly I would just avoid anything that's extremely defensive.

H pulchripes is about as simple as you can get. Hopefully my male will breed successfully and I'll get a few slings back, but which I mean 2 or 3 not half. I'm also getting 2 other Ts in trade for him as well, but I'm keeping that under wraps until I get them safely home.

It'll be a double unboxing, still debating whether or not to film it.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Very easy to care for. I have 4. 1 that I raised from a sling, 2 Craigslist rescues, and now another sling. I've only gotten 1 attack bite and threat posture from my adult female. I was checking in on her and breathed a little to hard to the front of the exoterra. She was sitting right I'll front and I didn't know it when I was wearing in. She popped right up and hit the glass and stayed in a threat posture.

Other then that all four have been a piece of cake to take care of. Waiting for one of my males to molt 1 more time and then I plan on breeding them. It will be my first time breeding any tarantula, so fingers crossed.

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Here's the set up i have ready for it. It was actually smaller than i expected when i got it (only about 1cm) so i just have it in a sling pot for now and will transfer it after it's next moult.
38858658_226232784749718_1474097849036701696_n.jpg

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Here's the set up i have ready for it. It was actually smaller than i expected when i got it (only about 1cm) so i just have it in a sling pot for now and will transfer it after it's next moult.
View attachment 283422
Looks like more of a setup for an avic sling, leave the dish on the ground, a lower placed hide would be best as well...these are terrestrials.

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
Looks like more of a setup for an avic sling, leave the dish on the ground, a lower placed hide would be best as well...these are terrestrials.
The hide does have an entrance at ground level and with substrate inside so it can burrow into it. I decided to elevate the water dish based on peoples advice to avoid it getting webbed up and wiking water down into the substrate.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The hide does have an entrance at ground level and with substrate inside so it can burrow into it. I decided to elevate the water dish based on peoples advice to avoid it getting webbed up and wiking water down into the substrate.
I feel you there man, but its going to be hard for your pulchripes to access the water dish in that position...I would be more worried about that. The webbed up water bowl is something your going to have to deal with no matter what, it might even web it all the way up there, they are quite determined at times lol.

Just clean it off when necessary, its a pain in the ass but part of keeping these spiders.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
That's true, but the H pulchripes is more then capable of climbing the walls and I've even seen mine upside down once or twice.

Here's my mature male looking for a girlfriend.

H pulchripes Hybris hooked out 1.jpg

Here's him once again on the wall when younger. He was recently rehoused after getting new mold free substrate.

H pulchripes cage care 2.jpg

I'm not sure what he was doing there but the hissing cockroach I recently put in might've had something to do with it.

H pulchripes what sex 1.jpg

I don't think getting the water dish will be a problem. He or she might web it up but at least she won't flip it over or throw a bunch of crap in it.

Lees Invertebrates

Arachnopeon
These are considered an advanced species, fast, flighty and they have some nasty venom. Not the best first OW, but manageable.

The care for these is very simple, although they aren't like other slings that need to be kept moist when small. They are one of the most susceptible to death via "too much moisture" keep the sub predominantly dry and have a small water dish in there. Extremely hardy spiders. These will typically make a shallow web burrow, and spend lots of time hidden away.

Lovely tarantulas but easy to kill if you aren't ready for them. Make sure you think it through, too many people rush into advanced OWs just cause they are beautiful.
I have this species. They are extremely easy! This was actually my first T!!