1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by bunniegh, Mar 14, 2019.

1. bunniegh

bunniegh Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have a pink toe. I have been watching videos about tarantulas and their enclosures and feeding them. I see all sorts of people everywhere picking up their T’s and the T just slowly walks or sits, no problem at all. I’ve seen this in pink toes and in rose hairs and others. (I am very new to tarantulas f.y.i) I moved my pink toe today from the enclosure she came in, to a new one. I used a cup to pick her up. In the process of trying to place her in the new enclosure she ran out the cup up the side and out of the new enclosure on to the table (giving me a heart attack, no worries she is safe and closed up now) but I’m just confused on how people pick theirs up so easily and mine just flips out. Why??? Also for future reference when it comes to tank cleaning can anyone tell me how to avoid her doing that so that next time she doesn’t run off and end up injured?

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Those are called idiots...don't try to emulate idiots.

Editing. People only tend to post stupid things that work out....things that don't work out get edited or discarded.

Ts do not require major cleanings, just spot cleanings...this can easily be done with a long tweezers without even bothering your avic.

If you do a re house and need to move it, just put a deli cup in front or over the t, and usher it in, put the cap on and you have a completely uneventful re house.

All ts should be transferred like this, makes things so easy for the human, and safe for the t.

Work smarter, not harder

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Handling is very frowned upon for those exact reasons. You do not know what the spider will do. As for how to stop her from doing that, use a straw or paintbrush to gently prod her into the cup.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SavageCritter

SavageCritter Arachnopeon Active Member

PA
    Hi Bunniegh, and congrats on the new T! How a T responds to handling varies a lot from individual to individual, and in general it's best to just take a hands off approach, since even a pet who normally is very calm may surprise you. Tom Moran has a very helpful rehousing video up on YouTube that it might help to watch (). Good job on getting her into the enclosure, by the way, and not panicking!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

I swear I see about 5-6 photos a day on Facebook and or Instagram of people holding their Poecilotheria and every time I hope they get bit so they stop acting like morons.

6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

if they do, you wouldnt likely hear about it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

Unless the media gets ahold of it somehow. Then the headlines will scream "Local spider keeper bitten by giant deadly tarantula!"

Followed later by "Lawmakers considering exotic pet ban."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnodemon Old Timer

The main issue here is not "the risk of dropping the spider" which of course is present. The real issue is taken the animal from its safe and habitual enviroment=the terrarium! I am no biologist, but i can assume this is very stressful for it? Sometimes one has to move the amimal. Moving ut to another tank, selling it and so on, but that is best done by cupping it in a container. No risk of dropping it that way Basicly handling should be done as little as possible. The only time i handle tarantula is hen slings and juveniles are growing out of there enclosures and have to be moved to bigger, obviosly! When the spider was adult and i rehoused it into its adult enclosure and i saw that it astablished itself i never handled it. Only time i handled a adult spider was when i mived the male into females cage, or i sold an adult tarantula! Ofcourse i, like everybody else? Handled a tarantula to feel like how it was, but once i had done that i stopped. For me, tarantulas gave always been observation animals, like fishes

There where one intresting exeption though! 10 years ago i held a speech in my daughters school. Talking to her classmates about spiders. I had a mature female and a mature male with me and showed them and talked about their diffrences and tarantulas in general. I let the kids pet the tarantulas. (B harmorii) and showed them that tarantulas are intresting and nothing fearful! I made my point and the kids dared to hold the spiders after a while! I made it clear for them that this is something one shouldnt do, that they are not cats or dogs. Though it may not be the wisest thing, the kids and female teacher overcame their fear and i think that is important to!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:43 AM
  9. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnolord Active Member

dont handle; use your brain.

/thread

10. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnodemon Old Timer

11. Dandrobates

Dandrobates Arachnopeon Active Member

I would definitely check out west coast exotic’s videos on the benefits of handling Lol.

Seriously though, people on YouTube with the exception of a limited few offer bad advice not only in regards to care but also to handling. Ultimately what they do has the potential to be very detrimental to the hobby. This premise applies to all exotic animals handled for show and shock value.

Say for example a YouTuber with a massive number of followers gets bitten by say an H. Mac or a Pokie and ends up in the hospital. It makes the news and then out come the pitch forks. Or worse, a novice gets bitten after following a youtuber’s example and then outcome the pitchforks AND the torches.

Obviously an Avicularia sp. bite is not a trip to the hospital and obviously there is no reason to handle Ts for a multitude of other reasons. But be very careful who you follow on YouTube.

• Agree Agree x 1