handling pockey species!!

tamjam69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My boyfriend enticed my miranda out to night, me being brave and wanting to hold my(expensive) baby + a bottle of wine, and her being so beautiful and me thinking she wont bite . could anyone tell me have they handled one, she has shown no aggression, so far. should I handle her or not. here are some pics. :drool:
heres some more pics of her

Attachments

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She really is beautiful, I'll admit you are braver than I am.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This reminds me of a paper I read that discussed how the vast majority of venomous snakebite cases in the US involve alcohol.

tamjam69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This reminds me of a paper I read that discussed how the vast majority of venomous snakebite cases in the US involve alcohol.

Probably,, but I will hold her again tonight when not drunk, I don't have a fear of spiders, perhaps if i get bitten, I may.... the day will probably come. Been handling t's for a few years now.:razz:

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only hold certain species whilst I am intoxicated.

I feel a stiff drink is just the thing to take the edge off when handling a spider that could indeed inflict copious amounts of annoying pain.
But... in my life often times my strategy has been to have enough liquid courage to just not know any better.
In fact in my mind, I have often related holding a tarantula to courting a girl in a public environment, some times it results in hours of annoying but not life threatening pain, but I still do it.
So it only stands to reason that just the right amount of booze can indeed help in victory or defeat.

Morkelsker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's really cool. Maybe I'll handle my pokie when she'll get older and less stressed than now. She's not agressive, but she's really nervous and fast.

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll tell you. My miranda and subfusca are the calmest T's I own, but I wouldn't even think of handling them. They just have too much potential for damage. The next time you handle it might be when you get bit.
Beautiful miranda by the way.

CFNSmok.PL

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree. Alcohol and T,s do not mix. You have very good looking T,s there and pictures are cool but I vote rather for silly than fearless.

Smok.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was mildly intoxicated when I decided to handle the only pokie I have, although it's a juvie. It gave me the confidence, and unlike driving or operating heavy machinery, it wasn't hard and I didn't screw up. Although since then I have quit drinking, and have handled the spider several times now. I think if I didn't take that step when I was tipsy, I wouldn't be brave enough to hold it sober. Everyone is different whilst drunk though, but don't make it seem like endangering the spider.

I want to mention again, not all people are the same, and everyone should use their best judgment on the matter.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't be brave enough to hold it sober.
Yes, that would be common sense going out the window. Alcohol give you just enough "bravery" to get in trouble. Like Smok mentioned...bravery and sillyness are interchangeable.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I dont know..the idea of a pokie bite pretty much turns me off from ever wanting to hold one. Those things can seriously screw you up if you take a bite from them..

tamjam69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have since handled her sober although we were not completely drunk just a little merry, I will always test her temperament first, I have always held all my t's apart from Charlotte my haplopelma.L, its personal preference and our choice to suffer the pain if bitten . thanks for all your comments though. {D

knightjar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pics and beautiful spider. But now that you've done it, don't keep pushing your luck. You can never be totally sure what a spider's reaction is going to be, but after reading the pokie bite reports I can be sure I don't want to experience that!