1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling T's

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SnappyMantid, Apr 16, 2018.

For or against handling T's?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2018.
  1. For. They're fine

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Against. They're too fragile

57 vote(s)
    98.3%
  1. SnappyMantid

SnappyMantid Arachnopeon

Darwin
    Advertisement
    I am torn between handing and not handling my spiders. I fear that I will accendently injure one, but I also would love to handle them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I feel the burden of such a powerful doubt and question as well, my new virtual friend :) but, bit of solace, consider that there's people out there torn between 'eating or not eating tomorrow', so let's praise together Frank Capra, because our life is, yes... indeed 'Wonderful' :pompous:

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Lollipop x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

To handle - or not to handle?
    That is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The woes and sorrows of an unpettable pet,
    Or to lay hands upon that hairy spider
    And by mere holding, risk him. To bite - to fall -
    To fall, perchance to die - ay, there's the rub:
    For in that fall to ground what wounds may come?
    When he has shuffled off this mortal coil
    Do we then pause - was it well worth
    The cost that took your spider from this earth?

(Sorry - spent the afternoon at a dress rehearsal for my son's upcoming performance in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Guess I've got Shakespeare on the brain!)

• Like x 14
    • Award x 13
    • Funny x 4
    • Love x 4
    • Creative x 4
  4. SnappyMantid

SnappyMantid Arachnopeon

Darwin
    Wow... That explains a lot! I'll have to tell that to my green bottle blue tonight. Shakespider!

5. Bananafish

Bananafish Arachnopeon

usually no, to avoid injuries. but of course there are times when my OW T's would jump on my hand out of a sudden and I have to CAREFULLY do some hand kung-fu and try to not hurt it (or myself).

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

Against it, (I'm clumsy enough and) I don't wanna risk harming my pet(s).

If stuff goes wrong, they can end up in your hands, but I don't think one should just decide to pick them up out of their home ...and "risk it". It being their well-being and even that of others you live with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron

I am against. Against yet another threat about the pros and cons of handling! :troll:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  8. Your animal gains nothing from handling, but is put at risk if you attempt it. So why do it? With that being said.... If you choose to attempt to handle them, do so in a safe manner to minimize fall and escape risk. Personally, I wouldn't do it. My ego or enjoyment is not worth their life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    Against. There are no positives about handling them, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Belegnole

Belegnole Tarantula Guy Old Timer

WI
    Tarantulas get enough stress from general keeping. I strongly go against the idea of adding more stress plus the chance of injury by handling. Even though I occasionally have the urge to handle my "pets" I don't. I guess it helps that I have a worsening allergic reaction to the urticating hairs I come in contact with just from maintenance. Old world here I come....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vinny2915

Vinny2915 Arachnosquire

I don't think it is to big if i problem. I would never do it mainly because trying to grab a tarantula running all over you is very annoying, plus I keep mostly old worlds so a bite really isn't something I could brush off. With that being said, if I see someone else holding tarantulas regardless of species I don't care, it isn't my life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. starnaito

starnaito Arachnosquire

PA
    While I don't support handling, I do think you should be comfortable doing so in the event that one ends up on your hand. If something goes wrong during a cage transfer or maintenance and your response is to freak out, you might seriously injure the tarantula or provoke it to react defensively/flee. I recently had an escape (a harmless C. versicolor sling) during a cage transfer, but I simply coaxed it onto my hand and back in the enclosure. Since this happens regularly with my Chilean dwarf flame, who thinks she's entitled to come on out whenever the door is open, I'm able to react calmly. Once you have the experience of handling a tarantula, I think it's much easier to keep your composure in escape situations.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

One of my brachys crawled onto my hand.
    He pooped on me.

Handling Ts... Not even once.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. scott99

scott99 Arachnoknight

Texas
    This again:banghead:, how long do you have to be in the hobby to realized that handling is a bad idea; also it makes T owners looks like stuntmen or daredevils.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Don't let it get to you, my dude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I'm not looking for an adrenaline rush or trying to brag about something to my friends. That's immature behavior IMO. I want the animals to be as safe as is reasonably possible. You can still have bolts during feeding and maintenance, even if you're careful, but I'd never get them out on purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

Wow. 100% against at 35 votes. Great job guys. Can't get much clearer than that.

Yeah, just don't do it. There's no benefit to the spider and plenty of risk. It's a purely selfish thing to do.

18. Kymura

Kymura Arachnoknight

Just MPO, no offense meant,
    For me, the only time I have ever 'handled' was during my own ignorant mistakes and they were quicker then I was and got onto me during rehouse etc,
    they don't enjoy it, they get zero out of it, it will NOT 'tame' them, so why do it...
    If, for whatever reason they do get onto you, remain calm, move slowly and gently, these creatures are fragile, don't jump or fling the poor thing around.

wait, I lied, had a dehydrated rescue avic I did handle to drop water into her mouth. (it lived by the way)

19. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

That was a work of art! Well done!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. matypants

matypants Arachnopeon

Yes! Truly brilliant.

Also, with regards to handling-

• Funny Funny x 2