Harmless millipedes?

RachelDiplo

Arachnopeon
It may be a lot to ask, because I know that most all species of millipede can secrete some form of harmful substance (if threatened), but I'm thinking of owning a millipede in the future and wondering if there are any that don't (and if that's not possible, which species are the least poisonous). I've read that the Narceus Americanus does secrete a slightly irritating substance, but unlike some other species, not hydrogen cyanide. As a new millipede owner, I am aware that I will have to get used to coming in contact with these substances, which I am completely OK with, but I would still like to be as cautious as possible when it comes to selecting a species. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
My first millipedes were smoky ghost millepedes (Narceus Gordanus) and i owned them for about 2 years until they died of old age, they produced babies in my care and I foolishly threw them away during a bin cleaning. They were great millipedes and never secreted in my care even with many handling encounters with myself, my girlfriend, and her daughter. They're hardy pedes for sure.

RachelDiplo

Arachnopeon
My first millipedes were smoky ghost millepedes (Narceus Gordanus) and i owned them for about 2 years until they died of old age, they produced babies in my care and I foolishly threw them away during a bin cleaning. They were great millipedes and never secreted in my care even with many handling encounters with myself, my girlfriend, and her daughter. They're hardy pedes for sure.
Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to look into them.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been secreted on by a number of species. The only way I’ve known it is by the yellow or purple stain that has resulted. I felt absolutely no irritation or sensation otherwise. I have never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction, but anything is possible.

Millipedes make unusual, interesting, odor-free and easy care pets.

Welcome to the Boards!

Last edited:

RachelDiplo

Arachnopeon
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been secreted in by a number of species. The only way I’ve known it is by the yellow or purple stain that has resulted. I felt absolutely no irritation or sensation otherwise. I have never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction, but anything is possible.

Millipedes make unusual, interesting, odor-free and easy care pets.

Welcome to the Boards!
Thank you! This was very helpful!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Acladocricus sp. (Philippine Blue's) don't secrete very often, and they are very beautiful once they become adults, although they are expensive. I agree with @REEFSPIDER, N. gordanus is also a very good species, although they are incredibly fossorial, and usually are only visible at night, and you don't want to dig through the substrate unless it is an absolute emergency. One of the best species in my opinion is Chicobolus spinigerus, because it stays on the surface most of the time, is hardy, and is very calm.
Anyway, Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Diplopoda!

Arthroverts

Mariamatic

Arachnopeon
I rarely have any of my millipede species secrete anything on me, and it's never been at all a problem, I just set them back down and wash my hands, no lasting staining or irritation. You'll usually smell it before you get it on your hands anyway since it has an odor. They're in general very gentle and conflict-averse animals and the few times I've gotten toxin on my hands it's usually been my own fault (having butter fingers and dropping the pede back into the subtrate several times consecutively trying to pick her up, having to pry one out from behind the backing foam of my exo terra with very little room to maneuver when he found a hole and then got trapped back there, etc). My grumpiest by far are my Dendrostreptus macracanthus, so I'd say skip on them. If you want to avoid the stronger toxins don't get one of the flat-backed polydesmida species, they are the only ones who can secrete cyanide. Though none of my polydesmida have ever secreted on me.

Last edited:

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
I keep a Rainbow Millipede (Tonkinbolus dollfus) and she has never once secreted when I've handled her, she's more prone to just roll up and wait until "coast is clear" then she's out and about. They aren't too fast either so keeping track of them while they're out of the faunicarium is easy and she seems to be happy to be above ground constantly looking around. Got a second coming Tuesday to keep her company.

Cazador

Arachnosquire
In several years of keeping Florida ivories I never had one secrete fluids when handled. The only time it happened was because a millipede was sick or dying; the liquid stained my hand orange, then a bruised color, then disappeared after a few hours, no discomfort or anything.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The giant round species can produce an acid similar to that found in henna tattoo paste. On unbroken skin it causes no sensation but will sting if it gets in a cut. Fortunately the color goes away a lot faster than henna.

Cazador

Arachnosquire
The giant round species can produce an acid similar to that found in henna tattoo paste. On unbroken skin it causes no sensation but will sting if it gets in a cut. Fortunately the color goes away a lot faster than henna.
I didn't know it was similar to henna paste. Neat!