Haplopelma Lividum/ Cyriopagopus Lividus

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Lately I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions on the proper genus and species name, I personally use C. Lividus however I am not a taxonomist. What are your opinions on the topic and why do you hold that stance. I would also like to request papers supporting your point if possible.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Ones opinion doesnt matter...

The paper of Smith and Jacobi is still not confirmd so the genus is still Haplopelma.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, it's hard for me :p too many years of Haplopelma lividum corrupted me, and, as a "brain" level, i keep referring first to those as H.lividum.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
All taxonomists don't agree every time a tarantula species or genus name is changed. And some get changed back, or to something else. It's still a moving target.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
You're safe in calling it Haplopelma. Just be mindful of its new name when searching.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Smith and Jacobi, and by that I mean only Andy, since Jacobi has no taxonomical qualifications from what I know, did not compare Haplopelma and Cyriopagopus type specimens, e.g H. doriae and C. paganus to confirm whether or not Cyriopagopus should be a senior synonym, so basically their paper is a huge guess, hence why its frowned upon by people like Volker von Wirth. :)

creepa

Arachnoknight
From what i know the Haplopelma type species descriprion is lost/destroyd during some war..., so thats why they cant compare the type species of both genera.

The same goes for the description of Haplopelma robustum, so nobody can confirm O. sp. Malaysia blue femur is H. robustum.
And the same goes for O. sp. Borneo orange fringed and H. doriae

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
So from what I'm gathering, people are going to use both and taxonomists are unable to properly compare the genera at this time so it is still Haplopelma.