Handling OW post-molt a forbidden myth or unfortunate reality

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
I've observed that in general, even my grumpiest specimens, are reluctant to show defensive behaviour after molting. Now, I've seen people that claims to be able to handle even OBTs and Pokies like the sort of Ornatas after a fresh molt, stating that at this stage its fairly safe to handle them (not so for the spider though, with fresh fangs that can be easily damaged) and go on even for the sake of pic-show off. Nonethe-less my question regards more when to deal with a grumpy tarantula with rehousing is in mind. I know that standard techniques with the usual catch-cup/poking stick transfer works nicely, but in my experience the most gentle transitions happened after molts. Just curious to know what is your experience / opinion on the topic.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Doing anything with a freshly moulted tarantula is dangerous and not smart. They should be left alone to harden up before doing anything with them unless it is life saving and/or unavoidable. Please look to a more reliable source for proper information than people who handle medically significant species, freshly moulted or not, on social media.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As you say, the "standard techniques" work just fine even for defensive specimens. Not sure why anyone would introduce additional risks (i.e. messing with a spider right after a molt) when it's completely unnecessary to do so. Trying to use their post-molt vulnerability as a way to keep them calm for handling sounds even more twisted.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If the only time you feel comfortable caring for any animal,is when it's at it's most vulnerable.....you need to keep rocks in a box.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Post moult handling sounds like a very good way to get rid of a spider you don't want anymore.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've observed that in general, even my grumpiest specimens, are reluctant to show defensive behaviour after molting. Now, I've seen people that claims to be able to handle even OBTs and Pokies like the sort of Ornatas after a fresh molt, stating that at this stage its fairly safe to handle them (not so for the spider though, with fresh fangs that can be easily damaged) and go on even for the sake of pic-show off. Nonethe-less my question regards more when to deal with a grumpy tarantula with rehousing is in mind. I know that standard techniques with the usual catch-cup/poking stick transfer works nicely, but in my experience the most gentle transitions happened after molts. Just curious to know what is your experience / opinion on the topic.
Why would you handle them? Post moult, prepoult doesnt matter! And as said, freshly moulted tarantulas should never be desturbed

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My opinion is always the same: I don't get why some people desire so much to handle a venomous animal that doesn't gain nothing from that except bad news if things goes wrong.

Mah.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Handling a freshly molted tarantula could end up in the ultimate death of that T. A tarantula, after a fresh molt, is extremely fragile and vulnerable. The tarantula knows this... If you attempt to handle a freshly molted new world, old world or whatever world and the tarantula simply reacts defensively and try’s to tag you, the fangs could be damaged and ultimately kill the tarantula.
Molting time is “lookie but no touchie”.. or disturbie time.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If I had to rehouse surrounding a moult -- I'd rehouse PRE-moult; not post.
I find a pre-moult Ts sort of sluggish and they will still build a moulting web as needed in new enclosure.

As is, I've never rehoused a T anywhere near their moulting time, so actually a non-issue here.