Handling L.Parahybana

ARPotts

Arachnopeon
Hello there arachnoboards! I just wanted to see what people experiences are with handling L.P's? I got a sling a year ago (or so) and, from what I read in Stan's book, the best size to start handling these "Semi aggressive" species is when they span a coffee cup. Im aware it isnt advisable to interact with these guys like my snakes etc. but Id like to handle evey now and then, even if its onlt 5 mins every 2 weeks!
So. What are your experiences with the species? Whether they are young or older T's, male or female, share your thoughts!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A lot of us don't see any benefit in handling, especially since it's a risk to the spider (falling, being flung if it bites you, etc). Also keep in mind that Stan's primarily kept docile species for about 40 years and has been bit two dozen times. I have kept mostly fast and defensive species for the same length of time (lots of OW's), never handle, and have never been bit.

gobey

Arachnoknight
What size is yours.... I just got 2 of these at about 4". Already took an urtricating hair from one just housing it. And I learned that they are FAST. And mine at. Inches already have nearly half inch fangs so be very careful and prepared for speed and hair kicking.

RoseK

Arachnosquire
I have been keeping Ts for over 25 years, frequently handled docile NW specimens for educational demonstrations, and never been bitten. I hear people say all the time "My rosey loves coming out for a stroll" but really, Ts are not wired to bond with their owners and they get no pleasure or benefit from recreational handling. If anything, it can stress them. So if you do handle, keep it to a minimum and under safe conditions: no heights, etc.

When it comes to LPs, I don't personally find them to be aggressive at all: at least none of mine are. (Others on AB may have different experiences.) My 9" female was used as a teaching aid at the vet college because she's extremely tolerant when not in premolt, so the students could examine her. And my MM is notorious for settling down and grooming himself on people's hands. (See vid below)

[YOUTUBE]-egEq3VgP7A[/YOUTUBE]

Whatever you do, just be responsible. No showing off in front of friends by doing dumb things that could get the hobby in trouble.

Last edited:

ARPotts

Arachnopeon
I see and appreciate why people would not handle them. As for being in front of friends, this will be a solitary thing, on a soft surface (bed) with the door locked to ensure nobody walks in and startles the animal. The more I think about it the more I think its a selfish act to handle them, seeing as he would rather be left alone and I can easily get as much entertainment from merely observing these fascinating creatures. Think I shall keep handling to just my reptiles :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Probably smart. I was thinking that my rose hair would be my spider that i'd handle on occasion. But I finally saw her have a cranky mood shift. :(

My Avic will never bite. But it jumps and shoots poop which means it's defending itself still and is scared/ stressed.

So I'm holding off on holding spiders. For now while I'm new at least.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
This species is always hungry so it has an insatiable feeding response. I have a 5" male and there is no way your going to handle him. never kicks hair, but bites everything that enters the enclosure. I have a few LPs and a some LDs at 2"-3", they seem just as likely to bite, not out of anger, but more like they want to eat me.

If your going to want a tarantula for handling IMO you should choose another species

David VB

Arachnosquire
My LP is the only one i try to handle, just coz he/she (let's call it a he for now) is not aggressive or fast at all. I just have to tap it a bit with a brush for him to see it is no food coming to him to let him settle down and relax. But there is one 'problem' when it comes to the handling itself. I think he recognize my hand for some reason, coz whatever i try, he won't walk on my hand. He just walks around it. I never force him so i never actually could pick him up. I gonna keep trying from time to time but if he keeps refusing, i just let him be.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
LP's are very prone to abdomen ruptures, even at short falls. I had one for 6 years that reached 7.5", but I never handled it. I have one now that is probably 2-5-3", it isn't what I would describe as aggressive or even semi-aggressive.

It is a garbage disposal for anything live I put in that enclosure though.

David VB

Arachnosquire
LP's are very prone to abdomen ruptures, even at short falls. I had one for 6 years that reached 7.5", but I never handled it. I have one now that is probably 2-5-3", it isn't what I would describe as aggressive or even semi-aggressive.

It is a garbage disposal for anything live I put in that enclosure though.
Well, that garbage disposal thingie is not something mine is/has. He does eat of course, but not as i was expecting after reading stuff like yours. It normally takes some time before he even gets interested in his food. Nothing like my GBB, lol.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I got two Euathlus sp. Red slings because of their reputation as docile and curious. I think if one of mine came walking out of it's cage that would be the only time I would consider handling it. I have herded my B. Albopilosum onto my hand and it was not something that was particularly interesting. She was nervous and I just felt bad she was scared. The behavior the tarantulas exhibit overnight or during feeding is what really fascinates me. Handling just seems to be a pointless risk with tarantulas…though I do understand why people are tempted to do it. Interacting with species we are interested in does seem to be a natural inclination. I had it, then I did it, and then I got over it...

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Each spider is an individual, even within a species. Some may tolerate handling, others will not. My 7+ inch female's nickname is Demon Spawn. I spot clean her tank once a year when she is on her back molting, if I'm so lucky to catch her in the act. I found her recently righted last month and thought that I would have time while she was still weak from molting to clean up boluses and poop. Nope! This girl doesn't bother with hair flicking, she came after me with fangs bared, as is her norm. LP is the only spider in my collection with locks on her lid.

I have handled a few of my spiders for medical purposes, or accidental handling during rehousing. For the most part I treat them like tropical fish, nice to look at, not to touch. I've been keeping Ts off and on since 1978 and have never been bitten. Since I don't poke at or otherwise aggravate them, only a very few of my NW have even flicked hairs at me.