Hapolopelma Lividum Help!

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Hey I have a new Cobalt Blue tarantula I got about two weeks ago. He got a bleed that I patched with super glue, and he seemed to be fine afterward. He hasn't eaten in my care, so that concerns me, and he is very restless, climbing all over the walls and very unlike the pet hole I've read about. Please help me understand if this is normal and if i need to change anything 20171219_191631.jpg received_362932097452141.jpeg 20171219_191631.jpg received_362932097452141.jpeg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Can you post a picture of the whole enclosure? The ones you posted here are a bit confusing to say the least.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Aside for the inches of substrate (personally I offer way more) the set up seems ok but the substrate looks (from the pic... maybe it's my eyes, uh) a bit on the dry side.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The super glue thing probably wasn't the best idea, I would suggest avoiding that treatment in the future.

So, you acknowledge that it's a pet hole, but don't fill the tank with substrate? o_O Regardless, it should still make use of what you've provided. I will say that it looks way too dry in there for this species. If you plan on rehousing anyway, go ahead and fill that with substrate. You also don't need nearly as big of an enclosure.

Best of luck.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
The super glue thing probably wasn't the best idea, I would suggest avoiding that treatment in the future.

So, you acknowledge that it's a pet hole, but don't fill the tank with substrate? o_O Regardless, it should still make use of what you've provided. I will say that it looks way too dry in there for this species. If you plan on rehousing anyway, go ahead and fill that with substrate. You also don't need nearly as big of an enclosure.

Best of luck.
I realized that wasnt the best treatment afterward, however it was my first bleed and that is all i had heard of doing. I did much more research afterward. Do you think he is bound to die when molting, or do you think with proper humidity he may be okay?

boina

Lady of the mites
Why and where did your tarantula bleed? You can do a lot of damage with superglue in sensitive areas but on the legs, for example, it will not really pose a problem.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Why and where did your tarantula bleed? You can do a lot of damage with superglue in sensitive areas but on the legs, for example, it will not really pose a problem.
One of his legs bled, i think he fell and somehow scraped or tore the exoskeleton slightly

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've had small punctures before. I always just left them alone. Worked fine.

Yeah, I'd keep it damper with at least 8" of sub. Cage doesn't need to be that big. 2x legpspan for width and 3x lenght is fine.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I've had small punctures before. I always just left them alone. Worked fine.

Yeah, I'd keep it damper with at least 8" of sub. Cage doesn't need to be that big. 2x legpspan for width and 3x lenght is fine.
Im so freaking worried. I was worried about all my previous tarantulas as well, but this is my first old world agressive tarantula. I really want him to be okay. Ill blame myself if any thing happens.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Im so freaking worried. I was worried about all my previous tarantulas as well, but this is my first old world agressive tarantula. I really want him to be okay. Ill blame myself if any thing happens.
As well you should...

cold blood

Staff member
Yea sorry, those first ones were just of the spiders leg.
Never ever under any circumstances try to stop a bleeding legs....All ts have a valve at the base of the leg that they can close to shut of blood flow. A t won't bleed to death from a leg injury....bleeding abdomen, that's a whole different story.

Hopefully the t will amputate before molting...looks like a molt is a good ways away though....which is good for the new growth.

So, you acknowledge that it's a pet hole, but don't fill the tank with substrate? o_O Regardless, it should still make use of what you've provided. I will say that it looks way too dry in there for this species
Agreed.

Personally, there's a lot I would do...add a lot more (damp) sub, replace the screen top with drilled plexi or acrylic, add a hide, and utilize a much larger water dish. JMO

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Never ever under any circumstances try to stop a bleeding legs....All ts have a valve at the base of the leg that they can close to shut of blood flow. A t won't bleed to death from a leg injury....bleeding abdomen, that's a whole different story.

Hopefully the t will amputate before molting...looks like a molt is a good ways away though....which is good for the new growth.

Agreed.

Personally, there's a lot I would do...add a lot more (damp) sub, replace the screen top with drilled plexi or acrylic, add a hide, and utilize a much larger water dish. JMO
Thank you. Your opinion is important, thats why Im asking. I hope no one thinks im terrible or some sort of stupid animal killer. I feel extremely bad and want to give it the best conditions possible. All my other ts are doing very well.

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you. Your opinion is important, thats why Im asking. I hope no one thinks im terrible or some sort of stupid animal killer. I feel extremely bad and want to give it the best conditions possible. All my other ts are doing very well.
Regardless of whether you did something or not, it will almost certainly amputate anyway, so no harm done....just a learning experience.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Regardless of whether you did something or not, it will almost certainly amputate anyway, so no harm done....just a learning experience.
Thank you so much. If anyone thinks Im absolutely stupid im sorry, and im doing the best I can to the best of my knowledge to care for these animals. And fixing that bleed was the very first bleed I had ever encountered. I acted too hastily.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I hope no one thinks im terrible or some sort of stupid animal killer.
Your enclosure is head and shoulders above what we usually see on here for first-time owners. You clearly did a little research :) Just be careful with this species. They're quite defensive, generally speaking.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Mistakes happen. There is some good advice in this thread. Don't beat yourself up too much.