• For. They're fine

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Against. They're too fragile

Votes: 57 98.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mithricat

Arachnosquire
I thought the same way before I got my first sling. I have to admit the thought of eventually holding one was cool at first but frankly this thought doesn't last long when you get one.

What you're really thrilled about is the idea of handling the spider, not the actual handling. It's the adrenaline rush from the thought of having a dangerous animal in your hand.

And then you get one and you slowly realize they're not the dangerous creatures they appear, but rather they're fragile and majestic. The more you keep them the more you become infatuated with their behavior and personalities, and the less you want to actually hold them.

Will you get to hold one eventually? Very likely, if you have enough Ts one is bound to escape during a rehouse at some point and perhaps even crawl up your hand or tongs. Trust me through, if that happens you'll be more worried about hurting the spider than handling.

TL;DR you don't have to, you don't need to and you probably really don't want to.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. 100% against at 35 votes. Great job guys. Can't get much clearer than that.
Yep, this settles the issue. Until tomorrow, the day after, and the day after on ad infintum...

Kudos to those who actually have the patience to respond to these kinds of things over and over. Your struggle against the forces of inanity is hopefully helping save some spider lives.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am torn between handing and not handling my spiders. I fear that I will accendently injure one, but I also would love to handle them.
Go ahead and handle it, and if it dies, oh well, it learned the hard way. After all, pets are disposable, just something to accumulate and replace.:rolleyes:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
The only highly venomous inverts I handle are centipedes, as they actually will become very used to it. When it comes to practically anything else, I never handle "for the heck of it" but that doesn't mean they won't wind up on my hands by accident.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I am torn between handing and not handling my spiders. I fear that I will accendently injure one, but I also would love to handle them.
while yes it is risky for the spider its also risky for you for one handleing can cause unnecessary stress to a T and that stress could cause it to bite it doesnt benefit it in any way and in fact is risky so most of us do it rarely if ever and we recommend you do the same

LexBlack

Arachnopeon
I also learned the hard way and it litterly made me feel like the biggest idiot on the planet! My first T was a striped knee a 5yr female (Emma) :/ she was very sweet and docile and I liked the idea of holding her in my hand ! One day she decided she wanted to jump from my hand, and my enclosure was about 4 feet from the ground with no carpet at that time because I was moving her to a bigger one! Well it so happened that once it landed , the abdomen bursted ! It litterly broke my heart! I couldn’t believe what I’ve done! to have to freeze this poor little thing! They are super fragile and gentle and they do not understand human touch or behavior ! I used to be all about handling and now I would rather be safe and admire these beautiful creatures ! I have a 3yr Brazilian black that’s sitting not far from the ground that I could take care of and admire watch it grow and act weird ;) God this guy is weird I love him ;) it’s prob the coolest thing to admire for all of you that understand !

Attachments

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Me seeing this thread pop up and knowing there's gonna be a fight: :phantom: (closest thing to a looking through an opera glass from a distance emoji)

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Same thoughts when I'm new with the hobby, that its okay to hold them, feel them crawl up my arm (coz its what we normally do with other pets right?). But after a few months of experience and reading, I came to appreciate them better from afar. I won't handle 'em unless its really necessary so that I won't risk them getting hurt and stressed.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The few times I've handled were for the T's safety. The best example of this was when I first got my 3 inch Nhandu chromatus. I placed her in her enclosure and then clumsily knocked the lid off the table. By the time I picked it up she had climbed to the top and was about to go over the side. I was afraid she would fall so placed the palm of my hand in front of her. What happened next was pretty strange. She raised her front pair of legs then immediately put them down again, walked onto the palm of my hand and stopped there. She waited until I put my hand on the substrate then walked off my hand with no prodding from me. I know they don't have brains, therefore no thoughts, but it was almost as if she knew my intentions were good. Weird.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
That was a very nice save!! Handling should always be your backup plan. A catch cup (completely clear) with a clear lid and a paintbrush are your friends. You can actually view your T better through a crystal clear catch cup then on your hand.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
That was a very nice save!! Handling should always be your backup plan. A catch cup (completely clear) with a clear lid and a paintbrush are your friends. You can actually view your T better through a crystal clear catch cup then on your hand.
Funny thing was I had a catch cup and paint brush but when saw her about to go over I didn't even think of them, I just instinctively put my hand out.