Handling time??

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Why not?? I handle most of my species np
Then there's no need for you to ask when the safest time is.
I don't handle because, Tarantulas are unpredictable, it stresses them, they gain nothing from it and you could risk a splat or an escapee.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Because tarantulas aren't exactly the smartest things in the world. They may bite or flick hairs unexpectedly which is bad for you or jump and bolt, either hurting itself or escaping which is bad for both of you. It's often not worth the risk. Even a docile species can and will bite if it wants, they may mistake a finger for an insect or perceive you as a threat. It totally depends on the individual T and its current mood which can change drastically in an instant

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
If you do handle:
  • Don't handle it right after or right before a molt. During Post/Premolt T's are especially fragile.
  • Hold the T very close to the ground, preferably over a pillow/other soft object in case of fall.
  • Don't handle if the T is obviously stressed, stress curling/running/attempting to hide ect.
  • Don't handle old worlds or any sp who can bolt very fast.
  • Preferably don't handle arboreals, since they are especially known for jumping.
  • Only handle a T who can easily fit in your hand.
  • Always test the temperament of a T before handling, gauge how they react to you opening/closing the enclosure, how they react when you use tongs to remove a water dish/bolus'. You can also test this during a rehouse when you brush their legs with a paintbrush to move them, if they act defensive/skittish, chances are they wouldn't want to be handled.
  • Restrict the amount of time handled, preferably not more then a few minutes at a time.
I don't handle or advocate handling but, those things should make it marginally safer.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Handling tarantulas isn't the smartest thing to do, you have asked when is the best time to handle them, I would say never.
I cannot stop you, but you are risking your spiders lives, taking a risk that is unnecessary - they get nothing from it except stress, and a risk of falling and/or biting you.
Your reaction may be to (accidentally) splat the spider, just don't do it.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
If you do handle the tarantula, do exactly what @Scarabyte says. If you get a new tarantula I'd test its temperament by gently brushing it with a paintbrush, you never know if that innocent looking Brachy wants to kill you in as many ways as possible

sasker

Arachnoprince
Don't do it right after or right before a molt.
Are you sure? I always have the feeling that tarantulas are quite vulnerable before a molt (see the 'help, my tarantula is leaking fluid whilst in heavy premolt'). You don't want to cause damage to the new skin even before your T molted. Right after a molt is even worse. Just leave a T that still needs to harden alone. It will be even more fragile then than normally.

Edit: I saw too late that you recommend DON'T handle before or after a molt. My bad! :D

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Are you sure? I always have the feeling that tarantulas are quite vulnerable before a molt (see the 'help, my tarantula is leaking fluid whilst in heavy premolt'). You don't want to cause damage to the new skin even before your T molted. Right after a molt is even worse. Just leave a T that still needs to harden alone. It will be even more fragile then than normally.
Yeah! That's what i meant, i said "Don't handle right before, or right after" Sorry if it came off wrong though :) The only "safe" time to handle would be when the T is not in premolt, and not in postmolt.
I cleared it up a bit more, hopefully sounds more clear now :)

ALSO EDIT: Just now saw your edit :p

sasker

Arachnoprince
Is there a particular time when it's safest for handling?? Like, after a meal etc. ??
If you had done a quick search on 'handling tarantulas' you would have found out that this is not really the best place to ask this question. It is a seriously controversial topic.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If you insist on handling -

Never while in premoult or just after a moult when still soft.

Always low and slow.

There is no benefit to you or your T when handling, only risk of injury to you or your T.
Can I say I have never done it. No
Is it really worth it? No.

We can't tell you what to do, but I just hope we don't see a 'help, my T fell' or bite report posted by you in future. We see this all too often.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you had done a quick search on 'handling tarantulas' you would have found out that this is not really the best place to ask this question. It is a seriously controversial topic.
Just felt that this needed repeating.

So let's keep it cordial, eh?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Unlike other pets, tarantulas do not enjoy being handled. At best, they may tolerate being handled. However, their temperament can change over time, and being wild animals, their behavior can be unpredictable.

Most of us recommend not handling due to the potential for injury to your tarantula. A tarantula -- especially a bulky terrestrial species -- can die from a ruptured abdomen if it falls even a short distance, particularly onto a hard surface. Moreover, if your tarantula bit you, you might reflexively fling it to its death.

If you decide to handle anyway, it is best to limit the frequency of handling and never to do so more than a few inches above a soft surface.

Whats the point of having a tarantulas if you can't hold them?
Tarantulas are generally considered to be more of an ornamental pet (like fish) than a pet that you play with or cuddle. If you want a small hairy animal you can handle regularly, get a pair of rats.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Here we go with the "handle vs don't handle". I've always gone with the line of "if you wanted a pet to handle, you should have got a hamster".

I don't handle any of mine, but mostly because I respect the animal and it stresses them out, but also because I react more than the average to the urticating hairs.