Hapalopus sp. Columbia

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
I have been thinking about getting a Pumpkin Patch T, and I've done a pretty good amount of research to know how to properly care for them. I was just wondering if anyone has some good advice or information that I might not know. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Skittish, fast, web a lot, great eaters...gorgeous little spiders. You can't go wrong, I love my female.

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
Hapalopus formosus....keep them as you would H. incei....
Formosus... hm, that's the first time I've seen that. So they have two names?

I'm a tiny bit worried that it's going to be extremely skittish, but I've heard some pretty good reviews about them. I am so ecstatic for my money to come in so I can order it.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on your definition of 'extremely' skittish, but they don't seem to stand out. They certainly fit the description of skittish, but I don't think they'd be challenging for someone with a moderate level of experience. They're fairly bulletproof as far as I can tell, and good eaters too.

Formosus... hm, that's the first time I've seen that. So they have two names?
I believe formosus is correct, but taxonomy within the genus seems to be a mess.

wlutman

Arachnopeon
I am raising 3 slings....tiny still

I can only comment in 10 months or the rest of your questions =)

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
At first I was a bit nervous about slings but I purchased a B. boehmei and an L. parahybana sling and they're doing wonderfully, so I am much more confident about the whole thing.
I'll be getting the H. formosus as a 1/8".
I will definitely try and post pictures when it gets big enough for my camera to recognize it. :)

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Catfishrod/Comatose...

and the diagnosis any of these hobby forms are H.formosus is based on what exactly?

have any research papers to show that old museum specimens have been examined to justify this?

i think the answer is no, so why anyone has changed labels to say H.formosus based on no facts nor justification is beyond me.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i really dont have a clue. im just going by what i have seen others labeling them as. i thought maybe they were categorized with names, and the new name was formosus. personally the research papers might as well be written in porteguese, because i dont have a clue what it says. and by reading something that just says a bunch of dates, and where they were found, sure isnt gonna help us out.

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
Catfishrod/Comatose...

and the diagnosis any of these hobby forms are H.formosus is based on what exactly?

have any research papers to show that old museum specimens have been examined to justify this?

i think the answer is no, so why anyone has changed labels to say H.formosus based on no facts nor justification is beyond me.
I believe that any of the aforementioned names work. I don't think any one name has been set in stone. Some say H. formosus, some say H. sp. Columbia, some say H. sp. Pumpkin Patch. I suppose until one name is specifically permanently set it doesn't particularly matter....

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i understand that. but what if we all think we have the same Ts, and there are just a bunch of different names...then turns out we all actually have different Ts. going to be hard to tell them apart and be able to breed them and keep them in the hobby, when we dont even know for sure what they are right now.
I believe that any of the aforementioned names work. I don't think any one name has been set in stone. Some say H. formosus, some say H. sp. Columbia, some say H. sp. Pumpkin Patch. I suppose until one name is specifically permanently set it doesn't particularly matter....

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
i understand that. but what if we all think we have the same Ts, and there are just a bunch of different names...then turns out we all actually have different Ts. going to be hard to tell them apart and be able to breed them and keep them in the hobby, when we dont even know for sure what they are right now.
I understand what you mean. Makes sense. :)

Shell

Staff member
Read the post by Tarcan in the thread I linked you above. It explains this whole name thing as well as possible. As he said, Hapalopus sp. Colombia (large or small depending which you're getting, they are 2 different species) is what they should be labelled as right now.

It absolutely does matter, maybe not for a hobbyist not interested in breeding, but for those of us who do and have these spiders, we need to be absolutely certain what we have before we pair them. Otherwise we could do more damage than good and create a muddy mess similar to the Avicularia genus.

Good choice of spider though, as I said before, they are a great addition to any collection. Very fun little spiders.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is exactly when it does matter. It's important to maintain a consistent name, whether or not it's 'official', so that people can properly identify what they have. When there's a half dozen names for similar things, it's impossible to determine the exact origin of what you have. If it remains the exactly the same, then at least you know that anything called species "X" can be paired with each other. When names are applied haphazardly, it's hard to tell if species "Y" can breed with species "Z" because the history and their origins are no longer clear.

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
Read the post by Tarcan in the thread I linked you above. It explains this whole name thing as well as possible. As he said, Hapalopus sp. Colombia (large or small depending which you're getting, they are 2 different species) is what they should be labelled as right now.

It absolutely does matter, maybe not for a hobbyist not interested in breeding, but for those of us who do and have these spiders, we need to be absolutely certain what we have before we pair.
Sorry, I know and understand that. I mean it doesn't matter to me because I'm not interested in breeding. No, I know it matters in those cases. So sorry. :(

Shell

Staff member
Sorry, I know and understand that. I mean it doesn't matter to me because I'm not interested in breeding. No, I know it matters in those cases. So sorry. :(
No need to be sorry, I didn't mean it in a nasty way. :) This hobby can be confusing and muddy as it is, so as much info and correct labelling as we can do, is very important.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the same thing as Shell
No need to be sorry, I didn't mean it in a nasty way. :) This hobby can be confusing and muddy as it is, so as much info and correct labelling as we can do, is very important.